Surfers Fighting

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bro
Local

Surfers Fighting

Post by bro » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 am

well actually one surfer and a guy on a SUP.

Last night about 6pm at 2 foot Freshie....both paddled for a wave both missed it, surfer pushed the SUP and the guy fell off, words were exchanged and then blows until a random surfer broke it up. It was pretty ugly

Here comes summer......... :roll:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:50 am

you weren't the guy on the sup were ya! :lol:

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 am

The only thing ugly about that would be their fighting styles other than that it’s really a beautiful thing to witness.

Pure aquatic poetry personified.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:47 am

At Moffat about a month ago, I was watching the sets come in. I turned to the carpark and noticed two SUP's getting ready to go out. I hadnt realises how big these things were until i saw it close up. One guy paddled out with a cap on and no leg rope attached as if he was never going to fall in. (Do they even have leg ropes?).

Anyway, these guys were clearly cocky about it, walking around the beach and paddling in like they owned it. They got out to the line up of around 7 guys. Bigger set comes along and old mate paddles for it and goes a f*cken cropper straight away. His boat of an SUP went charging through the line up and kept going until one guy was nice enough to go and grab it for him (probably to prevent it from causing more or a risk). This poor bloke grabbed the bottome of it, it hit a wave and went up on its end and then came crashing back down on his head.

Faird dinkum.....not cool at all.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:49 am

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am

^^^^Im amazed at some peoples complete lack of basic motor skills. If I fought like those first two, I wouldn't throw a punch - EVER. :lol:

Why would you start punching someone in the back of the head? This is a sure way to break your own knuckles. Some guy did this to me once and he came off second best. We were toe to toe and he was swinging wildy at my head, so i covered up and put my head down and simply waited for him to stop and then put my head up and punched him in the face. He hit the bitchumen and i dirty harry it. He had 6 mates and they were PISSED:lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 am

bumfluff wrote:At Moffat about a month ago, I was watching the sets come in.
Bumfluff, what were you doing at Moffat? It's mine, all mine :twisted:

Actually, for the last couple of months, you were welcome to it. Later this week, however...................... 8)

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 am

TrevG wrote:
Bumfluff, what were you doing at Moffat? It's mine, all mine :twisted:

Actually, for the last couple of months, you were welcome to it. Later this week, however...................... 8)
You can have it Trev. Last time i was there I had to resort to a grundy run in the carpark to get my stoke. The mrs was not impressed. :lol:

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 am

i haven't seen a single sup on the southern beaches yet.
doubt we'll see too many at tamarama or bronte.

any at cronulla?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 am

bumfluff wrote:^^^^Im amazed at some peoples complete lack of basic motor skills. If I fought like those first two, I wouldn't throw a punch - EVER.
Perhaps it's just as well. Otherwise they might actually hurt each other.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 am

bonusbeats wrote:i haven't seen a single sup on the southern beaches yet.
doubt we'll see too many at tamarama or bronte.

any at cronulla?
I saw three out at North Cronulla last weekend. They were as skilled as ...ah f**k, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 am

Let this be a warning to you all!
Freshie is heavy!!
When those 1.5 foot sets crack out the back behind cunji, its locals only or pay the price!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:33 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
bumfluff wrote:^^^^Im amazed at some peoples complete lack of basic motor skills. If I fought like those first two, I wouldn't throw a punch - EVER.
Perhaps it's just as well. Otherwise they might actually hurt each other.
Too true. It just amazes me how some people are so keen to come to blows and yet they clearly dont know what they are doing. Perhaps its this lack of respect for how dangerous fighting is, that causes them to want to do it so easily. The only thing you get out of a fight is a sore head - and thats if you win. It takes only one punch in the head and your getting in the Ekka for half price for the rest of your life. :shock:

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40 am

Bugger..must've missed that by minutes!

The SUP's are a father and son team from what I can gather, they've been out at dusk the last few weekends...actually one performed the best slow motion snake I've ever experienced - pretty funny stuff as I slowly wacthed him glide through on the inside :lol:

It was a wierd vibe out there...no waves and tonnes of hassling. One bloke especially who decided all waves were his. He personally dropped in on me once (the only decent looking one I got near) and snaked me a bout 5 times. I was rooted though, I spent three hours i the water earlier in the day teachin my wife to surf, whilst snavelling waves for my self or body bashing.

I'm surprised by this though, I felt they were pretty considerate in the volume of waves they were getting...and seeing the ones they did get they were on before any shortboarder could physically paddle for I'm surprised they were going for the same wave if you get my drift.

Also added to the fact that there are a few Brazilian kooks who "forget" to look inside, and are seemingly deaf as a post as well, littering the small line-up, and if they aren't rail to rail with you as you take off on the inside, they are floundering around in the only part of the wave that you could possibly generate any speed.

But yeah..the waves were pretty full until it hit the inside banks or the rip, so I'm surpried the surfer was actually near there take off zone.

Don't get me started about the little turds up on the headland throwing rocks at guys in the lineup...strange day indeed!

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Some days I just can't be bothered with surfing in Sydney when its struggling to get to 2 feet and the line up is clogged with people lacking in surf skill on all manner of "alternate" craft.

Oh well only 4 months until Autumn :roll:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:32 pm

SUP's should be banned now before it's too late ... if SUP riders start to breed, the gene that gives them to desire to stand around doing f'ck all looking amazingly ridiculous, and actually enjoying slow motion boredom may spread through regular society ... and the human race may then kill itself in self disgrace before we have had a chance to finish killing the planet .... :idea:

Be warned ... SUP's are not just dangerous, oversized lumps of sh!t that go careering through the line up putting unsuspecting surfers at risk of brain damage ... they are eating away at the fabric of our society ... :shock:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:36 pm

I amased at that guy in the last one. No matter much he copped it he still kept going back for more. Either those guys can't throw a punch or he can take one heck of a beating.

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 pm

Hatchman wrote:
I amased at that guy in the last one. No matter much he copped it he still kept going back for more. Either those guys can't throw a punch or he can take one heck of a beating.
that was at pipe bodyboard comp. the guy on the beach (cant remember name) but is a well known hawaiian surfer, it is in a few bodyboard vids.