This'll challenge all you macho he-men

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Clif wrote:
taxpayers are now being asked to fund the mardi gras
As you say Ric: we funded "World Youth Day" and "Surfing Reserves" , so why not Mardi Gras again?
Put simply Clif, I don’t think we should have funded WYD and I’m sure I am not alone, not as though the Catholic Church is going broke.

Surfing Reserves are totally different, it’s about the environment and not individuals. I have no problem with this and suspect the cost considerations might be somewhat different, no? A few signs perhaps, couple of dotted lines on some maps and internet sites, big deal. :D

Mardi Gras, I have no problem with and it’s nothing to do with sexual persuasion, I just don’t think we should foot the bill. If it supposedly brings so much revenue, let those that are benefiting keep it alive.

Would the taxpayer get asked to fund a sporting association, say like the NRL, if it wasn’t viable?

I realise that may be a simplistic view but if these, like any other event, can’t fund themselves by sponsorship or other means then perhaps they shouldn’t be on or why should it be up to us to prop up?

Got a spare bank roll for Layne Beachley’s contest or perhaps the taxpayer should pay for that too? What’s the difference. Manly Council contribute, they see a benefit to the local area.

So we have a Religious event, Reserve and a Cultural (?) event. I think there is a difference.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Oh well, worked for J. Edgar Hoover. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember him driving across a big wall at Kirra in the seventies. Doing big roller coasters on a side choppy day.

At 58 I think the operation would be a bit of over kill but I guess he's doing it for himself. Presumably he's been having a few trial runs over the years. :shock: Unless he just woke up one day and went bugger it I'm sick of these boardies and that penis will have to go too.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Would the taxpayer get asked to fund a sporting association, say like the NRL, if it wasn’t viable?
The NSW tax payers are getting rorted to finance V8 supercar racing to the tune of $30 million.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/why ... 89517.html

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Chong wrote:
The NSW tax payers are getting rorted to finance V8 supercar racing to the tune of $30 million.

Well you can only figure they see a return in it. Seems to work for Indy and F1 events.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:46 pm

pffft pittance.

We should contribute to the financial crisis fail-out, a few billion I say.

I am happy to have my taxes rorted.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:38 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Chong wrote:

Well you can only figure they see a return in it. Seems to work for Indy and F1 events.
I think it's a brilliant idea, I'll be going for sure, much better for punters than eastern creek or Oran park, transport infrastructure and catering already in place, will be a roaring success so long as they get the ticket pricing right.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:42 pm

WANDERER wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
Chong wrote:

I think it's a brilliant idea...
Perhaps some of the $30mil goes into other infrastructure, couldn’t find much in the article. At an anticipated $100mil/annum every year for 5 years not a bad return.

Clif, what is the revenue from das Mardi Gras? I’m coming around, but not out! :twisted:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:36 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Clif, what is the revenue from das Mardi Gras? I’m coming around, but not out! :twisted:
Surely that's un-measurable as most of it would fall into the "untaxed" region :arrow: and even though it's untaxed, it's dam hard to get those dollars out of oz, so it stays in and adds to oz's economy ;)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Mardi Gras revenue :?:

Moot point in some ways I reckon Ric, because the government funds innumerable 'straight' events in whatever guise for the whole year. So a few bucks for the rest is a pittance in any comparison.

Nevertheless, last year the Mardi Gras turned a profit of approx. 450K; of which it all went to charity.

And the flow on monies, jeez, it'd be a bloody lot. But the flow on monies and benefit is as Dino points out by and large unmeasurable (as all such financial speculation is, even though the Gov't and promoters like to trot out such figures as 'gospel', like they did during WYD).
[/i]

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 pm

Oh, did I mention Westerly is a legend :!: :?:

:D

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Clif wrote:Oh, did I mention Westerly is a legend :!: :?:

:D
Think he'll rate a float this year?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Clif wrote:Dino points out by and large unmeasurable
hmmm :? how come I make a point and it gets tagged to some farker, youse make a farking mag for farks sake :!: sorry but it's a sore and recurring point in my life

p.s what's happened to the good old days :?: I knew a surfer about 15 years ago who turned gay, he stopped surfing :arrow: a surfer's a surfer, a gays a gay, simple :!: nowadays shock jocks are poofs, surfers are gay a mans a woman and I'm bloody confused :twisted: cause I don't know where I stand, and I want to fit in :x somewhere :D
p.p.s johhno, yeah I know, wouldn't happen up your way :roll:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:45 pm

tomtom wrote:^ You're about 6 months too late, puurri... I'll let it slide this time, you old codger :P
Well I did see the Glamarama oroton sluggos mob and the glitter buffsters with angel wings.

FFS don't need to "catch up" but then again I go to an "integrated" beach anyway. Lipsticks, diesos, tatted arse antler grrrls, Teddy Bear Turk "cultural attaches", Brazza boogers, you name it. 8)

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 pm

sorry Munch :!: :oops:

marlowe
regular

Post by marlowe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:41 pm

Personally, I can't wait for the next Stubbies Reunion.

marlowe
regular

Post by marlowe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Crim wrote:Sh.t, he/she could surf. Used to be a hero - guess I'll have to relook at my heros.
Could this be a result of some horrendous wipeout we don't know about?
Can't be natural!!!
Well, you know, in the past, some famous surfers tried heroin.
Drouyn always was going one better; he's just at it again. He's gonna be a heroine.

Legend!! :D

Hey,

Headlines we've missed! (And the rags we missed 'em from)

Champion surfer pulls off for last time. (Gold Coast Bulletin)

Ex-champ gets well and truly slotted. (gotta be Tracks)

Man-on-man legend rides last wave and heads in to get tuckaway. (Age)

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:18 pm

tomtom wrote:
puurri wrote:
tomtom wrote:^ You're about 6 months too late, puurri... I'll let it slide this time, you old codger :P
Well I did see the Glamarama oroton sluggos mob and the glitter buffsters with angel wings.

FFS don't need to "catch up" but then again I go to an "integrated" beach anyway. Lipsticks, diesos, tatted arse antler grrrls, Teddy Bear Turk "cultural attaches", Brazza boogers, you name it. 8)
Lady Jane? :lol:
Hardly (no pun intended).
Port Jackson's only regular surf beach and Iggy and KK know where. (but cattletick priest free as far as I know). Definitely not Whale Beach or North Palmie OK? Run out of industrial strength reef oil have we? :lol:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Good one Munch. Of course there were no gay surfers in the old days :roll:
The Northern Beaches was crawling with old rock spiders wasn't it?

I respect anyone who has the strength to get up and be counted for what they think is important in their life. Can't see how that would be a solution but there you go.

Pity Westerly missed out on Blue Crush. Maybe she could be in the sequal.
"Sunset? I'll show you how to ride Sunset."
"Gee thanks Mrs Westerly."