Melbourne is killing my surfing passion but

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Melbourne is killing my surfing passion but

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 pm

I seem to be getting a new passion for snowboarding again. Living and working in Melbourne has been a huge change, the surf used to be less than 5 mins from me now its an hour and it's f##king ten degrees in the water. To be honest I have had some really good surfs down here, Phillip Island being one of my favourites.

Been hard to find the desire to go surfing when its 4 degrees out and the water isnt much warmer so I have been taking advantage of the close proximity to the snow and been going every weekend. Been funny being a bit of kook again at something new and a bit eye opening as well,maybe when I move back to the northern beaches i won't be so hard on those learning to surf................maybe.

I can honestly say I have been indulging in some seriously boganic pursuits since I got here, spending bulk cash on doing up the car and spending every week night in the gym training with weights and eating ridiculous amounts of food to get bigger. 2 years ago I would have considered this lifestyle to be completely alien and incomprehensible. Funny how circumstances and outlook changes, havent had more than 2 beers in one sitting for 3 months and before last weekend hadnt had any alcohol for a month.

Mybe this is a period of self growth that will help me with a greater appreciation of my fellow man that doesn't understand what it is to surf. Anybody else out there experienced anything similiar or am I just starting to go completely mental from work stress and not surfing? Dont get me wrong I am happy but not in a way I would have ever thought possible till this year............

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:11 pm

nbguy, it's something I think about often, the way that life moves you, whether it goes in the direction that you thought you wanted to go or not.

I'm contemplating the way that passion moves me and how I have no control about what will grab me and shake me and obsess me. I wonder about my waxing and waning passion for surfing and whether it will ever reach the dizzy heights of the first few years. Most of all I'm really happy that life probably has turns in store for me that I cannot foresee.

But apart from all that, when you find yourself filled with a sense of self satisfaction from having waxed the car just right, it probably is time for you to get the hell outta there.

For the moment you can recognise the infiltration of your boganic ways, but eventually you will not be able to see it any more, and one day you will look in the mirror and see a mullet and call out to Charlene to get the keys to the ute, and you won't even know how you got there, or where you are.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah life is a funny thing, having been born in Mona Hospital and living in Newport all my life I thought I might need a change of scenery lest I become one of those gnarled old fellas at the arms talking bout the good old days without ever really having been anywhere else.

Yeah mate the boganic antics are hitting a little hard, stainless steel headers and high flow cats, PCM tuning and dirty great big V8 noises out of a ute and I'm also contemplating amps and subs and all manner of other stuff. Ah well I migth continue to channel my inner bogan for a while yet!

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:45 am

On the positive side you can still wear a flanny and be acceptable by both parties 8)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am

nthnbeachesguy wrote:lest I become one of those gnarled old fellas at the arms talking bout the good old days
Larry :shock: :twisted:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 am

Just move down the coast mate - then you can surf as much as you like!

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:43 am

I'm the reverse.

Grew up in Melboring, went snowboarding every weekend in high school with my best mate. But I've lived in Colorado and at Buller for a bit. When I'm in Colorado, I have keen. Now I am back in Sydney, I don't feel as much desire to go snowboarding (I'm yet to actually head up this season unfortunantly). I'd much rather be sufing atm.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:23 pm

As much as I would like to move down to one of the coasts it's really not an option, work commitments just wouldn't allow it, all my meetings happen in the city and surrounds and the commute just isn't worth it. Living in Elwood at the moment so its pretty central to everything and there is a "lovely" bay to go for walks along and swimming in summer......... Not really very appetising but when it's 40degrees you just do it.

I almost can't beleive myself my lack of interest in alcohol, up until this year I was a ravenous pisshound usually found in Manly of a weekend chasing skirt. Probably got something to do with living with my girlfriend I guess.

Coming back for a quick trip to Sydney next weekend for my Mum's 60th which I'm really looking forward to, catching up with family and friends will be great!

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:59 pm

why not save your money and head OS on a surfing trip for a a couple of months.
I agree with Salty - leave your ute unmodified and go to indo/samoa/wa/hawaii/anywhere but st kilda and re-discover your love of surfing good (warm) waves

I lived in the UK for 18 months a few years back and I found it really confronting. I managed to surf a bit but it was generally average, freezing and a 2-3 hour car trip from where I lived. I had a good time but would never do it again.

northeasterly
regular

Post by northeasterly » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:05 pm

I lived in the northern beaches all my life. Then moved to London for work. Was there for 5 years. Best thing I ever did.

I came back to Sydney with a NEED to surf. I just gorged myself on waves. Years later and the novelty of surfing still hasn't worn off.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Reunion Island.... NorthernBeachesGuy.

A holiday there will fix you up. St Leu is fcuking great as are the French/African "Creole' babes. The word "babes" is a massive understatement as well. Just learn some French.....and some of the language as well. 8)

The gym ...... yeah Buff Brad knows how addictive that can be. Fight it pal....a six pack isnt everything.....well nearly everything.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am

REUNION ISLAND depends on the time of year and apparently the vibe has changed , when last were you there ?

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:28 am

Elwood eh? You been surfing much lately mate?

Reunion? Hmmm nah I am keen to go on another indo boat trip though, I love those things, just like an extended bucks weekend with your mates surfing perfect waves and drinking beer every night. Posted up some pics from a couple of years ago in the pics thread I think it was, just looking at em got me a little pumped again!

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:32 am

Buff_Brad wrote:Reunion Island.... NorthernBeachesGuy.

A holiday there will fix you up. St Leu is fcuking great as are the French/African "Creole' babes. The word "babes" is a massive understatement as well. Just learn some French.....and some of the language as well. 8)

The gym ...... yeah Buff Brad knows how addictive that can be. Fight it pal....a six pack isnt everything.....well nearly everything.
Got the girl thing all wrapped up, happy as can be in that department. The gym is an outlet and a curse at the same time, most everything I eat is based around that, 1kg of tuna and 1/2 kilo of chicken a day add in some oats, basmati rice and vegies and thats how i eat most everyday! managed to get to 108kgs reasonably lean, no visible abs but adding in some cardio would help ha ha ha ha!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:35 am

Elwood?!?!?!
Elwood?!?!?!
Elwood?!?!?!

Fcuking yuppies!!! No wonder you don't surf, too busy drinking lattes and chardys down in St Kilda.

Got the roof racks on the compact SUV yet?

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:45 am

Does this look like a compact SUV????

I do indulge in the coffee side of things but usually a flat white.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 am

Ha ha ha easy to do i reckon, been saving a fair bit of money not drinking and been spending it on more productive things.

I hear ya about the cyclists though, they are everywhere and act like complete tossers all the time. The most hilarious is the rollerbladers in their full length lycra that burn around albert park, that makes me laugh.

I don't fit in that much either, Brighton is pretentious as hell, kinda similar to Bondi and St Kilda is like Oxford St, homeless bums begging for coin, transexuals all over in the early morning hours and druggies as well. Elwood seems to have a decent medium between the two i reckon.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:20 am

You probably have, i live between the roundabout shops and the other set of shops on Ormond Rd so I'm driving through there a couple of times a day.