Melbourne surf

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Stokie
Grommet

Melbourne surf

Post by Stokie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Got a pretty good job opportunity coming up in the melbourne cbd, currently live in quiet old adelaide. im considering going for the move, but factors such as friends and family are holding me back.

anyway does anyone here live in melbourne and surf?

im used to racking up the ks surfing only on weekends in south oz (45mins to the mid coast, 1.5 hours to the south coast (both pretty average quality) and at least 3 hrs out west). Whats the drives like to get from melbourne to places like mornington or torquay or 13th etc (or whatever else is worth driving to)?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:21 pm

iggy wrote:there's no surf in melbourne itself...

unless you want to hit up williamstown beach, st kilda and altona in a massive southerly swell in the middle of winter with 100 mph shoulder high freezing cold mush burgers...

you're still gonna have to drive 1.5 hours plus normally to get to the surf...

depending on where you're positioned in melbourne i'd recommend the east coast (mornington penninsula stretch, phillip island, killcunda etc) over the west coast on most occassions...

almost always seems to catch alot more swell...
See the Moto GP last weekend? (plenty of breaks on show)

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:28 pm

^^^

Mornington Peninsula is a lot more consistent than the "surf coast" swell wise. Unless you're planning on heading west of Cape Otway (and if so add another 1 hours drive!) so I'd be looking at staying somewhere to the south-east of the Melb CBD.

West of Cape Otway has some epic surf but you won't find details about it on Swellnet or Coastalwatch, never surfed it myself but been down that way enough to know great surf when I see it.

Summer swells are smaller as well which means that the Gunnamatta to Portsea stretch is generally the best place to be if you're working in Melbourne.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Melbourne surf = oxymoron?

No doubt Ringmaster's feathers will be ruffled.

SDA
Grommet

Post by SDA » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:48 pm

CBD to 13th or Torquay - About 1 hour 20 mins (both totally dependant on Geelong traffic!)

CBD to Gunnamatta - About 1 Hour 40 mins

It is good living in near the city as you get choice of which coast to go to.. it doesn't matter what size swell.. and aslong as you don't get a southerly to easterly wind.. there is a wave on somewhere!

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Just remember, it doesn't barrel ay Ringy :wink:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:45 pm

SDA wrote:CBD to 13th or Torquay - About 1 hour 20 mins (both totally dependant on Geelong traffic!)

CBD to Gunnamatta - About 1 Hour 40 mins

It is good living in near the city as you get choice of which coast to go to.. it doesn't matter what size swell.. and aslong as you don't get a southerly to easterly wind.. there is a wave on somewhere!
I wouldn't live near the cbd again, least if it's at all comparable to syd, despite always having a great choice of which beach.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 pm

Fark moving to Melbourne.

Why don't you move to Sydney and come surf some crowded (fun) aggro metro beachies?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:07 pm

There's also less shark attacks in Vicco compared to South Oz - I'd go for it. 8)

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:52 am

Buff_Brad wrote:Melbourne surf = oxymoron?

No doubt Ringmaster's feathers will be ruffled.
Believe it or not you can get surf in Port Phillip Bay.

As Iggy mentions if you get a massive wind storm you can get some waves, the Beaumaris area is known to have good surf spots.

BTW the Eastlink tollway has slashed the travel time from Melbourne to the Mornington Peninsula too, handy if you want to get down for the early and trust me in summertime you do because the carparks start filling up by 7am at the latest.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:40 pm

The secret:

Live in Geelong.

47 minute express train to Melb CBD for work. (only costs $56 a week)

weekly rent for a unit is $160, opposed to $280 for apartment in CBD

only 18 Minutes to 13th beach/ Posso's,

20 minutes to Torquay point/ JanJuc

30 mins Bells, Winki, etc

a small sweeet drive to Anglesea, Fairhaven, Lorne ..............

If you decide this is the go, best geelong suburbs are geelong west, herne hill, manifold heights, belmont and a few others (avoid corio, norlane and whittington)

squids.

AZ
regular

Post by AZ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:39 am

I've done the reverse Stokie - living in Adelaide ex-Melbourne. I haven't surfed here enough to do a real comparison (just a few sessions at Knights), but from what I hear the Victor to Goolwa stretch is usually lacking quality even when swell and wind conditions are right. So in general you are driving 3hours+ for good quality waves?

Melbourne to Phillip Island, Mornington Peninsula and the Surf Coast is all approx 1.5hrs (a little less off peak). There are great waves in all areas if you pick your days.

Heavy (but fickle) beachies on the Mornington Peninsula (plus the states best lefthander if you have a boat). Phillip Island has amazing waves and handles a variety of wind conditions. The Surf Coast is often fat and slow, but up around 13th there are some great beachies. Winki is a great reef break but often crowded. If you head past Cape Otway (3hrs ish) there are great uncrowded waves too (with more swell than you could want most of the time).

I've skipped over a lot of places, but if you're there in summer and autumn you can't go wrong. Overall Melbourne is just like a big Adelaide and it's not that much of a journey back home.

Tom Tom - I get the impression you may not have found some of the states better reef breaks if you are claiming they are all stick friendly. The Bells area is a yawn for a bodyboard but I'll PM you some other spots.

Cheers.

PS here are a few samples of what's in store.....

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 am

^^^

Pic number two ain't for the feint hearted on a heavy day if it's where I'm thinking of. Short boards and boogers only for that one, some kid broke his neck there a few years ago if memory serves.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:32 am

No 4 !! where is number 4 !!??!!

I want some of that!!

AZ
regular

Post by AZ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Sequence of no. 4 for you Squid....
1. Image
2. Image
3. Image

My lips are sealed, but it breaks very infrequently. And yep Hatch, that is your favorite spot down near the Gunnery.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:20 pm

^^^^

8) Thought so!

I prefer Big Left myself though as you can get some brilliant rides on that break