Looking for a new board

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

longyfreshy
Grommet

Looking for a new board

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:47 am

I am looking for a board for my 17yr old son who I want to be able to get him for when he finishes his HSC!
I do abit of surfing but ride a Miller fish which suits my standard of surfing (very average if that LOL!)
My son has been surfing since he was about 8 on a foamy then I purchased a Webber board 5'11" (sorry don't know the dimensions but quite light) when he was 12 and he has had that since. Unfortunately we don't have alot of money thats why he has had the board so long. The last couple of years he has surfed very very little as others things have gotton in the way and he now wants to get back into again but he is 70kg and 5'10" the board sinks on him way too much and he can't really do much with it. I have been told JS boards are really good? But would love some feedback and where the best place would be to go, I live in Sydney and we surf on the northern beaches. Would it be cheaper going to the factory's or is there a good shop that would have a good quality 2nd hand board as buying a brand new with boards being around $700 is impossible.

Thanks for any help. :)

p.s Oh as I am older ebay is too hard and I would rather see the board in person.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 am

hey LF, go to one of the better board-oriented shops, quite a few in Manly (not the Corso fashion centres, but along Pittwater Rd behind the beach front). They all have solid second hand ranges, and look for something in the 6'3" x 18.5" x 2.3" range. Preferably squashtail. Chilli, JS, Simon all tend to bias toward slightly bigger people, they're really good at disguising extra thickness along the stringer, they're all pretty good bets for your son who will need a fraction more help with paddling till he regains surf fitness. You shouldn't need to pay more than $300.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:54 pm

LF...i have a couple of virtually new boards for sale...dunno if this is the right place for this but>>>

1. 6'2 JS - 19" wide and fairly thick. EXCELLENT condition. No dings at all. I've ridden it 10 times or so. Good board, good for average surf ability.

2. 6'0 Tolhurst Epoxy Quad fish. Almost new. Again ridden very little. No dings. I don't really recommend this one though.

Yeah. I've got too many boards and sometimes buy something I don't really 'need'!!!

:?

PM for details. I'm not too far away.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:07 pm

without abusing this forum too much LF, please check my web-site at www.moresurfboards.com and you will see that not all new boards go for $700....cheers

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Thanks for the advice and will be checking it all out and making some contacts. I will have some free time next week to do this. :)

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:29 am

LF may I recomend you check out dripping wet just behind north steyne SLSC. They are really good on pricing and have a huge range of new and second hand boards.

I have similar dimensions to your son, and recently picked up a brind new rusty hybrid for about $500, which is pretty good for a new board. The boys there know what they're talking about and are very helpful, whilst not being pushy like most board and surfshops.

Wish old mate good luck with the big H, and tel him that it only gets easier afterwards.

sir_fur71
regular

Post by sir_fur71 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 am

Hi LF, The suggestions made so far all make sense. The board shops around Manly are good value. The guys at Dripping Wet are worth talking too as is Tim and the guys at Aloha on Pittwater Rd.

This may be a long shot but you may also consider talking to any of the sponsored surfers down at Manly, many ride boards around 6'2 and would most likely have have a few older boards they are keen to off load at a good price. Keep an eye out, if you see one of the board riders clubs having a comp on the weekend go have a chat to them.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39 am

It could be worthwhile taking a look at what's available on eBay. You can pick up some bargain secondhand boards there.

If you want a new board try ordering direct from a shaper. $700 is the showroom price. Direct from the shaper should knock $150 to $200 off that.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 pm

Know what you mean about avoiding ebay. So don't want to go there.

I have a webber 6'6'' afterburner in extremely good nick, no depressions, no scratches, tail pad, that I'm looking to get rid of. Will be much cheaper than what you would find similar for in board shop.

His dimensions just about exactly mine.

PM if interested, and that goes for anyone else!

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Yeah. I've got too many boards and sometimes buy something I don't really 'need'!!!
You are just way too fickle when it comes to boards.

Remember a surfboard is for (its) life not just for christmas :lol: