maurice cole surfboards...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

maurice cole surfboards...

Post by brendo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:44 pm

..any one ridden em or got one currently? i know hes shaped plenty of boards for the pros but havent heard of him much in recent times. i saw a rack of his boards going for 450 today :shock:

havent ridden a rack board in 17yrs, but fark, one of em looked real nice, and for 450...

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Had a few good ones in the past - definitely a class shaper. Tried one of the 'Mermaid' models about 18 months ago - unusual squared-off swallow tail, with very edged rails and plenty of concave. (seen some of these on sale around the traps) Built for speed. Went well with speed, but, yes, those rails will feel catchy in slop. But it was a 'clean' feeling board if that makes sense - lots of release and carved well on the face. $450 IS a bargain: seems like there's a whole lot of extra boards on the East Coast at the moment; they're being moved around to try to sell 'em.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: maurice cole surfboards...

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:19 pm

brendo wrote:..any one ridden em or got one currently? i know hes shaped plenty of boards for the pros but havent heard of him much in recent times. i saw a rack of his boards going for 450 today :shock:

havent ridden a rack board in 17yrs, but fark, one of em looked real nice, and for 450...
Where? (please)

And speaking of rack some people spend that sorta money on China White.

Cheap as chips.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:28 pm

i'd suspect it's a factory ghost shape with his signiture stencilled in :?

not that means it's a bad board :idea:

boards are getting cheaper

i've seen new boards on the rack from $375 on the goldy

and some them looked like they go good too :shock:

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:32 pm

triple bull outlet at taren point. got a flyer in the post and was drivin past so i thought id have a look.

they also got a few dalhbergs for 450 and some dhd and simon anderson boards for 550.

i can get boards off my shaper ive been using for a long time for same price, but like rooting chicks and driving cars...its always good to try something different aflter a while :lol:

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:54 pm

some of maurices boards are coming from OFFShore these days .. if you could get the real thing... they are epic.... get the dahlberg... or ask where the maurice was made... beware

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

boardscape is mistaken. Maurice's label is pure home grown. I've had a few of his boards over the years and he is a designer capable of coming up with authentic magic. Not so much "ghost shaper" as cnc machine cut and hand finished, like most well-made boards these days. I have a couple of his boards right now, a 5'10" deep concave "moontail" swallow and a 6'0" pro-tow type (essentially a towboard made for paddling) -- they're both pretty extreme surfboards but both have a life and energy within 'em that you don't find in many designers' work. For sure they're not for everyone, but what is?

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:01 pm

i love his boards also Nick, but there are boards out there with rip curl and maurices decal on them that are from outside aus. NOT saying that the boards being talked about in this thread are.. shit im interested in the tripple bull stock as they are below cost and probably great, his ghost shaper over the last 3 to 5 yrs ( GARTH) is a very good shaper in his own right and even if he did them they will be of very high standard.. i didnt want to elaborate to much on that as i am mates with those concerned. i should not jump to conclusions , but tripple bull in the past did retail gsi boards (thailand) webbers etc. they flopped horribly in that store as the client base werent into it.... no disrespect intended to anybody ...sorry bout my shit spellin, i know it offends some people :?

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:41 am

I know the guy who's redesigning the MC website. Hopefully, it should be up soon.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:15 pm

when ever a shop puts multiple board brands on sale such as tripple bull appear to have done in this case SERIOUS bargains are to be had... nothing sinister in it just a win for the buyer ... good on them

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:07 pm

boardscape...there were a couple of webbers as well..didnt take much notice they looked like pop outs...

the only thing with the maurice boards....they leave them outside all day in the racks...so theyve lost the brightness and are looking a bit dull...not yellow, but perhaps on their way...4 more weeks in the sun they might be 350 :lol:

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:46 pm

^^^^^ NICE AND CURED THEN....i saw on the webcast at haliewa one of the guys yesterday riding a 5 yr old board , the comentators were talking about it a bit. oldie but a goodie

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Out of interest, are the MC boards that you recently saw using RedX fins?

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:28 pm

no fins in em, and i didnt ask what fins they had for em.

i only had a quick look around. might go back this weekend for a closer look

Regnis

Post by Regnis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:12 pm

hey guys i just thought i'd bring this topic back up again. A few months ago I had my eye on a maurice cole 'tow pro' board. However, i ended up getting a locally made one. I snapped this board on the weekend.

I therefore have been looking at these 'tow-pro' boards again, and after listening to maurice interview on 'down the line' i have become even more intrigued.

Was just wondering if anyone around here owns or has ridden one of these boards? Also wondering how much they paid for it?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm

hi regnis, ask NC, i think he had one
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:38 am

bump...

after listening to his podcast, im very keen to hear from anyone who has ridden these new boards of his.....

they sound almost too good to be true, almost good enough to order a entire quiver....

has to be someone out there who has ridden his new 2010 range?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:14 am

Umm, been testing and surfing quite a few MCs over the past two years, pro-tow and metro with various twists.

Maurice is a sort of a genius designer who is working on something nobody else other than Greg Webber is really tackling -- super deep concaves with hard line release. The boards are super fast, lift and accelerate hard down the line and in turns, and are extremely toey. You can go a fair bit shorter on 'em because of how much ground they cover, the ones I'm riding at the moment are 5'7" and 5'8" and they're easily handling solid 4-5' waves. Around Bells time MC did a fair bit of tweaking to outlines, pulled the widths in a bit and got the curves matched to the rockers, which seems to be the trick with deep concaves. This took the things a bit further and I'm finding it hard to move from them to other boards and back because of the difference in performance. I don't think they're for intermediate surfers especially in uneven beachbreak conditions, they're a bit too "supercar" for that, but if you're looking to give your surfing a serious kick in the arse, they'll definitely do that.