Multi-boarders? who are ya?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

what different types of do you ride on a regular basis?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 am

1 type only
17%
2 types
30%
3 types
27%
4 types
13%
5 types
3%
More than 5
10%
Camels and cats.
No votes

Total votes: 30

WANDERER
Owl status

Multi-boarders? who are ya?

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

(SEE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR POLL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE VOTING)

How many of you ride a different type of board on a regular basis? By that I mean fundamentally different as in Mal, fish, single fin, shorty, booger, SUP (or windsurfer with boat oar) etc etc?

I got back on shorter boards about two years ago after having exclusively riden mals for about 6-8 years (including about 8 months of only riding a 9'8" 1963 Woods D-fin), before then I rode both shortboard and mal for a while. I'll freely admit that in my late teens to late twenties I did have a chip on my shoulder about being a mal rider, I found it annoying to the point that I was always trying to prove my worth by riding my mal even when it was clear that it was not the right board for the conditions, these days though I've mellowed significantly and am a much happier chap for being back on shorter boards when conditions suit. My working quiver consists of a shorty (well, a big boy shorty at least) a twin keel and a log, getting used to swapping between them took me some time, but the end result is that I can get a surf in most days that I want to, I still feel the glares cutting through me when I'm on the mal in the midst of a gaggle of shortboard folk, but thems the breaks, its funny, when I'm on my shorty I'm invisible, on the mal I'm the sore thumb sticking out, funnier still is that on the shorty I can be a wave hound and get heaps of waves, but when I'm on the mal I let plenty go through and try to stay out of the way, I don't know whether the other surfers notice or appreciate it, but at the least it makes me feel better, if there's one thing that I hate being a mal rider first and foremost, its those cunce that use their mal to snaffle any wave like thing that moves, operating in a completely selfish manner, I'm all for these guys getting a talking to, I've done it myself on occasion (both whilst riding a mal and a shorty) most days there is plenty of waves to go around and the only thing that ruins the vibe is the few selfish malakas with no concern for their fellow surfer (doesnt have to be a hippy thing, just not being a selfish prick)

Anyhow… I'm waffling, back on topic, how many of you are multi-boarders? And what are your differing experiences when riding different craft?

Board type categories for the poll above, Please make your vote based on how many different boards you would ride in a regular 2-4 week period:

- Shortboards (all regular manifestations and fin qauntities),
- Mals (including minimals),
- Old mals (pre 1970 over 8'6")
- Fish (the traditional twin or quad keel variety - semifish type things fall under "shortboards"),
- Hybrids / mid lengths / nuggets,
- Vintage (all old twinnies, singles, 80s thrusters - not old mals)
- Boogie boreds,
- SUP,
- Kneelos,
- twinnies (modern),
- singles (modern).

bohdidontsurf
Local

Re: Multi-boarders? who are ya?

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 am

WANDERER wrote:(SEE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR POLL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE VOTING)

How many of you ride a different type of board on a regular basis? By that I mean fundamentally different as in Mal, fish, single fin, shorty, booger, SUP (or windsurfer with boat oar) etc etc?

I got back on shorter boards about two years ago after having exclusively riden mals for about 6-8 years (including about 8 months of only riding a 9'8" 1963 Woods D-fin), before then I rode both shortboard and mal for a while. I'll freely admit that in my late teens to late twenties I did have a chip on my shoulder about being a mal rider, I found it annoying to the point that I was always trying to prove my worth by riding my mal even when it was clear that it was not the right board for the conditions, these days though I've mellowed significantly and am a much happier chap for being back on shorter boards when conditions suit. My working quiver consists of a shorty (well, a big boy shorty at least) a twin keel and a log, getting used to swapping between them took me some time, but the end result is that I can get a surf in most days that I want to, I still feel the glares cutting through me when I'm on the mal in the midst of a gaggle of shortboard folk, but thems the breaks, its funny, when I'm on my shorty I'm invisible, on the mal I'm the sore thumb sticking out, funnier still is that on the shorty I can be a wave hound and get heaps of waves, but when I'm on the mal I let plenty go through and try to stay out of the way, I don't know whether the other surfers notice or appreciate it, but at the least it makes me feel better, if there's one thing that I hate being a mal rider first and foremost, its those cunce that use their mal to snaffle any wave like thing that moves, operating in a completely selfish manner, I'm all for these guys getting a talking to, I've done it myself on occasion (both whilst riding a mal and a shorty) most days there is plenty of waves to go around and the only thing that ruins the vibe is the few selfish malakas with no concern for their fellow surfer (doesnt have to be a hippy thing, just not being a selfish prick)

Anyhow… I'm waffling, back on topic, how many of you are multi-boarders? And what are your differing experiences when riding different craft?

Board type categories for the poll above, Please make your vote based on how many different boards you would ride in a regular 2-4 week period:

- Shortboards (all regular manifestations and fin qauntities),
- Mals (including minimals),
- Old mals (pre 1970 over 8'6")
- Fish (the traditional twin or quad keel variety - semifish type things fall under "shortboards"),
- Hybrids / mid lengths / nuggets,
- Vintage (all old twinnies, singles, 80s thrusters - not old mals)
- Boogie boreds,
- SUP,
- Kneelos,
- twinnies (modern),
- singles (modern).
Good thread, I like.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 pm

2 for me - standard shorty and a pin-ish tail single fin

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Nice topic I like it.

I change it up between my 9'6" Classic Mal California, 6'1" MORE quad fat bat and 6'4" Thomas twin keel.

I tend to ride the mal/twinny on the points up here (unless its big then im out on the fat bat) and the fatbat/twinny on the beaches.

Like rocking up at the beach and thinking "ok, what do I want to ride today".

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:43 pm

tomtom wrote:2 for me - lid & a 6'0 quad fin fish. Wouldn't mind getting a mal in the near future.
^^^^ Explains a lot. ^^^^

6' 6" MR Twinnie (Modern) - note stuck to the strict categories.

7' 0" Bryne Gun

7' 2" Dahlberg Gun but that's for surf I'm starting to realise if I want to keep surfing those size waves I have to keep going out in those size waves.
Last edited by Buff_Brad on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:08 pm

2 but sometimes 3.... I too stuck to the guidelines but within my 2 board tyoes they can vary hugely...some Fat-Bats, some hybrid shorty's some traditional shorty's ,3, 4 and even a 6 finner..., and then some new and different materials too... love the option of surfing a different board in different waves, although sometimes I dont know what I wanna ride....

sometimes there is a bit of a look and a vibe when riding a slightly less mainstream design until they see that is goes well and you can surf a bit ( only a bit...no big head here...) :roll: 8), and then there is interest in what you are riding... 8)

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Here's another question-what actually gets you out on another board.Do you load your quiver in the car and take them all to the beach-do you check the forecast and take a board that might be suited or do you just say " I might try something different today."
I surf anywhere from the central coast to Kiama on any given day but I usually take my 6'6 swallow tail.If I took a board for all different types of surf I would need a truck to carry them.As it is, my 6'6 is a compromise( I'm 6'3 and 90kgs),as I could be surfing ( say a south swell like today) overhead waves where the board is to small or the best I might find is a wind-protected southern corner where the waves are small or anything in between. The benefit is (from my perspective ) I don't have to think about whats under my feet when I take off, as I usually do when I change to another board. Of course, if it's much bigger I take my 6'10 but thats not very often.
Any thoughts/comments?

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:16 pm

we never had much money so I have always surfed with whatever i can get my hands on.

I started on half a coolite (nose end), then a bodyboard, then big single fin that has given me more blood noses than myy older brother, now I have an old 6'10 thruster and a 6'8, which is too long and not wide enough.

Next board will be a custom thruster, but I have fun with what I have anyway.

I can bodysurf pretty well too.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Having alot of room in my car allows for more variety.

5+ for me...not always a good thing swapping so much as i tend to get quite confused and sometimes don't surf at all.

2 different shortboards
a 6'10" egg
2 different old mals.
2 different logs

this is my workable realistic sydney quiver...if im travelling add and subtract some designs and sizes depending on destination.
Last edited by Longygrom on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:22 pm

lessormore wrote:Here's another question-what actually gets you out on another board.Do you load your quiver in the car and take them all to the beach-do you check the forecast and take a board that might be suited or do you just say " I might try something different today."
I surf anywhere from the central coast to Kiama on any given day but I usually take my 6'6 swallow tail.If I took a board for all different types of surf I would need a truck to carry them.As it is, my 6'6 is a compromise( I'm 6'3 and 90kgs),as I could be surfing ( say a south swell like today) overhead waves where the board is to small or the best I might find is a wind-protected southern corner where the waves are small or anything in between. The benefit is (from my perspective ) I don't have to think about whats under my feet when I take off, as I usually do when I change to another board. Of course, if it's much bigger I take my 6'10 but thats not very often.
Any thoughts/comments?
I usually just slip 2 or 3 in the wagon, its not too hard and I have a good knowledge of my local breaks so I usually know where I will be surfing and have some idea of swell size...Not a big fan of the internet surf checks, takes the experience and local knowledge out of the equation...good for travelling , not for everyday surfing round home...If I have a board that I really am keen on, like now with my CDD/epoxy, then it comes every surf and a Fat-Bat always is in there too and maybe something else depending on conditions.... 8)

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:42 pm

The following.....

- Shortboards (all regular manifestations and fin qauntities)...Darcy 6'8" swallow tail.

- Mals...Tolhurst 9'1"

- Old mals (pre 1970 over 8'6")...Gordon Woods late 60's

- Fish (the traditional twin or quad keel variety)...Darcy twin keel 6'4"

- Hybrids / mid lengths / nuggets...Dick Van Straleen 7'6" pin tail "point break model"

- Kneelos...6' David Parkes Quad.

Quite the f**cking renaissance man hey...:roll:

Haven’t ridden the 6’8” in a bit…stuck on the other stuff.

Got back on the cripple stick about six months ago…after about 16 years on normal boards….Yeh I know….and you can all get f**ked...he...he...he...crazy old kneeboarders. :twisted:

rock
Grommet

Post by rock » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:43 pm

6' 4" shortboard

6' Tolhurst 2+1

8' mini mal (haven't got enough space to keep a mal but this does the job on small days)

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:08 pm

6'10" ... 6'6" ... 6'4" ... this is all I have to say on the subject ...

Beerfan

boards

Post by Beerfan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Keel fish, and egg. I also have a 6'5'' single fin, but it doesnt get much water time. If i had a longboard, i would absolutely ride that too. im saving up for one.

No matter how good i surf on one board, i'll only go 3 or 4 surfs, then swap. I just like having different boards to ride. probably doesnt help my improvement in surfing, but i dont really care.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:6'10" ... 6'6" ... 6'4" ... this is all I have to say on the subject ...

and one ghey dog...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 pm

^^^^^

not anymore ... nuted two weeks now ...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:^^^^^

not anymore ... nuted two weeks now ...
Calvin the cav?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:57 pm

1 9'4 longboard
1 7'6 minimal
1 6'7 (i think) nugget shortboard
4 bodyboards (more at mums)
4 or more macdonalds trays in the boot and some kfc trays in the shed (the red ones are easier to find)
2 70's singlefins
1 single fin pig thing (could be an antique)
plus an assortment of old yellowing single fins, twinnies and six channells that guard and i swap (or he steals and leaves in the sun under a sappy tree).
had a 1 1/2' piece of wood at g land shaped by local gecho with machette for bodysurfing kongs, gave that back to him.