Surfboard Testing Day - who's keen?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Is a board testing day a good idea??

Yes
86%
No
14%
I would need to be convinced
No votes

Total votes: 7

sir_fur71
regular

Surfboard Testing Day - who's keen?

Post by sir_fur71 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm

I do the product reviews for RealSurf and other publications and have been thinking about doing a Surfboard testing day for RealSurf readers.

The idea is still in the 'brain storming' phase so any constructive input is welcome.

Basically I was thinking that I approach a bunch of shapers / importers and get them to come down to a beach (most likely Nth Beaches Syd) on a Saturday morning. RealSurfers are then encouraged to come down and try a few boards, talk to shapers and just see what's cooking in the board ideas department. End it all off with a bit of an informal BBQ. Might even try to convince a few shapers to do deals for those who attend and could even convince them to part with a free board as a lucky prize?

Might even get a few surf accessories crew down there too???

I already have a handful of board makers keen and I am sure more will come on board as the idea comes to light.

At this point in time I guess I am interested in finding out if this is of interest and any feedback......

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Yep I'll be in it.

Waffler

Post by Waffler » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Sounds good to me.
I'm in the market for a new one

scomber

medicine man in the bitou bush

Post by scomber » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:59 pm

What a great idea!
Its a wonder the shapers or even the companies that pop them out by the thousands haven't staked the dunes out at Longy years ago, offering any kook a free ride hoping it may lead to a sale. :) If there was a regular medicine man set up amongst the bitou bush it would be a bit like car pooling. I could leave the board at home and pick from a public quiver to suit all conditions. Hey, I'd even pay him something for the privilege! I can just imagine snapping one and handing him back the leash and some flotsam. :twisted: As this economic depression approaches I can picture the board hawkers selling time on a fish during the Noreaster like they sold rabbits during the 30's. Arhh sorry, thats another hot topic thread on this forum lately.
Seriously though,
PM me and I might be able to organise a sponsor (popular energy drink) to pay for the snags etc.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:33 pm

Sounds good, I'd be in for sure.
It'd be a great chance to get aride on some of the local shapers boards without coughing up the dough up front!

ppaattoo

Post by ppaattoo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:27 pm

yep i'll be there for sure...
in the market for a summer board so will be a good opportunity to try some out

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 pm

what happens to the dinged / snapped and even stolen surfboards.

sir_fur71
regular

Post by sir_fur71 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Good point. We will have to come up with some kind of deposit and registration system. Easy enough.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Easy solution, you have to give your license as a deposit.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:43 pm

TMC wrote:Easy solution, you have to give your license as a deposit.
Ease

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:40 pm

They do this for snowboards and skis.
-The same system should work for surfboards.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:08 pm

I have been considering doing something very similar myself with a mixed bag of shapes....count me in, just let me know when and where...I do have the AquaBat on the Northern Beaches for people to test if anyone is interested ????

at the Fish-fry, shapers took either a liscence or cred card to hold til they got the board back...

sir_fur71
regular

Post by sir_fur71 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 am

OK, things are looking good for this Board testing day. It could end up being quite a big event, fine by me.

For anyone that wants to be involved from a boards / surf products point of view, you can PM me through these forums or my email is my forum ID name @yahoo.com.au

Anyone got any suggestions for a date? Maybe towards the end of Nov before Xmas really sets in??

All ideas welcome...........

Brand_77
Grommet

Post by Brand_77 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:43 am

Brilliant idea. I never seem to be able to make the Fish fry and it would be great to speak directly to shapers regarding their ideas and what you would like from a board.

Pridmore: I am constantly test driving new boards from any shaper/board store willing to let me have a go. I would love to try out the AquaBat, that's if we ever get any consistent swell. :cry:

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am

Great idea !
Any chance of getting Roy Stewart over , .... to test drive the "tunnel fin " and that big paulownia stick .

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:40 am

I would be keen to meet Billy Tollhurst since he was responsible for one of the best boards I have owned.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 pm

still here wrote:Great idea !
Any chance of getting Roy Stewart over , .... to test drive the "tunnel fin " and that big paulownia stick .

too late for bonfire night

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Brand_77 wrote:Brilliant idea. I never seem to be able to make the Fish fry and it would be great to speak directly to shapers regarding their ideas and what you would like from a board.

Pridmore: I am constantly test driving new boards from any shaper/board store willing to let me have a go. I would love to try out the AquaBat, that's if we ever get any consistent swell. :cry:

just send me your details via PM and we will try to make it happen, dont worry about the consistent swell, its designed to perform in the small stuff too.plus I want feedback from lots of different surfers in all sorts of conditions...check out the thread called ' the fat-bat coming to a beach near you' , its in General Surf Discussion....