Point Break Indo - the sequel

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dunnc
regular

Point Break Indo - the sequel

Post by dunnc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 am

I was horrified to read the following news item:

"KEANU MISSES WAVE
As surfing movies go, Point Break was a memorable outing for Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze back in 1991.

Now SiT hears that a sequel, Point Break Indo, is to be partly shot in Queensland next year. Other filming locations include Singapore and Bali.

A film industry source said yesterday that neither Reeves, who played an FBI agent tracking down a group of surfing bank robbers, or Swayze, who was a mystical surfer-turned-safecracker, are expected to be involved.

The story is set 20 years after the disappearance of Swayze's character, Bodhi, with Jan de Bont believed to be directing. He is best known for Speed, Twister and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life and as the cinematographer for Die Hard and Basic Instinct.

Point Break Indo adds to the swelling amount of Hollywood production that seems to be heading to Australia now that the value of the dollar has dropped."

This would have to be pretty woeful, however as we have no real plotline what would you like to see in a sequel set 20 yrs on?

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Point Break Indo - the sequel

Post by Grooter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 am

Considering Swayze is nearly dead that's probably not going to fly for him to reprise his role.

Either way I think we'd all hate it in the same way that QuikRipABong would love it because Point Break had a massive influence in getting lots of people into taking up surfing.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:14 am

Did it really?? how in god's name do you prove that.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Did it really?? how in god's name do you prove that.
I guess when you look at it I was 15 in 1991 (which admitedly is around the time a lot of kids get into it) but the timing just seemed to be very coincidental. I say this because most kids my age and older at the time were heavy into skateboarding however this seemed to change overnight to surfing and boogering once Keanu, Patrick and a well-timed cameo from Anthony Kiedis made it seem a heck of a lot more cooler than it otherwise was perceived to be.

I don't know how you could prove it other than statistically look at the money the surf industry was making before and after Point Break. Happy to be corrected but my money is on Point Break making a significant improvement to the bottom line of these companies after it was released.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 pm

Personally I found it embarrassing to watch.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:39 pm

If I may, I would like to offer this shred of evidence in support of the theory that Point Break inspired people to take up surfing, from the article 'Vladivostok – Hawaii: First Steps' by Valery Gordeichuk, Kurungabaa Vol. 1 No. 3:

Surfing, a form of recreation? Don’t believe it: it’s a disease.

In the Hawaiian Islands you can surf all year round. But if you see waves only a few times a year? And you wait for them every day?

They should not have showed us the film
Point Break. Before we saw that film, none of us ever imagined what could be done on waves. We played around on our inflatable mattresses and were content.

Those of us who live in Vladivostok are lucky. The summer season begins in May and ends in October (although the earlier and later months of this period, with the water temperature at 10–15 degrees, will probably interest only fanatics in 5/3 fullsuits). Since childhood we’ve spent all our free time in the sea. Sometimes we even swam in huge waves.

For those who haven’t been to Vladivostok, I’ll point out that our city lies in a beautiful location on a peninsula stretching from the northeast to the southwest. To the south lies a row of islands. You can watch the sun rise on one side of the peninsula and set on the other. The city and most of the camping areas and hotels are located on the western side. The southern and eastern coasts are wilder and less populated. Waves come to the southeast coast from the Sea of Japan, so only those who go to that part of the peninsula know about them. Usually a typhoon with its centre somewhere over Japan will create the long-awaited waves. They’ll reach us the day after stormy weather – for mere mortals, bad weather, but for windsurfers and surfers, the stuff of dreams...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I was working on a learn to surf camping tour for much of the late nineties/2000's.
I can vouch for the fact that "Point break" (possibly the worst film ever made....only saved by Keanu Reeves unintentionally hilarious performance) had a MASSIVE impact on the psyches of learner surfers particularly Euros and Poms.
That's anecdotal evidence based on conversations with thousands of learners.
By the way, I'd estimate the number of those learners who went on to become regular hard-core surfers at less than one percent.
They kept their high paying jobs in the cities and dabble on the weekends. Seems the romance of the idea is more attractive then the reality of being a low wage hardcore surfer.
Steve
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:05 pm

steve shearer wrote:They kept their high paying jobs in the cities and dabble on the weekends. Seems the romance of the idea is more attractive then the reality of being a low wage hardcore surfer.
I reckon it works in reverse too ... :idea:
for many who started as a grom, the prospect later in life of surfing less to earn more money is something we don't want to have to face up to ...

I know it does happen though ... I surf with a guy fairly often who is doing very, very, very well due to massive committment to his career, and still surfs almost every morning and pretty damn well at 50 ...

unfortunately hasn't happened for me and what I do manage to earn is swiftly consumed by the 4 women of my household ... :?