board cover zipper

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

What do you do when your board cover zip breaks?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Buy a new board cover
No votes
Get the broken zip fixed by a third party
No votes
Ask others for help and ideas on how to fix it
100%
Recycle it for another use
No votes
Throw it out for landfill
No votes

Total votes: 1

cactusmike

board cover zipper

Post by cactusmike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:45 pm

The YKK plastic zipper puller for my Creatures of Leisure board cover has corroded and only runs on one not both lines of its zipper. I contacted COL and they advised I see an upholsterer which I've done twice. Both said they did not have in stock but that I needed a replacement size 6 chunky straight zip puller. Any ideas or thoughts on where I might source one would be warmly appreciated. Would rather sustain the present generally good and well travellled board cover for a nominal cost than buy a replacement. Thanks in anticipation. Cactus Mike.

terrysurf

Post by terrysurf » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:20 am

I went through this after US customs cut my padlocked board bag open on my way home from Hawaii last year. Took it to a canvas/caravan awning manufacturer and they sewed a new stainless steel zip on to the bag for
$20. They reckon that the zip they put on it will never rust so hopefully it won't seize up in coming years.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:45 am

pretty simple ..if you cant fix it, buy a new one :roll:

anorbury

Post by anorbury » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:36 pm

give WD40 a go and try to remember to spray every 6 months or so

TRBA

Post by TRBA » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:25 pm

I think I read here once that you can take them to sailmakers and they will put a new zip on. It is really annoying that they use zips not designed to be near salt water.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:11 pm

I went through this after US customs cut my padlocked board bag open on my way home from Hawaii last year
:?

WTF? Did they give you any compensation?

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:18 pm

bootmaker will fix it, or leave it out for the elves!

AC

Post by AC » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Take it to any major mariner which has a sail-maker or repair shop - they will sew in a stainless steel zip for about $30.

I've had it done at both the Spit and Newport Mariners.

AC

Post by AC » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Take it to any major mariner which has a sail-maker or repair shop - they will sew in a stainless steel zip for about $30.

I've had it done at both the Spit and Newport Mariners.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:46 am

Toby wrote:
Chong wrote:
I went through this after US customs cut my padlocked board bag open on my way home from Hawaii last year
:?

WTF? Did they give you any compensation?
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to lock your bag for exactly that reason. I think you can even get locks that customs services have master keys for. I use cable ties, so they can still cut them if they want but at least you'll know about it. A padlock's only going to dissuade opportunistic thieves anyway, so hopefully a cable tie will do the same. If someone really wants your bag or it's contents they'll get inside it no matter what you've got on the zip.
Before travelling through the US i was told not to use padlocks. I didnt, and when I unpacked my bag at home after being in the US I found a US customs note inside that stated that they had searched my bag randomly. It also stated that any locks on any bag can be broken by US customs in order for the bag to be searched at the owners expense, and that they are not liable.