what boards havent you ridden ???

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

what boards havent you ridden ???

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 am

What board design havent you ridden ? why not and what would you like to try ?

have you ridden old school singles, twinnies, thrusters, quaddies, bonzers, channell bottoms, fish, min-mals, longboards or what havent you had a crack on yet ??? :?:

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:19 am

I've got a great little Jet twinny shaped by Tony Cerf from '83 which is alot of fun to ride. Really loose with huge V.

Never ridden a bonzer, and only ridden channels once, in bali for about 4 surfs till it snapped and i lost the top half in the current.

Yes, ridden heaps of different fishes, coz a mate who backyard shapes keeps experimenting with them.

Singles are fun, but i dont have one right now. And I've got a 8ft mal/mini mal which is ok when its really small.

I really want to try one of those quads which you get shaped a bit shorter and a bit wider than your usual thruster.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:38 am

A single, or something along the lines of an all rounder fat bat.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:04 am

I've recently joined the single fin club, and honestly haven't been back to my normal shortboard since, although I am looking forward to it when more swell finally comes.

I want to try a bonzer and would love to suss out a small quad fish. I'm off to hawaii this arvy so I might see what I can rent for when I'm potting around not being dragged into shops and stuff :(

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:38 am

Only ever had 3

a 6'10" thruster
a 7'6" minimal
and a 7' thruster

I no longer have the minimal and the 6'10" is pretty stuffed, quite a few dings and it no longer supports my weight

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 am

Mini-mals are the f**ken Devil's work.

I have ridden one ... for about 10 minutes. If there were a worldwide Holocaust that left me alone on the planet with nought but a mini-mal, I would ride one again -- until I got round to cutting down a tree.

Haven't ridden that modern Wegener alaia yet, gotta do that pretty soon.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:04 am

One of my all time favourites was a 5 fin Campbell Bros Bonzer (ex Mitch Thorson board I believe). Rode that thing for a couple of years in the early 90's until it literally fell apart. Worked well in nearly all waves.

Love riding channel bottoms, almost to the exclusion of everything else.

Tried lots of designs but yet to try a quad. Also want to have a crack on alternative materials...epoxy, firewire etc..

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:12 am

george greenough spoon for top of the list.

a twin fin swallow tail with lots of channels was the dream board when i was kid, mid 70s. never ridden one. saw one at rozelle markets last year - realised i was never going to get to my feet on it and left it.

love to try a tom wegner wooden mal. (i'll skip the roy stewart 13' reverse nugget).

a classic twin fin fish kneeboard.

and i want to go for a surf with a real esky lid - both metal and foam to test performance differences.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 pm

there's one shape i've been keen to try, and now is probably a good time of season to do so ... a high performance groveller quad:

my everyday all rounder is

6'3, 18'3/4 and 2'1/4 or 2'3/8

and i'd be looking at

6'1 or 6'2, 19 and 2'3/8 or 2'1/2

it'd have a flattish entry and belly rocker for fat wave speed, with some tail kick for the pocket - nothing too extreme in either case

and a deepish single conc.

rounded square, with little or no hip and low soft rails.

the foil would carry the thickness up under the front foot more than the back foot, slowly tapering out into the nose. the tail would thin out a tiny bit more to give the familiar feel of a normal shorty.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:25 pm

jeeze....i've ridden a few " alternatives"

but yet be crossed off the list are :arrow:

1-a full blowin hawaian gun

like those huge sunset/waiama models

not in stupidly huge surf....but in a size just outside my comfort zone

( say 3 ft :lol: )

2- a finless surfboard :idea:

p.s hey iggy...just on quads ( they do all vary greatly) what kinda got me excited is the points i surf now are quite quick and very down the line

the quads just have more speed on take off

but don't come off the top as well a thruster

like all design....u got trade OFF

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 pm

looks like its gunna be a big summer for quads, 75% of my boards lately are quads and from what I have read its going to be a popular choice for a while. they go great and reckon Iggy described pretty well, gotta surf em for a few surfs to get the extra drive and free feeling sorted but they can be a bit less pivotty off the top, I try to put a touch more rocker in the tail and a touch more curve in the planshape thru the back third, seems to work....lots of guys wanting to try shapes and makes me wonder why they havent yet ? I guess theres endless designs out there and be impossible to try them all...heaps of fun trying though :lol:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm

why? because i'm broke!

thx dino, will have to check it out one day.

scatters

boards?

Post by scatters » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:57 pm

In order I think I started in '65 when the old man got us an 8'' balsa board.Surfed 11' Keyo,Wallace 8' stubbie,various trackers,pintails,Bettentt 5'6'' double ender,5'6" Tom Hoye twinnie (best board or I was riding my best at the time),Mctavish bluebird (had main fin & 2 small glass fins on side),McT swallowtail,San Juan,MR twinnies,McCoy nuggett,McTav bonzer 5 fin, McT carver,currently got miller fkate& pglide (both excellent). Don't know if I got 'em all!.

Now the only board I havn't ridden, some of the older crew may have to explain this to youngsters,is a SLIDESLIPPER. Proably rare as rocking horse shit now.These were around in the 70's had a wide heavily reockered nose, narrowish tail a finger fin.(no really) The fin was as about 4" - 6" long & as thin as your bird finger. All you could really do was 360's, spinning on the face of the wave, which was why they didn't take off.
There is some footage in a movie but can't remember which one.

So, will any of the older crew own up to having owned/ridden one? what did ya think of it?

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:40 am

FOR IGGY-AH!

And just lately seeing you
I awake on pink sheets
I am renewed
I am aglow

Mark E Smith?

If I've got this wrong it'll make about as much sense as a tuflite longboard.

Which I have ridden. Horrible. But what do I know.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:56 am

want to ride , Lazor Zap, Fireball , MR twinny, Akila Aipia twinny and one of those Delta things with all the steps, channells and flutes everywhere...
sure I will think of some more soon ..... a dimple bottom, an Erle Peterson Jet Bottom, a Fangtail ( shaped one but havent surfed one yet ), I saw a Mick Grace shaped blank with 12 channells when I was about 15 and it looked super sick, glasser and sanders nightmare but always wondered how it went ..... ... and a flex tail
Last edited by pridmore on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:02 am

If I tell you what I haven't ridden ... you'll be able to work out what I have ridden ... :idea: ... and part of that list is simply too embarressing to mention ... :oops: :wink:

a few gems from the past ....

'outer island' , designed for big indo back in the '80's with the really square rails ...

when I was about 10 ... a 'wallace' spoon , looked like an egg and had a weird bump through the deck through the botton third and the spoon like up-turned nose ...

winged keel ... cheyne horan and ben lexen design ... (total piece of crap except when ridden by cheyne horan)

I rode a board of glen winton's in the mid '80's that had 7 fins ... I struggled with it ... he destryed on it ... 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:47 am

Want to ride:
An 80s Occy Rusty
One of those pinnie single fins
A quad
A board made entirely of wood
One of those hydro foil boards

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Mini-mals are the f**ken Devil's work.

I have ridden one ... for about 10 minutes. If there were a worldwide Holocaust that left me alone on the planet with nought but a mini-mal, I would ride one again -- until I got round to cutting down a tree.

Haven't ridden that modern Wegener alaia yet, gotta do that pretty soon.
Couldnt agree more with the mini mal thing, especially when they come bouncing sideways through the foam at you with a german backpacker tied to the end. But, what about a 9fter Nick, bet you have one of those around somewhere????