New Surf Wax Formula's

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: New Surf Wax Formula's

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:54 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 pm

sarsaparilla and do I have to ask again :roll:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 pm

LONGINUS wrote:Hey guys,

I have just finished a new formula Cold, Warm and Tropical Wax..
No offence mate, but seeing as this is a public forum I have to ask.
Why?
Isn't the currently available wax perfectly suited to the job of maintaining traction on a surfboard.
Seems to me you'd have an easier time selling a new brand of air....."hey try this new kind of air...works perfectly "
"ahhh no thanks breathing fine already".
I'm on expert on commerce but I always wonder when I see people launch a new product in a crowded marketplace.
Are you particularly passionate about wax?
Please don't take offence, just wonderin'.
Steve
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:Hey guys,

I have just finished a new formula Cold, Warm and Tropical Wax..
No offence mate, but seeing as this is a public forum I have to ask.
Why?
Isn't the currently available wax perfectly suited to the job of maintaining traction on a surfboard.
Seems to me you'd have an easier time selling a new brand of air....."hey try this new kind of air...works perfectly "
"ahhh no thanks breathing fine already".
I'm on expert on commerce but I always wonder when I see people launch a new product in a crowded marketplace.
Are you particularly passionate about wax?
Please don't take offence, just wonderin'.
Steve
No probs at all Steve. I happened to stumble across a meeting with a Russian chemist who was also a molecular physicist and had him review what was as you say, 'a product that was working fine' from a completely different angle. He is not a surfer and had no awareness of existing surf wax. My brief to him was - develop a petrochemical wax made entirely of naturallly occuring products that will grip human flesh to fibreglass as efficiently as possible in varying temperatures. He developed a POLAR surf wax that is not in release yet that is for use in near freezing temperatures. In order for it to maintain grip and standard wax characteristics at such temperatures it is liquid at room temperature. I have his prototype formula sitting in my office in a jar. That really impressed me, getting someone to look at a product from a completely different angle.

I hear what you are saying though, I think it would be a very big call to go into business at the moment with an idea of making a living just selling wax. Having surf wax as a product in a suite of products mitigates the risk a whole lot more though which is what we have done.

Let me know if you want to try some out
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:08 am

give it a coca leaf smell :D

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:10 am

Would love to try it out.
I've got a sweet 6'5" Mitchell Rae flextail that is just about ready to be re-waxed in preparation for some real waves.
Can't seem to make the pm thing work.
Thanks for the considered response.
Steve
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Just PMed you mate, let me know if you have any hassles
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Cheers Iggy,

That great feedback. Because the formula is designed to adhere to either fibreglass or itself it would definetly require a light comb when applied onto existing wax. What you should see though is that it will maintain that 'fresh coat of wax' stickiness for quite a while, all you will really need to do is comb it and top it up every now and then. It hopefully means that you can get away with a lot less wax on a clean board and not end up with useless residue. Did you find the comb that came with it useful for the task and the right size or a little small?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Just got back from the Goldy and the wax worked a treat although it does tend to also stick to your boardies a bit more than some of the other brands.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:46 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:28 am

LONGINUS wrote:My brief to him was - develop a petrochemical wax made entirely of naturallly occuring products...
Longi, ummm, am I reading this correctly?

What is it... petrochemical or natural? Or are petrochemicals considered natural?

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Longy,
For some reason I cannot PM!! Ggrrrrrrr!!! So thought I would contact you through here. Sorry for the terribly late reply mate, I got sent a "surfing atlas" shirt from you ages ago.
Anyway the shirt I received was a charcoal/black shirt with blue/white print.
Firstly the colour was great..love it and the print was great as well not too overpowering but just enough to break up the shirt and state the product. Was just like something I would purchase for myself.
The fabric was good, comfortable and never creased up when left in a washing pile.
The size was a good snug fit but personally a little too small for me, a large would have been better. But that's not an issue with the shirt just ordering from the internet. Saying that i still wear it.

So all in all a good product that has been positively commented on by mates.
Cheers
PS and of that warm water wax left??