Why do bodyboarders drop-knee?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

well why do they?

'cause it's almost like standing up
62%
gets the flippers out of the water
No votes
fear of sharks
No votes
anything to be taller
38%

Total votes: 13

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 am

Just as Tom Morey intended ringmaster, the ocean being able to be enjoyed by everyone, little kids, big mummas, granma's. Egalitarian not elitism. :lol:

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:50 am

yes, the ocean for everyone - but mainly for stupid arrogant self-righteous small-minded greedy people! did i mention short people? maybe it's unnecessary, but i really want to say 'short people'! what's that op ivy song? shit my memory's all messed up. maybe it's not even op ivy. i'll just ramble on down the road, then...

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Lucky Al wrote:yes, the ocean for everyone - but mainly for stupid arrogant self-righteous small-minded greedy people! did i mention short people? maybe it's unnecessary, but i really want to say 'short people'! what's that op ivy song? shit my memory's all messed up. maybe it's not even op ivy. i'll just ramble on down the road, then...
The song's by master songwriter Randy Newman:-
"short people got no reason to live,
they got little hands, little eyes,
they go around telling great big lies....."

Before anyone jumps, read all the lyrics. It was a song that denounces, rather than encourages, prejudice.

Now where were we, why dropknee? Just another step in the evolution of bodyboarders to eventually standing up ....

Butts

Post by Butts » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Dino, yellow card buddy.

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:47 pm

Haha, Roach can do bigger turns and snaps on his DK board than most stand-up surfers will ever do. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-9ozBczBI

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:22 am

all you surfers are just jealous we get more barrels then you! ha suck sh.it!

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:39 am

Heefcote is OMP's 20 minute older twin.

You're on a rampage old son, time to herd up these sticks and terrorise them..riot dyke! riot dyke! riot dyke!

CRACKERS
regular

Re: Why do bodyboarders drop-knee?

Post by CRACKERS » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:22 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:this is not a smnmntl bait...I really want to know.

Im not sure if there is an advantage if your looking a dking v shortboarding.

I just like doing it and im not that keen on paddling in and getting my shortboard every time i feel like getting up. personally ive never thought about why i dropknee that much.

Its kind of funny people saying how bad it looks in small surf and to check out how bad it looks on video.....i know i look bad for the most part dking and shortboarding and id say 90% of the waves ridden every surf at my local are ridden pretty badly, most surfers and bbers have bad styles and make it look like hard work but its fun anyway so it doesnt matter.

Harold Holt

Post by Harold Holt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 pm

geez, I always took it for granted that it was just part of the evolutionary process

vert
Grommet

Post by vert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:13 pm

paul roach shreds at stand up surfing too...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:27 pm

CRACKERS wrote:Im not sure if there is an advantage if your looking a dking v shortboarding.
No, trust me, I was not looking to compare dking and high performance stand-up surfing.

I was intrigued by drop-knee thanks to watching a kid try it over and over without success sometime last week, suddenly thought "there must be some technical/style benefit here otherwise why the f**k would you do it", and thought I'd ask the site.

I knew a bit about Jack the Ripper and Roach, and Keith Sasaki, but figured things must have come along a fairly long way since they were at a peak.

Shoulda expected a fair bit of knee-jerkery on the subject (pun intended) from both sides, but a bit disappointed that more bbers don't seem to understand much about their sport or are willing to try to explain it. petelv in particular, pretty lame effort there for a guy who always seems so boostery about bbing vs everything else, if you can't explain it when asked then what good are ya.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:36 pm

maybe pete is an artist who can't explain his art?

offshore
regular

Post by offshore » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Dropknee resembles a heavily handicapped person attempting to get out of a wheelchair.

It's about the most ungraceful thing you see riding the waves, with the possible exception of old blokes on goatboats.

CRACKERS
regular

Post by CRACKERS » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
CRACKERS wrote:Im not sure if there is an advantage if your looking a dking v shortboarding.
No, trust me, I was not looking to compare dking and high performance stand-up surfing.

I was intrigued by drop-knee thanks to watching a kid try it over and over without success sometime last week, suddenly thought "there must be some technical/style benefit here otherwise why the f**k would you do it", and thought I'd ask the site.

I knew a bit about Jack the Ripper and Roach, and Keith Sasaki, but figured things must have come along a fairly long way since they were at a peak.

Shoulda expected a fair bit of knee-jerkery on the subject (pun intended) from both sides, but a bit disappointed that more bbers don't seem to understand much about their sport or are willing to try to explain it. petelv in particular, pretty lame effort there for a guy who always seems so boostery about bbing vs everything else, if you can't explain it when asked then what good are ya.

yeah fair enough, i didnt mean to come across as having a go at you.
pretty funny how people took your question , i must admit.
I guess i cant add much to the debate other then its fun so thats why i do it and i dont care if it looks shit to other people, im not in it to be pro?
I assume to thats why people ride pretty much every type of board, at least at the start.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:36 pm

The nomenclature doesn't work.
Shouldn't it be 'up-knee' or 'lift-knee'?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Harold Holt wrote:geez, I always took it for granted that it was just part of the evolutionary process
Your right it is evolution trying to get off there gut to stand........... :wink: :lol:

Good thread Nick ........ :roll: :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Johnno wrote:Good thread Nick ........ :roll: :lol:
yeah suppose I asked for it hey. :)

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm

How can you be surprised no bodyboarder on these boards are putting in an effort in answering your question? In this thread you have a poll that pokes fun the sport and one of your earlier posts you let slip and wrote off bodyboarding. You are also one of the main bb'er write off machines on this site. Plus there are a few pathetic smnmntl try hards abouts. If you were serious you went the wrong way about it.