ASP 2009 Schedule - NO FIJI!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:06 am

Buff_Brad wrote:
steve shearer wrote:..I mean phucking Ulus?
What marketing genius thought that up?
Steve
Kay.

I thought Ulus was a pretty good contest and they even got Pandang Pandang. Better than a lot of spots and to see the pros ride waves us mere mortals ride gives an interesting comparision.

Pros aren't that great. :wink:
Sorry, misunderstanding....I mean the concept of calling Ulu's "Somewhere in Indo".
What a joke.
Methinks RipCurl were merely trying to save money after the disaster of Chile.
Steve

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:07 am

i'm all for a lower budget, lower comfort, more morally and spiritually testing world tour.

watching pros being picked up - whining and bitching - from the comfort of their hotel room and being deposited out the back with barely a drop of water on them is not sport.

i want suffering.

ulu's WAS good 'cos some of them got bloodied. and some of them looked kinda bewildered out there. and that's without the normal crowd. that's good. they looked silly. all the better.

i want to see MASSIVE paddle outs in FREEZING waves after a THREE DAY guiness bender. i want failed duckdives and vomitting in the lineup. and i want to watch the whole thing live and in realtime from the first pint of guiness to the last evil shut down.

is it possible to surf your opponent to death?.

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 am

steve shearer wrote:It's been looking a bit light on for a couple of years now.....I mean WTF happened to Japan.
More than a month between contests is a bit of a joke.
The actual amount of surfing the pros are doing makes any kind of "athlete" call a bit farcical; especially with jetskis in the mix.
No wonder Slater is still making 'em all look stupid.
He barely has to paddle.
Now that the excitement of Fanning winning has died and it's back to the status quo it's all starting to look a bit same 'ol.
Taj chokes, Parko can't close, Andy spits the dummy, Dane doesn't care.
Could be some lean times ahead.
2 seasons of shit surf doesn't help either.
I'm just stoked that Rip Curl pulled out of their plan to hold the Search event at Lennox point next year: that is a tired concept that needs to be buried.....I mean phucking Ulus?
What marketing genius thought that up?
Steve
Love it Steve. All so true.

I am over the world tour and 'pro' surfing. Boring.

And what a discrace for rip curl to try to have a contest at Lennox and West Oz.

And even if they do find off the beat places for the "somewhere" comp do they really think the surfing public is going to be proud of the fact they are advertising it to the whole world?

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:42 am

steve shearer wrote:
Sorry, misunderstanding....I mean the concept of calling Ulu's "Somewhere in Indo".
What a joke.
Steve
Yeah agreed on that point - the "Somewhere in Indo" backfired somewhat.

It's a fcuking scary market out there and looking to get worse.......could be some mergers out of all this mess.......QuikRipBill Pty Ltd.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
What a joke.
Steve

It's a fcuking scary market out there and looking to get worse.......could be some mergers out of all this mess.......QuikRipBill Pty Ltd.

They may as well be the same company...

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:48 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:

That whole "Somewhere" concept is just fu.cking brain dead if you ask me. They can't win. They are either exposing a relatively unknown spot to the masses or trying to cover up the fact that the contest is actually being held at one of the most famous surf spots on the planet while they continue with the "Somewhere in Indo" BS. A roving contest at a great surf spot is a great idea but FFS why treat people like idiots who can't work out where it is??

Makes you wonder how far from the core surfing values these behemoths have now gone?

Do they still make a fair chunk of the profits from real surfers and their functional ranges (boards, wetsuits etc)? Or is most of their money and their focus now on selling cheap chinese made junk (Tshirts, watches, keyrings, wallets and all that other crap they are happy to attach their brand name to) to the non-surfing mainstream consumer who actually doesn't know where "Somewhere" is?

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
philw wrote:i'm all for a lower budget, lower comfort, more morally and spiritually testing world tour.

watching pros being picked up - whining and bitching - from the comfort of their hotel room and being deposited out the back with barely a drop of water on them is not sport.

i want suffering.

ulu's WAS good 'cos some of them got bloodied. and some of them looked kinda bewildered out there. and that's without the normal crowd. that's good. they looked silly. all the better.

i want to see MASSIVE paddle outs in FREEZING waves after a THREE DAY guiness bender. i want failed duckdives and vomitting in the lineup. and i want to watch the whole thing live and in realtime from the first pint of guiness to the last evil shut down.

is it possible to surf your opponent to death?.
Nailed it Phil :!:

Why the f##k doesn't Rabbit recruit you onto the ASP organising committee NOW.

What you described would definitely keep me glued to a webcast till 3am each night :lol: :lol: :lol:

.....unlike the current sterilised shit.........
Survivor-Surf or Die-no scores given unless there is two people on a wave and contact is mandatory!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Cookie wrote:That whole "Somewhere" concept is just fu.cking brain dead if you ask me.
Yet apparently they haven't.
Cookie wrote:Makes you wonder how far from the core surfing values these behemoths have now gone?
I suspect we're all about to find out.

Surfers are gonna keep surfing happily away right through the recession or whatever...we might all scrimp a bit but we'll still buy a board and a wetsuit.

But for all the non-surfers ...well those $80 boardshorts and various accessories are looking v much like a discretionary purchase...perhaps the labels alone won't be worth what they have been.

Surf companies, surf shops, etc who've become increasingly exposed to trends among non-surfers are gonna feel the whip a lot harder than, say, a good surfboard maker.

Quik just got punched in the face worse than any surf company in history, thanks to a reckless lunge into that very exposure. $510m? And the rest! Do you think they bought Rossignol with their own cash? I bet Alan Green wants to skin the bloke in charge of that fantastic purchase. But like so many artful dodgers of the corporate world, he's since safely "left the company".

Even harsher, Quik's big (and unavoidable) spread into retail stores exposes them further to a downturn in retail sales in the USA, and the stock analysts aren't letting 'em forget it either.

You guys might think it's funny but there's a lot of your fellow surfers working in Quik and elsewhere who aren't gonna be laughing quite so hard in the coming months, when the company is forced to shed staff. Yeah that's right, you're laughing at job losses; actual real ones, not 10% cuts in team contracts.

Billabong and Rip Curl are positioned a bit differently, Bong has not suffered the same kicks to their share price in the past three months and it's mostly because the company is running a clean and fairly tight ship - and isn't carrying horrible debt loads thanks to the purchase of a s**thouse business. The Curl are in the (currently) fortunate position of being privately held still, and thus don't have to report to the public, nor rely on share issues to raise capital ... and they also run a tight ship, probably tighter than anyone.

How all this will affect the surf "culture" over the next two years is anyone's guess, you'd hope for the best (ie a resurgence of focus on cookie's "core values"? something unexpected and exciting?), but it won't be all terrific stuff ... not unless the waves get really good. 'Cause good waves always help.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Cookie wrote:That whole "Somewhere" concept is just fu.cking brain dead if you ask me.
Yet apparently they haven't.
They might not have asked Cookie directly but it's disengenous and downright naive to think the Curl aren't monitoring the internet to guage public sentiment.
I was very surprised after the hullabaloo around Rip Curl's "stealth" proposal to hold a Search contest at the newly minted Lennox Surfing reserve and a few passionate letters in the local papers to receive a phone call at home from Rip Curls marketing manager.
I believe he may have been an ex-editor of Tracks.
If the Curl didn't care about public sentiment amongst core surfers then surely he wouldn't have gone to the trouble to track down my private number and ask for a meeting.........would he have received my "cold" call?
In the age of the internet large corporations are now seeing a chink in the previously impervious armour which their marketing arms via advertorial formerly maintained with Stalinist control.
There won't be any job losses within 100 miles of here if any one of the major brands go down but I will continue to support my local manufacturers.
Steve

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:37 pm

People losing their jobs and having to worry about how they'll support their families isn't good. But in some ways the popping of a couple of bubbles may make things better for the battlers on real surf.

The beach house boom which pumps legions of kooks into coastal towns will come to a halt as second incomes disappear and two mortgages get a bit hard to handle.

A number of 2nd tier contests will be cancelled. So no more going down to your local spot and finding there is invitational Alaia festival monopolising the best peak.

Lastly the degree to which our sport is peddled to non-surfers will diminish and perhaps surfing will drop of the radar a bit.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 pm

People losing their jobs and having to worry about how they'll support their families isn't good. But in some ways the popping of a couple of bubbles may make things better for the battlers on real surf.

The beach house boom which pumps legions of kooks into coastal towns will come to a halt as second incomes disappear and two mortgages get a bit hard to handle.

A number of 2nd tier contests will be cancelled. So no more going down to your local spot and finding there is invitational Alaia festival monopolising the best peak.

Lastly the degree to which our sport is peddled to non-surfers will diminish and perhaps surfing will drop of the radar a bit.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:20 am

Although Quiksilver did have a handle on the R & D side of things...
it seems they were more interested in playing with their nuts.

Quiksilver ?........Hey Buffy those stupid f**ks at Quiksilver cant spell ether................................ or quicksilver.
Go get em tiger!

:lol:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Womble wrote:Image

Although Quiksilver did have a handle on the R & D side of things...
it seems they were more interested in playing with their nuts.

Quiksilver ?........Hey Buffy those stupid f**ks at Quiksilver cant spell ether................................ or quicksilver.
Go get em tiger!

:lol:
Noo onee nows hough 2 spel onn hear lett aloan thee abismal grammmmactical errours.

But I live and dream that one day everything will be "perfect" Mr Womble. Until then au revoir all.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 pm

I know I'm stealing Wands thunder but this cat is the real,two-faced deal-born in W.A

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... ouths.html

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:23 pm

lessormore wrote:Image
I know I'm stealing Wands thunder but this cat is the real,two-faced deal-born in W.A

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... ouths.html
You're like all a bunch of copy-cat serial killers.

Fcuking followers. Could you be moreorless unoriginal?

I doubt it.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:52 pm

Sorry to beak the bad news...but the two faced cat passed away.