Was Occy Over-rated? [blasphemy!]

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

AlbyAl
regular

Was Occy Over-rated? [blasphemy!]

Post by AlbyAl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Well the book's out - so the assessments can happen.

OK - I'll stick my head out to be chopped off. OCCY WAS OVER-RATED.

He was genetically gifted a short stocky frame, perfect for power surfing, and, yeah, he became a really top surfer, but he was unable to change very much, and ended his career stuck in the 'hack' mentality, while plenty of others developed and learnt far more than he did. Occy was lucky that the surfing public loved looking at that basic back-foot grunt as long as it did. Shocking but true.

Beerfan

occy

Post by Beerfan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 pm

I'd much rather see a big carving hack than a snap crackle pop anyday. But that's just me. Is it a good book or what??

combatwombat
Grommet

Post by combatwombat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Nah!

Occ's surfing is\was shear genius......plus his just the funniest cnut ever!!

Alby you've attacked Dean Morrison, Occ in the forums the last week or so who's next. Maybe your gunna tells us MR just wasn't that graceful. :roll:

I grant you his not punting 'cept at the races, but I think the big fella is the first to admit his shit at 'em. On one of the OP boat challenges i think it was BI giving him pointers, and flustered Oc just cant!!

interestred to knowhow the book is though, the first was a bit avreage.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:14 pm

what the fuck ??? you are joking, you would have to be...the bloke rips and always did...He surfs smoothly with power and absolutley belts the shit out of it backside and frontside and does it with style.....He carves in small and the big uff, have you ever seen the foiotage of him at Bells in the skins ??? you have to be on acid to think that he is not one of the best all time surfers...What about the g-land footage in filthy habits and Pump ??? ask Tom Curren if he is over-rated, ask Kelly , ask anybody who knows anything about surfing...who cares if he didnt learn all the new tricks, they suck anyway, and why does such a talented and awesome surfer have to learn to do tricks ??? I reckon he stuck with his approach of power surfing and wave destroying for 3 decades...you are insane...OCCY RIPS and you are over-rated, you should not ever have thought it, let alone started a thread about it...lets see some footage of you surfing please...You can have an opinion on Occ but your opinion is WRONG !!!!!

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:44 pm

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:01 pm

would occy have won his title if slater had been on tour that year :? :?:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Really like footage of him surfing Jefferies Bay and I used to have an old video of a comp in G Land where he scores a ten on a big peaking wedge. I still prefer to look at something like that than a few tail slides and airs in the usual contest mush. I'm glad he's not doing rodeo airs. More integrity in power surfing any day :P :P :P :P :P :P

combatwombat
Grommet

Post by combatwombat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:42 pm

I'm gonna say yes Fongles.
Kelly often bows out of touring when he's not surfing to usual standard. Personal issues used to get to kelly back then,that was a tumultuos period for him, i seem to recall? My wife reckons Kelly surfs better when his single, but she reads more trash mags than me!

I wonder if oc wwould have won if MR or Curren where in it? Kinda of irrelevant\irreverant to my mind!

I think Alby is fishing for response, you'd have to be a complete twit to think what his posted. I mean how many airs etc where being done in ct comps around the time oc won his title? You cant compare his surfing to current stars surfing, there's a time too much of a time gap. Its like saying TC was a kook cause he only did that snap at pipe and not a sushi roll etc??!!

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:19 am

salty wrote::idea: Bunyip Dreaming... fuggen awesome!!
Green Iguana - One of the best surf movies (especially with the accompanying music) ever made.

Alby - just check out the last ten minutes of it. Observe and learn.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:30 am

I spat my Coco Pops all over the keyboard when I read that statement Alby!

Blasphemy indeed....

You say he didn't change or 'learn'. I'm not doubting that surfers can progress but let's put the bootie on the other foot for a moment shall we? Kelly Slater, the most progressive surfer out there, can he do a hack like Occy? No. Why not? Taj can't either. Not that they wouldn't want too - of cause they would!

Genetics has probably got a bit to play with this (as you mentioned), although it's not the final determining factor.

It seems surfers can't truly straddle that power vs progression divide. I don't know why it is. Perhaps NC may have an answer? But take a look at the surfers who have never done an air in a comp (that I know of): Luke Egan, Lowey, Taylor Knox, Hoy. But no-one lays rail like those surfers.

Just quietly, I reckon Ace Buchan may find himself in that category too - not that he's a keg but just that he has that squared-off front-foot stance that says 'I'm not grabbing rail'.

But anyway Occ did have to learn. He had to learn discipline. He had to learn how to win. How to travel. How to say 'no'. And he had to learn how to surf fast. You seen the difference between mid-80's and mid-90's surfing? Not just the slides and airs but the straight-up down the line speed. Check him in the Billabong Challenges compared to his surfing in the last 8 years. Slow down!

I would venture that the reason surfers find Occy endearing is as much for his gaffs as his gaffes. He's got that 'loveable fuck-up' thing about him that surfers relate too. That interview with Tom Curren in the Occumentary is a freaky example.

PS: Skins comp at Bells. He puts his board anywhere he wants. Progressive power surfing.

PPS: You wanna see a one-hack wonder? Sunny Garcia. And Occ has a far better backside than Sunny.

PPS: Backhand! Occy has a far better backhand than Sunny.

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:27 am

Occ had and possibly still has the best backhand bottom turn top turn combo ever (particularly the bottom turn bit). Just awesome. But Alby, I kinda know what you mean. It was rather one dimensional. But the way he's just lock those stumpy little ham hocks in and ... well "carve" just doesn't do it justice... sublime ...

BTW, look at young Matty Wilko's backhand attack if you want the see the closest thing to Occ going round these days

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:31 am

Plus, so right about Sunny. Massive travesty if he's back on tour when the dust settles at the end of this year, but watch the judges (for the umpteenth time this year, and with the usual Hawaiian heavies staring their shoulders) wildly overscore him.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:24 pm

On the subject of Occy being overrated………………………..
I can’t answer that, it is far too subjective.
How good a surfer he is or was comes down to personal interpretations.
I will say this; he is very entertaining in and out of the water.
A true character and that is unusual in any sport today.
Hail Occy, you are a funny, talented and unique individual.
And a past world champion. Go you good thing.

Let me put it this way..................................................

Was Mark Occhilupo overrated a fair question to be asked?
In fact it’s fair to ask it of all champions in the passed.
Let’s have a look and see shall we, it won’t take up much time.
So here is the list let’s read it and you make up your mind.
We’ll start with Midget Farrelly, Felipe Pomar and Rolf Aurness
Fred Hemmings was in there somewhere and Nat Young you would have guessed.
But that was in the longboard days and well before Larry Blair.
Now should Larry’s name appear in here, is that really fair?
OK Larry Blair wasn’t a champion but he was pretty great.
What about that nine second tube ride back in 1978?
That’s another story and its best not to digress
Moving right along lets take a look at all the rest.
You’ve got Townsend, Tomson, Bartholomew and Richards; another worthy four.
You couldn’t deny their credentials when they busted down the door.
Now what about Tommy Carroll with two titles to his name.
Is he equal to Damian Hardman because he has the same?
Tom Curren is pure class; to watch him surf is a pleasure.
He is unique and definitely an international surfing treasure.
C J Hobgood is a winner along with Derek Ho.
Who could forget Barton Lynch or the Martin Potter Show?
We’re moving through this list faster than I thought we would.
So what about Sunny Garcia, that Hawaiians pretty good.
Andy Irons another Hawaiian has three, that’s kind of frightening.
Mick Fanning is another one, our very own white lightning.
That is it we’ve covered them all; which one of them is greater?
Hang on a minute I’ve left one out and I think his name is Slater.
:lol:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Very good segue Dinosaur
I must admit I have been waiting for something like that.
And you definitely wouldn’t build poetry a statue.
:oops:

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:24 pm

To come back from where he was with depression and weight problems to be world champion and you reckon he didn't learn anything :?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:32 pm

ehhhh, ahhhhhh

without saying too much

would he have gained the popularly he enjoys without the close

relationship he enjoyed with sarge, who at the time, was THE surf photohog of the time :idea: :? :?:

i mean i see plenty shit hot surfers.....but only a few get that "media" push :shock:

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:11 pm

Well I knew it would be balsphemy! Scandal! Shock-Horror!

See, I remember Occ coming onto the surf scene, and was awe-struck when he got on that first Rusty board (which I held in me very hands one day and stared at every detail) and started that smooth powerful top to bottom carving. And I thought surfing might never be bettered, UNTIL I was forced to admit over time, that the 'new school' of the '90s who could carve OK, but could also UNWEIGHT off the top - thus bringing in airs, wafts, reverses etc and had indeed moved surfing on past what the great Occ was capable of. Make no mistake - I watched The Green Iguana on the VHS machine until the tape broke!

But as the other 'Progression' thread is exploring - surfing does indeed move on, and the last few years of Occy were 'mixed'. Yes, footage at big J-bay - sublime - but on a bit of a smallish day at Snapper or Bells? He looked one dimensional just shoving his back foot off the top mechanically, compared with how varied and fluid the new pros could be working with less weight on the back and greater feel with the concaves. I think he looked like he was just relying on that short powerful stance to wack wack away.

Gee, I hope I didn't upset anyone - I'll just crawl back under the rock I came from and choose my words more carefully in the future. (Ya big girl's blouses! What's a surf thread without controversy!)

Hano
Local

Re: Was Occy Over-rated? [blasphemy!]

Post by Hano » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:46 pm

AlbyAl wrote:Well the book's out - so the assessments can happen.

OK - I'll stick my head out to be chopped off. OCCY WAS OVER-RATED.

He was genetically gifted a short stocky frame, perfect for power surfing, and, yeah, he became a really top surfer, but he was unable to change very much, and ended his career stuck in the 'hack' mentality, while plenty of others developed and learnt far more than he did. Occy was lucky that the surfing public loved looking at that basic back-foot grunt as long as it did. Shocking but true.
You bag Occy yet your realsurf profile says that u apparently ride a 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’5”, 6’6” and a 7 footer.

I started to doubt your authenticity and thought you may be a new age SUP in disguise; so I googled you Albyal, and the below pic was the first thing to hit the screen. Image

I was first introduced to Occy thru a surf flick at a packed Wollongong Town Hall over 23 years ago. I I remember the short segment of the film fairly clearly, Occy was basically introduced as the new ‘thing’ on the block. The gallery’s applause was somewhat subdue when he first appeared on the screen, then, the lad rips a gauge that throws a 'never seen before' amount of water into the air, the gallery erupted with the biggest applause of the night. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

Umpteen years on from that flick Occy returns from adversity to do it all again.

An Aussie knockabout and a very good surfer

Occy sorta personifies what I see traveling up and down the coast in search of waves every weekend.
Last edited by Hano on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.