Justifiable drop ins...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dropping in - sometimes ok?

never
14%
only on your mates
19%
on other watercraft
No votes
burn me... I burn you
57%
I'm a "local" so I somehow have permission
10%

Total votes: 21

bookster
barnacle

Justifiable drop ins...

Post by bookster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 am

I did something I rarely, if ever do at all yesterday - I deliberately burnt someone on a set wave that possibly was the best wave in the 2 hours I was out there.

The miscreant had earlier blatantly taken off on a wave I was in position for, paddling into and had called him off (nothing like a loud "OY!", just a casual "yeah, mate!" as I got to my feet). You know the type - sit wide of the peak and take off regardless of who is taking off on the inside.

I managed to ride the wave behind him to its end - he could see that I was right behind him, not caught in any whitewater or "went left" (classic dropin excuse). He turned around and paddled away rather quickly, avoiding eye contact. I was annoyed - it was a set wave after all, but I'm not the type to get angry or verbal. Most of the time I wouldn't even worry too much about it, but I guess the long wait for waves, coupled with the indifference by him to the breach of basic water etiquette committed saw me decide to return the favour.

After another bout of bobbing around waiting for the infrequent waves to arrive a line appeared out the back. It was actually bigger than anything I'd seen this morning, nudging the 2 foot mark. Hardly impressive, but as anyone who has ridden this particular bank knows, any bit of swell given the right tide zips down the line all the way to shore.

The guy who had dropped in on me earlier was in the sweet spot for this wave.... but I wanted to, no I had to catch this one. The fact that it was a good 'un only made me more determined to drop in on him. I paddled straight across his path so he was inside, spun around took off next to him!

The wave walled up and raced along the bank, with several nice spots to whack the lip before it closed out near the beach. I finished the wave, stoked with how good if was, and feeling vindicated. The guy I'd burnt said nothing and I'd expressed myself with no words exchanged. I did feel a little guilty at dropping in, but I think sometimes it might be worth breaking the unwritten rules of surfing a wee bit....

So to test others moral compasses - was I right in doing what I did? Or am I just as bad as the first guy, with dropping in unacceptable at any time?
Last edited by bookster on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:02 am

Its fine - you should have dropped in on him more than just once though!

lessormore
barnacle

Re: Justifiable drop ins...

Post by lessormore » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:07 am

bookster wrote: So to test others moral compasses - was I right in doing what I did? Or am I just as bad as the first guy, with dropping in unacceptable at any time?
I don't think these forums have the maturity to solve such an issue-I think it should go straight to The Jerry Springer Show!

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:09 am

Jerry,Jerry,Jerry

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 am

There are generally only two times that dropping in is acceptable.

1. Revenge against an obvious drop in who shows no remorse after the wave; not even a courteous, if insincere, 'sorry mate' on the paddle back out.
2. If it's your brother who reckons he can surf better than you, (ain't that right NC?).

And of course it's okay to drop in on a SUP who catches any and every lump coming through. They deserve it the most.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:37 am

stinky_wes wrote:There are generally only two times that dropping in is acceptable.

1. Revenge against an obvious drop in who shows no remorse after the wave; not even a courteous, if insincere, 'sorry mate' on the paddle back out.

And of course it's okay to drop in on a SUP who catches any and every lump coming through. They deserve it the most.
Agreed.

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:43 am

what about the blatant drop in on the guy/girl who paddles for the best wave every set but rarely takes off. after a while you just gotta take off even though it looks for all the world like they want and are going to take the wave. the real dilemma I suppose is whether you burn them as well if they do happen to make the bottom turn.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 am

you just know that some people are just going to stuff the takeoff or go straight :? I tend to sit near them and just get out of their way. Although there is always your mate to snake or drop in on for a laugh when the surf is crap.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 am

Drop in fine by me in those circumstances bookster.

Also, dropping in on friends is not only fine, but damn near compulsory.

Dropping in on surfers who have proven that they don't have the ability to make that wave, that's ok too.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am

I chose the eye for an eye option. However since im such a nice guy I'll give the offender a second chance (unless it was blatant), if they do it again then I'm burning that muthafuka

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:42 am

This is a conundrum Bookster.
Like you, if there's one thing that completely wrecks surfing for me it's the hassling for waves. It seems so completely at odds with the core of surfing- a rhythmic, calming and cleansing pursuit...having said that, I become Fiesty Mc Angry in crowds, especially when the "rules" go out the window re; pecking order on good days. Normally I never drop in - fullstop. But some places just breed it - Superbank, Nth Coast points, etc.
It's like a disease when your legitimate "oi" is returned with a "f*** you" or no response at all.
People should be given a go, no matter how much of a novice and let's face it, our role models/pro's are some of the worst offenders. There really is no excuse for say, the Cooly kids, to drop in at Snapper - it's pure greed and arrogance. Sure, they've earnt the sets on the good days and they carve but in no way does that excuse the relentless burning of your average "Johnny Punch-clock" who may only need one or two decent waves to get his fill.
I guess it's why most of us would take uncrowded mediocrity in place of "dog eat dog" good waves. What's the point when you come in from a surf flarin' like a pack of haemarhoids (sic). I came back from a QLd holiday about a year ago, more stressed than when I go there.
But I digress, as Conrad once said "exterminate the brutes".

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 am

I dropped in on an englishman and an american that I had just been having a chat to on a 5 foot plus day at manly about 2 months ago. The wave of the day came through and these were heavy and vertical and I just plain burnt the two of them and got my wave of the season... a 6 foot ramp of speedy perfection with about 8 big top turns and an aerial closeout... I still feel guilty (a little).

I wouldn't normally do it but I live there and felt some bizarre right to it - still couldn't get eye contact with them afterwards - I slunk away to another bank.

There is a chance they were both too deep and I don;t know which of them took off cause I didn't look back.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 am

Dropping in just means you weren't in the spot to start with.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Dropping in just means you weren't in the spot to start with.
Tell that to your brother pal.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:07 pm

monkey wrote:It's like a disease when your legitimate "oi" is returned with a "f*** you" or no response at all.
I think there's a bylaw that says you're allowed to drive your board into the back of their ankles if they do that

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Tit for Tat I say. Where I live - back of Palm Beach QLD, there's a number of points and the Superwank in closish proximity. You can have either a great surf or totally one of the most frustrating with crowds and both locals and non who think they "deserve" your wave more than you.
10 wave surfs aren't the norm so you try and protect the ones you do get. Ankles tapping is not uncommon thats for sure :roll:
I tend to find myself just looking south for more alternatives where you get out of the water happy that you've had a surf :oops:

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Ahhh, yeah? It wouldn't be dropping in otherwise Nick![/quote]

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 pm

monkey wrote:I came back from a QLd holiday about a year ago, more stressed than when I go there.
But I digress, as Conrad once said "exterminate the brutes".
Hey Monkey, I hear exactly what you're saying but it's not all bad in QLD. I am glad to be no longer living in the same postcode as Jorgo (not knocking you Jorgo, 23rd - 25th are gems) but it does mellow out once you head north of the Goldy. Holiday time is gonna be hectic anywhere and you have to expect that... :roll:

I think kinda like you Bookster. I don't like to hassle and drop in but sometimes it's the only way to get 'the message' across. People with a blatant lack of respect should not be allowed to ruin anyone else's session. :twisted: