Sharemarket and Global Meltdown. How has it effected you?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:Bloody cnuting market. :evil:
What, 30c in the dollar from Opes doesn’t cut it, BadBuff?

“Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.”

This might make you laugh, though.

I rear-ended a car this morning.

So, there we were alongside the road and slowly the other driver got out of his car.

You know how sometimes you just get so stressed and little things just seem funny?

Yeah, well I couldn't believe it.... he was a DWARF!!!

He stormed over to my car, looked up at me, and shouted, 'I AM NOT HAPPY!!!'

So, I looked down at him and said, 'Well, then which one are you?'

:lol: Yeah that made me laugh ric......enjoy your weekend pal.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:22 pm

puurri wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:
dinosaur wrote:
Spoon wrote:I am more than happy to drink poor mans swill. $32 a carton of stubbies is fine by me.
yes well it is cheaper than roundup. I think i'd rather drink that though.
Fcuk it shits me .... I may have to go down from Plzeňský Prazdroj to Peronis. Bloody cnuting market. :evil:
I see ASIC is sniffing around ANZ, mucho grief in the market if the class action gets up.
Too true puurri too true. 8)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 pm

Lucky Al wrote:I still remember very clearly the day when some Commonwealth Bank people came into our classroom and said we should all start up bank accounts. Because that's what people did. I was in Third Class or Fourth Class (okay, the memory isn't that clear) at Austinmer Public School, and everyone in my class started one up. I think my opening balance was 40c. Probably everyone's was. Maybe the kids who lived up on Hill Street and Foothills Road started off with $2.00 or something. The Commonwealth Bank people told us our accounts would grow, just like that. When I took my bank book home and showed Dad, he got mad: 'Crooks! Conmen! ****!' That sort of thing. I got the message and grew up thinking making money doing nothing is a scam and a steal - stealing from someone. I don't know what I think now. No, yes I do - I still think that way. Haha, no I don't I don't know! Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
i long ago gave up the idea a honest living pretty much when i started writting :P

now it's just like....do i want my family eat dirt or can i take advantage the system give em something more :idea:
plus i gotta work....it's just something i enjoy...and so the moneys like a bonus :?
( plus...like...u know....everyones got get a new board every now again...no matter what :wink: )

it's a game

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=647937

but in all honestly...if chinna and new asian market stop paying there bills

where in for shit

@ least i can fish....how U GONNA FEED YOUR KIDS :shock:

P.S GOOD MOVE THE GOVERMENTS ONLY BLOWIN OFF HALF THE SURPLUS TRY KICK US ON

me thinkus...they know more than u and i...and not letting on

the other half their saving prop up soup kitchens :shock:
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Look at where your super is stored folks. If you have a conservative investment (or not) make sure your money is not in such juicy items as "enhanced cash" This does not mean 90 day bank bills....

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:06 pm

what....thats it :?

the entire caplist system melts down and it's only worthy a 6 page thread :lol:

Faniel
regular

Post by Faniel » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:13 am

actually thats a good point 'shnorky', i know that the horse has bolted but .....
my super fund has about 6 different catagories of investment risk,
mine is in 'diversified' i think, thats about 2nd from the top.
i get a couple of goes a year to swap catagories,
was actually already wondering which is the best one to have it in now???
cash is king, but obviously not too "enhanced" ???

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:29 am

Ah back to the days of 50% unemployment on the north coast. Buy a tent and head north. Its the only way. Whoops theyve allready sold it all. Youll have to move on.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:08 am

What global meltdown ?
Just spent 3 days up the coast surfing Boomerang beach. Small but fun little waves. Not a care in the world ( actually I lie…I couldn’t make up my mind of what to have for breakfast that morning but then I thought >>>. I have my health and a beautiful family and that’s the most important thing.)

The world is too full of money hungry pigs all chasing the dollar and forgetting how to live at the same time.

.....and while you're (notice spelling) at it you can stick your 168 inch LCD TV hanging off your bank owned wall fair square up your kyber.

The problem nowadays is that everyone wants to get everything without working for it. Everyone wants to live like a movie star.
Please excuse me while I vomit on your lap.

BYW The good ol' US of A has spent over 3 trillion dollars so far on the war In Afganistan and Iraq.(bit of trivia for the day)

P.S
Does anyone know what pro surfing promo they where shooting up at South Boomerang on Thursday ?.
Water photogs and camera crew everywhere.

P.SS
Scuze the incoherent random thoughts. I thought I might get a sesh in before they introduce grammar into the school curriculum ...affecting (at an emotional level) all us dyslexic freaks.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:07 am

kreepykrawly wrote:P.S
Does anyone know what pro surfing promo they where shooting up at South Boomerang on Thursday ?.
Water photogs and camera crew everywhere..
:idea: ... they heard you were there ... :idea: :?: :wink:

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:51 pm

I remember last year, maybe late the year before, that a Fund Manager who was trying to get more inflows into their fund had a presentation called "cash is risky". Thatw as when the cash rate was a round 5% or so and the market was routinely gaining 16%+ on passive managed funds. I wonder how many investors a ruing the day they came across that one and bought it hook line and sinker.
The issue though about the current cliemate is that the turnaround on even the top 50 asx stocks hass been so significant that it has really hit hard on even your most conservative of all risk profiles, and frankly diversification hasn't had a chance to help (when everything is plummeting)!
My prediction anyways, for what it is worth, is that we will be seeing a 3% decrease on the interest rates between now and Easter. If you are mulling over putting funds into a terrm deposit, you are not going to get a better rate than now.

Lou
Grommet

Post by Lou » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:36 am

kreepykrawly wrote:
The world is too full of money hungry pigs all chasing the dollar and forgetting how to live at the same time.
Well check out this dude below; Andrew Lahde, a 37 y.o. Californian hedge-fund manager who just quit after posting an 870% gain last year.

:arrow: a deadset fcukin' legend in my books 8) 8) :

+++++
Say what you will about Andrew Lahde, but the man knows how to write a letter.

Last month, the famed-for-betting-against-subprime hedge fund manager shuttered his operations, citing unacceptable levels of counterparty risk.

His goodbye missive is impressive not just for its length, but for its clearly-articulated (and somewhat apocalyptic) closing arguments.

Verbatim:

“Today I write not to gloat. Given the pain that nearly everyone is experiencing, that would be entirely inappropriate. Nor am I writing to make further predictions, as most of my forecasts in previous letters have unfolded or are in the process of unfolding. Instead, I am writing to say goodbye.

Recently, on the front page of Section C of the Wall Street Journal, a hedge fund manager who was also closing up shop (a $300 million fund), was quoted as saying, “What I have learned about the hedge fund business is that I hate it.” I could not agree more with that statement. I was in this game for the money. The low hanging fruit, i.e. idiots whose parents paid for prep school, Yale, and then the Harvard MBA, was there for the taking. These people who were (often) truly not worthy of the education they received (or supposedly received) rose to the top of companies such as AIG, Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers and all levels of our government. All of this behavior supporting the Aristocracy, only ended up making it easier for me to find people stupid enough to take the other side of my trades. God bless America.

There are far too many people for me to sincerely thank for my success. However, I do not want to sound like a Hollywood actor accepting an award. The money was reward enough. Furthermore, the endless list those deserving thanks know who they are.

I will no longer manage money for other people or institutions. I have enough of my own wealth to manage. Some people, who think they have arrived at a reasonable estimate of my net worth, might be surprised that I would call it quits with such a small war chest. That is fine; I am content with my rewards. Moreover, I will let others try to amass nine, ten or eleven figure net worths. Meanwhile, their lives suck. Appointments back to back, booked solid for the next three months, they look forward to their two week vacation in January during which they will likely be glued to their Blackberries or other such devices. What is the point? They will all be forgotten in fifty years anyway. Steve Balmer, Steven Cohen, and Larry Ellison will all be forgotten. I do not understand the legacy thing. Nearly everyone will be forgotten. Give up on leaving your mark. Throw the Blackberry away and enjoy life.

So this is it. With all due respect, I am dropping out. Please do not expect any type of reply to emails or voicemails within normal time frames or at all. Andy Springer and his company will be handling the dissolution of the fund. And don’t worry about my employees, they were always employed by Mr. Springer’s company and only one (who has been well-rewarded) will lose his job.

I have no interest in any deals in which anyone would like me to participate. I truly do not have a strong opinion about any market right now, other than to say that things will continue to get worse for some time, probably years. I am content sitting on the sidelines and waiting. After all, sitting and waiting is how we made money from the subprime debacle. I now have time to repair my health, which was destroyed by the stress I layered onto myself over the past two years, as well as my entire life — where I had to compete for spaces in universities and graduate schools, jobs and assets under management — with those who had all the advantages (rich parents) that I did not. May meritocracy be part of a new form of government, which needs to be established.

On the issue of the U.S. Government, I would like to make a modest proposal. First, I point out the obvious flaws, whereby legislation was repeatedly brought forth to Congress over the past eight years, which would have reigned in the predatory lending practices of now mostly defunct institutions. These institutions regularly filled the coffers of both parties in return for voting down all of this legislation designed to protect the common citizen. This is an outrage, yet no one seems to know or care about it. Since Thomas Jefferson and Adam Smith passed, I would argue that there has been a dearth of worthy philosophers in this country, at least ones focused on improving government. Capitalism worked for two hundred years, but times change, and systems become corrupt. George Soros, a man of staggering wealth, has stated that he would like to be remembered as a philosopher. My suggestion is that this great man start and sponsor a forum for great minds to come together to create a new system of government that truly represents the common man’s interest, while at the same time creating rewards great enough to attract the best and brightest minds to serve in government roles without having to rely on corruption to further their interests or lifestyles. This forum could be similar to the one used to create the operating system, Linux, which competes with Microsoft’s near monopoly. I believe there is an answer, but for now the system is clearly broken.

Lastly, while I still have an audience, I would like to bring attention to an alternative food and energy source. You won’t see it included in BP’s, “Feel good. We are working on sustainable solutions,” television commercials, nor is it mentioned in ADM’s similar commercials. But hemp has been used for at least 5,000 years for cloth and food, as well as just about everything that is produced from petroleum products. Hemp is not marijuana and vice versa. Hemp is the male plant and it grows like a weed, hence the slang term. The original American flag was made of hemp fiber and our Constitution was printed on paper made of hemp. It was used as recently as World War II by the U.S. Government, and then promptly made illegal after the war was won. At a time when rhetoric is flying about becoming more self-sufficient in terms of energy, why is it illegal to grow this plant in this country? Ah, the female. The evil female plant — marijuana. It gets you high, it makes you laugh, it does not produce a hangover. Unlike alcohol, it does not result in bar fights or wife beating. So, why is this innocuous plant illegal? Is it a gateway drug? No, that would be alcohol, which is so heavily advertised in this country. My only conclusion as to why it is illegal, is that Corporate America, which owns Congress, would rather sell you Paxil, Zoloft, Xanax and other additive drugs, than allow you to grow a plant in your home without some of the profits going into their coffers. This policy is ludicrous. It has surely contributed to our dependency on foreign energy sources. Our policies have other countries literally laughing at our stupidity, most notably Canada, as well as several European nations (both Eastern and Western). You would not know this by paying attention to U.S. media sources though, as they tend not to elaborate on who is laughing at the United States this week. Please people, let’s stop the rhetoric and start thinking about how we can truly become self-sufficient.

With that I say good-bye and good luck.

All the best,

Andrew Lahde”

++++

(http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2008/10 ... -in-style/)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:59 am

Lou wrote:[

:arrow: a deadset fcukin' legend in my books 8) 8) :

+++++
Say what you will about Andrew Lahde, but the man knows how to write a /)
well..i'll say i don't thinks he surfs :idea:

and goodluck too him :roll:

lifes not about wat u got....more so wat u need

honestly salty

i can know his need and despreation for it

and see that in the end :arrow: it's all trully wor4th nothin

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:15 am

From an early age you are socially conditioned to think that you should trade off the best part of your life (your youth) to chase the dollar. “Fear mongering” is used as a tool to trap you into believing that if you don’t spend most of your life in traffic jams and small little enclosed spaces chasing the dollar you will be left destitute when you finally retire.

Advertising agencies, large corporations and marketing companies also continually spew out false illusions about the need to own material possessions to be accepted by society. After all what will the neighbors say if I don’t have a 250 inch plasma tv.
Will they judge me?

The reality is that when you reach the median retirement age most people are too f-cked up from working their whole life to be able to do much anyway.

The reality is that most of these resorts that you see advertised on TV are inhabited by little old people waiting for a bus to pick them up for a tour of the city and not young good looking people as you so often see(on TV)

There is a fine balance between what you really need to do to survive and be happy vs how much of your life you need to sacrifice to attain that security. Unfortunately for most of humanity in the developed countries they engage in the long haul of collecting material possessions while people in 3rd world countries struggle just to survive, There is no balance and that’s why we are all so f-cked up now.

I put it to you that a wealthy man that has worked his whole life and amassed billions of dollars would give it all away to be young and broke again even if it meant never earning any real money the second time around.

Your youth is worth billions of dollars.
What are you working for now?

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:27 am

kreepykrawly wrote:From an early age you are socially conditioned to think that you should trade off the best part of your life (your youth) to chase the dollar. “Fear mongering” is used as a tool to trap you into believing that if you don’t spend most of your life in traffic jams and small little enclosed spaces chasing the dollar you will be left destitute when you finally retire.

Advertising agencies, large corporations and marketing companies also continually spew out false illusions about the need to own material possessions to be accepted by society. After all what will the neighbors say if I don’t have a 250 inch plasma tv.
Will they judge me?

The reality is that when you reach the median retirement age most people are too f-cked up from working their whole life to be able to do much anyway.

The reality is that most of these resorts that you see advertised on TV are inhabited by little old people waiting for a bus to pick them up for a tour of the city and not young good looking people as you so often see(on TV)

There is a fine balance between what you really need to do to survive and be happy vs how much of your life you need to sacrifice to attain that security. Unfortunately for most of humanity in the developed countries they engage in the long haul of collecting material possessions while people in 3rd world countries struggle just to survive, There is no balance and that’s why we are all so f-cked up now.

I put it to you that a wealthy man that has worked his whole life and amassed billions of dollars would give it all away to be young and broke again even if it meant never earning any real money the second time around.

Your youth is worth billions of dollars.
What are you working for now?
Very true.

I worked for Wankers Trust , Macquarie Wank etc etc and left to go on my own mid 90's .... but the fondest memories have been travelling (surfing) and actually getting out there and meeting different people of different cultures. If I had stayed on at any of the instos I worked for I'd have far more cash but I dont give a rats.........

Kreepy's right ..... your youth is worth $$$$Billions. But so is being happy working which is pretty rare these days.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:25 am

kreepykrawly wrote: Does anyone know what pro surfing promo they where shooting up at South Boomerang on Thursday ?.
Rip Curl team trip.

Fun banks hey.

Be interesting to see how this works through the surf culture. Will surfing boom again thanks to more and more people wanting to bloody forget about their supposed "careers" etc?

Usually recessions lead to a (temporary) diminishment of the power of big surf companies over the surf culture, and a growth in the importance of core surfing products (ie boards and wetsuits etc) and what you might call "core values" -- less travel, more localism, less globalism, a drop-off in fringe or softer-core type surfing activities, and eventually, down the track, the rise of the Unexpected -- whether it be a new style of surfing, a new group of super hot surfers from an unlikely source, etc.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
kreepykrawly wrote: Does anyone know what pro surfing promo they where shooting up at South Boomerang on Thursday ?.
Rip Curl team trip.

Fun banks hey.

You where there also ?!! :shock:

Did'nt see no gold 4WD in the car park.

Woulda given it a spit n polish. :lol:

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:03 pm

You think your job is shit.

drifter

Post by drifter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:56 am

It will be interesting how the market pans out this week. Will BHP and RIO have a bounce?? keep an eye out for SRL and CMR