ASP 2009 Schedule - NO FIJI!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dunnc
regular

ASP 2009 Schedule - NO FIJI!

Post by dunnc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I noticed the new Schedule is set for next year with a notable omission: Fiji :!:

Not happy - I love cloudbreak action and also low tide restaurants.

In one of the better moves though, they have replaced it with moving the Brazil leg for during their winter, which hopefully get better swell and might get most of the top 15 showing up at least :)

http://www.aspworldtour.com/2008/schedu ... ?rRat=mwct

I reckon having less events is shoddy from a spectator view as I get to spend less time at work watching the heats on demand...but in reality I reckon it'll make the title chase a little more interesting considering the potential for the new heat formatting at some of the events - not to mention more prizemoney for most of the events to compensate.
What are your thoughts?

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Interesting interesting.

Maybe because it comes after Chopes and thus is "yet another perfect South Pacific left reef". Too much repetition, you know: yawn - not this same-old same-old perfect left reef stuff - the audience wants constant change and entertainment.

Hence - The Search format: take it somewhere else! Difference, novelty, entertain the masses - like the Romans and their Games. Massacred a few Gauls and crucified some Christians? Well, throw them to the lions next time, and roast the Gauls over a slow flame.

Or could it be left/right balance?

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast: RIGHT
Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach: RIGHT
Billabong Pro Teahupoo: LEFT
Hang Loose Santa Catarina Pro: BEACH?
Billabong Pro J-Bay: RIGHT
Boost Mobile Pro pres by Hurley: RIGHT
Quiksilver Pro France: BEACH
Billabong Pro Mundaka: LEFT
Rip Curl Pro Search:EITHER
Billabong Pipeline Masters: LEFT

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 pm

More like Globe is an economic basketcase that was struggling in boom times and now would have to be terminal. Apparently the given reason is political instability in Fiji, but that is complete bs. It's not going to be an easy year for the world of pro surfing.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Globe can't support the event next yr. Look at the share price and the latest reporting.

There'll be other casualties on the schedule for sure.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Globe can't support the event next yr. Look at the share price and the latest reporting.

There'll be other casualties on the schedule for sure.
Might have to have a WCT event at Bondi. Still a lot of money around here despite the Babcock and Browns of the world nearly going bust. Mind you it's going to get worse so yeah more casualties ahead for sure. I might sponsor one. The Buff_Brad Pro. KK can be the beach marshall cause he's like big and tough and stuff.

Yeah yeah get fcuked.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:02 pm

definitely financial problems .. just like globe to blame it on fiji being unsafe. i wonder if that govt will remember those remarks when another sponsor picks up the venue in future, i remember globe using the same excuse a season or so ago..one of the hill brothers has his home on the market up here for 30 mil . HES DREAMING.It was all over the media , there he was next to the real estate agent claiming hes not in any financial difficulty, he just wanted to re-locate to sunny orange county....thats funny , wot about the political unrest !

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 pm

I am sooo disappointed it all boils down to money. Gee, we would never imagine that the hallowed art of surfboard riding has stooped to such lows.

Cash-for-cutback scandal. If we're lucky, we'll see naked capitalism expose itself even further: a surf contest where, after the best air, the winning contestant paddles in and has $ stuffed in his board shorts by nubile wenches. They in turn wiggle and jiggle and have $ stuffed in their bikinis. The head of the ASP stands on the podium and tosses cheap boardies, crap sunnies, showbags of surf junk to the scrabbling masses huddled below. Pro-surfers have OMO and Telstra stamped in huge letters on their boards... etc.

Not far from that now really.

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:42 pm

where could be a likely location for the "somewhere" event in october?

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm

mr vic wrote:where could be a likely location for the "somewhere" event in october?
I actually want to see Margaret River get up from the WQS to the WCT. October is not such a good month there, but it remains a really testing break when on. (of course being from WA has nothing to do with my humble opinion) They could go on after Bells in Autumn - Margs in May - that would sort out some of the weak-kneed types with spongey rails and wobbly fins.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:24 pm

mr vic wrote:where could be a likely location for the "somewhere" event in october?
Europe.

Probably Ireland.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:31 pm

rip curl should jump onto fiji, its a great event, let the" somewhere " thing die. its silly...

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Yep - Fiji is pretty up there - but ...

THE RIPCURL GUINNESS DONEGAL CLASSIC

has a certain ring to it, begorragh!

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:06 pm

While we're on the topic of surf icons in major do do, check out quikky.
Posted date: 11/13/2008

Quiksilver Completes Rossignol Sale

By Michael Lyster

Orange County Business Journal Staff

Quiksilver Inc. has closed the sale of its struggling Rossignol unit for $50 million, or about 40% of what it had hoped to get in August and a fraction of the $560 million it paid for the French ski maker in 2005.

The company sold the business to a former Rossignol executive, Australia’s Macquarie Group Ltd. and Jarden Corp., a Rye, N.Y., maker of outdoor products.

The sale was made up of $38 million in cash and $12 million in debt. Quiksilver plans to use the proceeds to pay down debt.

That the sale closed at all was a relief to investors and analysts, who have pushed for Quiksilver to unload the businesses.

Quiksilver bought Rossignol with high hopes of boosting winter sales to build on its clothing business, which typically is strongest in spring and summer.

The largest maker of surf-inspired clothes, Quiksilver was looking to take a page from Nike Inc., which grew from shoes and clothes into a maker of a vast amount of sports equipment as well.

But Rossignol, which was losing money and market share when Quiksilver bought it, proved to be a constant drag on the company’s profits.
$510m is a fairly hefty loss. Hell of lot of boardies. Quik share price has nosedived from $15 a year ago to just over $1.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Morocco?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:23 pm

They should do the lot!
Over to Margaret River to pick up some nice reds.
Jet over to Morocco for a bit of the good old Moroccan.
Then over to Ireland… cold waves…warm women....... and Guinness.

And the accent……….don’t forget the accent.

Ooh unt noo un chucks ya spullun un Irelund.

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:31 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Europe.

Probably Ireland.
Europe makes sense i guess. i would love to see an event in Ireland!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:20 am

It's been looking a bit light on for a couple of years now.....I mean WTF happened to Japan.
More than a month between contests is a bit of a joke.
The actual amount of surfing the pros are doing makes any kind of "athlete" call a bit farcical; especially with jetskis in the mix.
No wonder Slater is still making 'em all look stupid.
He barely has to paddle.
Now that the excitement of Fanning winning has died and it's back to the status quo it's all starting to look a bit same 'ol.
Taj chokes, Parko can't close, Andy spits the dummy, Dane doesn't care.
Could be some lean times ahead.
2 seasons of shit surf doesn't help either.
I'm just stoked that Rip Curl pulled out of their plan to hold the Search event at Lennox point next year: that is a tired concept that needs to be buried.....I mean phucking Ulus?
What marketing genius thought that up?
Steve

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 am

steve shearer wrote:..I mean phucking Ulus?
What marketing genius thought that up?
Steve
Kay.

I thought Ulus was a pretty good contest and they even got Pandang Pandang. Better than a lot of spots and to see the pros ride waves us mere mortals ride gives an interesting comparision.

Pros aren't that great. :wink: