Ever had your boards stolen?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

chrisb
Owl status

Ever had your boards stolen?

Post by chrisb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Marcus' thread about board locks got me thinking.
Who out there has had a board stolen? If so, what were the circumstances? Maybe we can learn from others' mistakes.

Me, I've never had a board stolen but my son came close: At Freshie Beach late Saturday arvo a few years ago, he came in after a surf, then left his board on the beach to go for a body surf.

When he returned the board was gone. He got me and after 20 minutes of searching we caught the thieves: 2 primary school age kids.

Rather than beating them up I told them off at the top of my voice. Their feeble excuse was they thought that someone had abandoned the board!
Without argument they returned the board and vanished, tail between legs.

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:36 am

Had a board stolen from a mates car down in Gisborne, NZ. We were surfing the Island which is a good 15 min walk/paddle from the carpark. Had a fun surf then the mood changed when we got back. Side window of the Mini had been smashed. My second board was gone as well as our wallets, clothes and shoes. Safe to say we were f^cken spewing. In hyndsight we should have dropped some gear off where we were staying before hitting it. Especially with the Sponge Bay carpark being fairly isolated. The lesson I learn't was to try and leave board/s in the car as little as possible. :idea:

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:16 am

Lost a board and mountain bike from my garage at Cronulla; had car stolen at D'bah, driven down the road and ransacked (no boards lost but other gear stolen). Vowed then to never hide keys on the car again...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:05 pm

I am always amazed at the number of guys I see heading out for the early who just stick the key up on a tyre or somewhere equally obvious, especially if someone is watching.
I have a blank key cut which goes around my neck but only opens the door. Means the real thing is somewhere inside the cabin but I try to make the car look as empty as possible and put the key in a range of different, out of the way spots. Preferably when no one is close by. And it's generally still pretty dark.
I know the window can be broken but I hope they'll go for the cars with the key under the guard first.
Sort of like being pleased to see a few lidders around on the assumption, the shark will go for the easy meal first.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:02 am

Mate had one stolen from Greenmount when he walked around to look at the point. 2 days old. He was shattered.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

Parked the car right outside the avalon movies on saturday night, right under the lights, blokes everywhere - a couple of coppers wandering around as well - six boards on the roof, mine was new, mint

and at half time they were all gone, coppers said they thought the guys in the van loading them up were mates of ours -

that was in 1963, and a year later one of the girls I met at byron said she met a bloke from sydney she liked who had a board just like mine - paint job and everything

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Larry wrote:Parked the car right outside the avalon movies on saturday night, right under the lights, blokes everywhere - a couple of coppers wandering around as well - six boards on the roof, mine was new, mint

and at half time they were all gone, coppers said they thought the guys in the van loading them up were mates of ours -

that was in 1963, and a year later one of the girls I met at byron said she met a bloke from sydney she liked who had a board just like mine - paint job and everything
OK Larry, I'll bite:-
"So I then asked her who the bloke was and ........"

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 pm

someone nicked my midget farrely from north bondi sometime in the 70s. i never had a chance to thank them.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Back in 1971 - had a board (the 2nd one I ever made and only ridden once) stolen off the roof of the car out at the Bower when I was checking it before going in. In those days the car park was a lot more secluded (not two tiers like today) and no one surfed Deadies so you had to hike up the slippery clay track to check it out properly. Still pissed when I think that I didn't get to properly test my handy (or not so handY) work :( :roll:

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:17 pm

I've got a Farrely in the garage - if you can find the bloke who knicked yours beats give me a pm, I'll tell him where mine is

what a dog that thing was

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:00 pm

I haven't had any problems with the key pockets in my leggies...
I haven't had a board stolen...

But I have had my board fly off the roof on a freeway bc of old, bungy cords :evil:

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:53 pm

got a phone call from garrett once,said the broadie coppers are looking for me...i freaked thinking what have i done? garrett reckons they have my channell bottom ,i say no its locked up in my basement storage! well he was right,so i go to the bighouse to find my board covered in black fingerprint ink,smeared fom tip to tail,i didnt notice to later they pinched my boys slater skateboard for there gettaway..pricks....also after trying heaps of pipedreams .scored one of bruce lees rejects,a magic one that no matter how hard you try,you cant fall off them,pinched from my car at d/bah after three surfs,also two magic webberes nicked from a place on currumbin beach..knew the thief as well ,vanished back to w.a. never to return..ya scumbag ..........to be honest its repay for burying westies kitbags in the sand at nth steyne when a grom in the late 60's huge laugh watching westies searching the beach in there wet undies...always wondered how they got home?

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:31 pm

i cannot wait to be old and angry like you fossils :shock: :o 8)

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 pm

At Pavones in Costa Rica plus camera and around $US 500.... (or the equivalent of 50 grams of coke back then)

CNUTS. :twisted:

Luckily it was on my last day .... surf was pretty good .... not heavy but fcuking long rides. I was scumming it and living in a scorpion infested hut in the jungle I spose. :roll:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Had a couple stolen, one was one of mine, nothing on it at all to say whose it was and it was special in that special board kind'a way :arrow: and was at uni, had no other boards and was broke :arrow: which is what I'd done to whoever stole it, if I found em

Also had a webster stolen ( I think :?: )

Both out'a the back of my car :arrow: from then on I stuck round headed bolts in my boards and locked them in with a bolt plate ( rock climbing, the bolt has to be right size for the plate), a padlock and a chain around the petrol line and some wiring ( in the hope that someone who tried steal another one of my boards would ... )

p.s needless to say, I farking hate thiefing cnuts
p.p.s for me stealing boards is special, you could be stealing the only enjoyment that a person has in their miserable lives and the only thing that keeps them sane ( the arabs have it right chop their hands off)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 pm

At High School a couple of my mates used to leave their boards under an old lady's house at Kirra (just beside the pub) and about midway through our last year in high school they went missing at about the same time as a deadbeat dude who had been hanging around the beach scene for a few months. Never saw them again but in November as we were sitting one of our Leaving Certificate exams the police turned up and pulled the two guys out of the exam room (dead set), long enough to tell them the scumbag had been seen back in Tweed Heads and when challenged by the cops, admitted it and handed over enough cash to compensate them both. By doing so apparently he avoided prosecution.
I've often wondered where he got the money (probably from some boards he stole in Vicco where he had been for the last few months)

Monty
Grommet

Post by Monty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:49 am

^^ Never had much of a problem with boards in Spain but Portugal you were pretty much guaranteed to lose something.

Remember camping at Peniche in 84, then you locked all your gear in a store room overnight to save it from being flogged by the locals. We woke up one morning after the place had been broken into and between us had lost about 5 boards and a few wetties. Wasn't too bad as we still had a couple of boards to go around. Better than a NZ guy I spoke to who had got his only board pinched from the back of a station wagon while he was pulling his wettie on at the front of the car. They were pretty expert thieves those guys.

Reckon I must have sponsored a few Portuguese surfers early in their careers with the amount of gear I lost there.

Still, managed to put in a few massive insurance claims over the years to compensate so it wasn't all bad news. In fact looking back I think that may have financed a few of the trips.