Why do bodyboarders drop-knee?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

well why do they?

'cause it's almost like standing up
62%
gets the flippers out of the water
No votes
fear of sharks
No votes
anything to be taller
38%

Total votes: 13

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:35 am

~haha~

People dk because it's an alnernative way to ride different forms of waves. If you want to see footage of pro dk riders go on youtube and check out Matt Lackey, Paul Roach, Dylan Lee, Dave Hubb, Mason Rose, etc.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 am

seems to give them more torque through turns to me. like standing up, your shoulders become the axis that you turn through.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 am

You might have to simplify the question you journalistic juggernaut, KnickerlessKarroll. :D

Edit: Our simian friend has given a reason... well done MonkeyM

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:02 am

OK I will try again.

Can somebody who understands it explain to me exactly what the technical and style advantages and disadvantages are in drop-knee bodyboarding -- what kinds of surf and physique does it suit best and why -- where it began and where it's going.

I would really appreciate an intelligent, informed and insightful answer to these questions.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:31 pm

The serious answer Nick to your question can be found in a similar rhetorical question -
Why do dogs lick their dicks?

Every time I see this done, drop Kneeing not dick licking ( although smnntlll will probably have an honest opinion on the similarities.)I ask why hasn't more of this tribe progressed to kneeboarding??? Thats what they are doing, isn't it??????

It proves gutsliders have a Darwinian need to evolve. What you are witnessing is the apex of their skills learning curve.

Why hasnt this tribe then embraced kneeboarding - you can still carry them under your arm on the ferry girls . :lol:

8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:20 pm

I have no idea why because it is the ugliest thing to watch, no grace or flow or beauty in this what so ever, nobody can make that look appealing...Body boarding is one thing and those guys who charge and drop into some serious late pits, well I can understand that but drop kneeing on crappy small beachies. ??? got me buggered...They should have a look at themselves on vid..might change their opinion..

Hasnt Gav got some issues :roll: :roll: :roll:

each to their own , do what feels good but I can not understand that one....???
Last edited by pridmore on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrysurf

Post by terrysurf » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:02 pm

As someone who bodyboarded in my younger days, I feel I can at least try and answer the question. I suppose I started to try dropknee when I was about 18/19 and I had pretty much gotten as good as I was going to get riding prone. I could do rolls, airs, ARS's, ride pretty deep barrels, and even the occasional air reverse by then but I pretty much stopped improving.

So I started flirting with dropknee for something different when the waves were small, but as I got better at it I started doing it in most conditions until it was pretty much how I rode 80% of the time.

I guess I got great pleasure from the carving and barrel riding, but once again I felt like I had stopped improving and wasn't really learning anything new, so one day I borrowed a mate's 6'2" and I haven't looked back since. That was 10 years ago, ever since I've ridden my shooter and I always feel like I learn something every time I surf, whether its one foot junk or 6 foot and perfect.

I'll never look down on someone who charges dropknee though, its bloody hard and barrel riding dropknee is much harder than on a surfboard.

Doesn't mean I'll go back to it though!

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:05 pm

That's more like it ^^^ :D

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:30 pm

I too have a confession to make.
I started on a lid, rode one with my mates age 14-16 I think.
Realised pretty quick watching surfers there was a hell of a lot more you could do on a board.
I saw a photo of a guy riding drop knee (late 70s???), tried it in big closeouts somewhere near Nelson Bay...... I was upright and it just felt better!
Within a week I had my first stick (G&S single fin) and never looked back.
So yeah, I think its evolution. From the swamp comes slugs who evolve to stand..............

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:08 pm

terrysurf is right, barrel riding dropknee on a bodyboard is harder than on a surfboard.
For this reason I respect the dropknee riders out there.
Check out Kainoa Mcgee dropknee at pipe, its pretty impressive. Check the first DK wave at the 30 sec mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rdml50bDw

I also went from riding a lid to surfing. Needless to say for me surfing wins hands down, but when I did ride a lid I started dropkneeing a little and learning to dk was A LOT harder than learing to ride a surfboard.
This I think is the appeal for some.

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:08 pm

i do it i like it. i get barreled doing it i will keep doing.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Well come on heefy EXPLAIN IT.

I am thrilled to be finally getting some cool feedback on this but I would really still like to know the technical and stylistic basis of it and how/who developed it.

I refuse to believe the Realsurf BB cliche: ie, witless juvenile emo cretin kooks. Kainoa McGee is anything but; he'd disembowel smnmntl as soon as look at him. Mike Stewart is one of the five smartest and most aware water people I know. Ben Player is a brilliant individual.

How about some of you others rise to it.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: I refuse to believe the Realsurf BB cliche: ie, witless juvenile emo cretin kooks. Kainoa McGee is anything but; he'd disembowel smnmntl as soon as look at him. Mike Stewart is one of the five smartest and most aware water people I know. Ben Player is a brilliant individual.
Had not heard of Kainoa McGee so I youtubed him. Looks like he is fairly handy on an SUP as well.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFMYOx-dAE

Drop knee looks completely non-functional and cumbersome to me.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:23 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:why -- where it began and where it's going.

I would really appreciate an intelligent, informed and insightful answer to these questions.
"The story about Drop Knee Riding said that Jack "the Ripper" Lindholm was the first bodyboarder to ride like this and it was during a demonstration in between two heats of the Pipe Master ; it was a solid 12 feet + on that day …"

QUOTE TAKEN FROM http://www.saltwater-dreaming.com/bodyb ... ouvres.htm

OH DEAR....IF SIMION LOOKS AROUND THAT SITE :shock: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

as too where it's going....from what i've seen...deeper and faster

they need improve there boards designs

but yeah....i don't mind drop knee

mind you...i've seen some worlds best :shock:

and there last name isn't king and there noT convicted thiefs ( fock u kingy ya trap THIEF)

k_boarder
regular

Post by k_boarder » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Good questions Nick.

The drop knee stance is said to have been invented by Jack Lindholm, one of bodyboarding's pioneers back in the 70s. He took the dk stance to Pipeline, which made people sit up and take notice of what he was doing.
Nick Carroll wrote:OK I will try again.

Can somebody who understands it explain to me exactly what the technical and style advantages and disadvantages are in drop-knee bodyboarding -- what kinds of surf and physique does it suit best and why -- where it began and where it's going.

It suits perfect bowly 3-4ft waves on the rider's forehand the best.

Advantages? The bodyboarder now has a higher pivot point, which allows them to bend in and out of face turns more effectively and better twist and torque through turns.
They can also do turns that are harder to perform (or are less effective) while prone, such as snaps and floaters.
The fact that dk can be done on the same board as prone riding is also an advantage.

Disadvantages? A lot of the control the rider has over the board is lost, especially when going backhand. The boards are also pathetically slow when ridden upright, which means the dk'er often doesn't have enough speed to make critical sections or to pull off their moves effectively (watch them try and 'throw the tail' in less-than-perfect surf, it's one giant arse wiggle session).
This is the most critical disadvantage- speed is essential for good surfing and drop knee bodyboarders are heavily reliant on the wave to provide speed for them. If the waves can't provide it for them, then they simply aren't going to have any. They can't pump their boards or create their own speed in an effective way like surfers or kneeboarders.

Also, I don't buy the 'it's good because it's hard' argument. It's like shooting yourself in the foot before a running race and then thinking that everybody should recognise you for running second last instead of last.
Instead of finding everyday things like building and mainting speed on a wave hard, dk guys could instead be riding a kneeboard or a surfboard and letting the board take care of that part of their surfing for them. This would free them to start going for bigger moves instead of always being bogged down by the limitations of their equipment.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 pm

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:31 am

I think the other question here is why wouldn't you just kneeboard as opposed to drop-kneeing on a booger.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:42 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:
mind you...i've seen some worlds best :shock:

and there last name isn't king and there noT convicted thiefs ( fock u kingy ya trap THIEF)
Are you referring to Eppo and Todd De Graff in your Port days? Todd was one of my best mates in primary school in Sydney. I'll never forget how shatterred he was when me and a mate cut off his rats-tail for a bit of fun (sounds harsh ay? :oops: )... Hope he's doing ok and out of trouble. He had potential to be as big as Eppo...

As for drop kneeing, it's just another opp for Boogers to ride a wave differently. When waves are fat, bodyboarding prone isn't very fun so drop-kneeing adds a challenge. As for the guys that take it to bigger waves (Kanioa, Paul Roach, Chris Won, Jack the Ripper), i reckon it's rad. Imagine surfing big hollow waves without fins...

And I'll add to the confessions in this thread: I was once a booger too and did enjoy it when it got hollow. I only started surfing because i got sick of boogieing when it wasn't thick and wedgy...

*Fong, what's the stolen trap story all about?!?
Last edited by rightbrainpositive on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.