fins

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Fins make a big difference to your surfing?

Different fins are a hoax!
7%
Its how u surf the board, not the fins.
7%
fins make a small difference
53%
fins are everything!
13%
Buff Brad should die
20%

Total votes: 15

Jimi
Local

fins

Post by Jimi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:56 am

What fins are people riding? Ive only really had extended periods on FCS yu, G5's , M5's, and raptor fins R5CSUL.
My fav was the raptors on a 6'1 round tail. The others ive ridden on boards from 6'1 to 6'4. The most comfortable ive found are the old G5's. I havnt started mixing up rear and front fins yet, but am interested in hearing what people are riding for different conditions and especially how long it took to find your preferred fin choice??

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 am

I've never really given it much thought.

Currently using FCS M7's on my 7' and they seem fine to me

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:57 am

huge difference, but i wouldn't recommend continually swapping for conditions.

some boards lean towards certain fin set ups, and certainly guys like certain fin designs more than others .. but once you've worked out which fins go with which board i wouldn't swap them around because the surf is different.

i like the occy's in fcs and vector 2's in futures. whenever i've had glass ins they've worked because the shaper has known what goes with the board.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:03 am

I found the my board really likes 2 outside H-2's and a centre M-5, it goes well for me :)

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 am

as you'd expect, it made a big difference when i replaced the 12inch raked fin with a more modern design.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am

Larger outer fins and a smaller centre fin generally works for me. Say a G5 or GPR on the outside and a G3 in the centre. That sort of combo seems to loosen the board up a lot more than just a straight set of G5s or GPRs, for instance.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:16 pm

K2.1's on my 6'2, if the surf is a bit bigger may go to K2.1 centre fin with M5s on the side, or sometimes M5s.

M5s on my 6'8.

M5s provide way more drive than K2.1, K2.1 loosen up the board dramatically, sometimes too much.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:08 pm

moreorless wrote:Larger outer fins and a smaller centre fin generally works for me.
2nded

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 am

Yep... fins have made a huge difference and transformed at least one board for me. I have used mostly FCS, but also have Speeedfins in another board and have messed around with different materials. Also had AFS in an older board... anyone remember this extinct removable fin system from the early 90's?

I mostly surf TC Whitelines, TC Aqualines, the original H-2's, FG3 / 5, or PC-3's... but have tried most of the (extinct) Carbon Lite series including the YU's, AM's and TC Redlines. I have a set of CR-V's with a G-5 center in my 8'2 and I love 'em! Also surfed all the older composite FCS fins heaps, tried Occy's ( too dead ), K2.1's ( OK but not for me ), GP-R's, G-YU's, G-AM's. I'd love to see FCS put out a Performance core G-YU... that'd be a great fin I reckon.

I am pretty much done with the FCS Glass Flex fins... I can't get 'em to go at all. Most of my boards are around 6' or just under, and here I tend to surf fishy shortboards ( 19"+ wide ) and more standard shortboards elsewhere. Any fin deeper than about 117mm is too stiff for me. I have never tried K3's... for some reason I just don't think they'g go all that well for me. Have seen guys my size / weight that love 'em though... but they are usually 20 years younger! :roll:

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:19 pm

I mostly surf TC Whitelines, TC Aqualines, the original H-2's, FG3 / 5, or PC-3's... but have tried most of the (extinct) Carbon Lite series including the YU's, AM's and TC Redlines. I have a set of CR-V's with a G-5 center in my 8'2 and I love 'em! Also surfed all the older composite FCS fins heaps, tried Occy's ( too dead ), K2.1's ( OK but not for me ), GP-R's, G-YU's, G-AM's. I'd love to see FCS put out a Performance core G-YU... that'd be a great fin I reckon.
Jeez you're a bit of a fin Slut Dug. :lol:

It makes my continual reliance on FCS PC 5's seem boring.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I tend to make an educated guess for the board then change if needed till the set is dialled into the board...then leave 'em.

Tend to gravitate toward lighter highly foiled glass (ie Soar) or hex/glass fins or (with Futures) the carbon moulds.

In boards I ride a lot right now there's AB1 and AB2s, a custom K3 ripoff set (very slight increase in area through the middle), Soar Fanning template front set with G3 hand-sanded back fin, RedX X2 80/20 foil with X1 back fin (these fins are sick beyond belief), Futures Vector 2 Blackstiks, Raptor G3 ripoffs, and AM-2 hexalite moulds.

Always trying to think smaller with fins but unlike some of my looney beachmates, I haven't decided to entirely do without.

wambie ripper
Grommet

Post by wambie ripper » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:13 pm

i currently ride a set of PC-3's on my 6'0 shorty

do you think if I put in a PC-7 in the centre, it would stabilise my board more when surfing a powerful 6ft wave? or would i be better off just leaving in the ol PC-3's.

Its just that ive heard that bigger fins give you more hold in bigger waves and are interested in trying out in a practical situation.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Yeh well I hear FCS are bringing out a new Derek signature set of fins.

They are much cheaper than other signature sets coz you only have to pay for the packaging.

DucksNuts
regular

Post by DucksNuts » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:08 pm

Natho wrote:Yeh well I hear FCS are bringing out a new Derek signature set of fins.

They are much cheaper than other signature sets coz you only have to pay for the packaging.
:lol: :lol: :lol: thats gold

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Chong wrote:Jeez you're a bit of a fin Slut Dug. :lol:
heh heh, I wouldn't be such a slut if I was paying full retail price ( or paying at all ). 8)

Natho... is that like the Sunny's... I mean surely they should be exempt from GST? 8)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:31 pm

No dUg, it was my stupid attempt at a joke in relation to Nick's mate Derek Hynd. Im sure Nick will get it. I hope.

You see Derek (for some stupid reason) likes to surf without fins. He likes to spin around until he gets dizzy. Kinda like what we all used to do as kids for a quick high.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:57 pm

heh heh, I wouldn't be such a slut if I was paying full retail price ( or paying at all ).
I need to develop some surf industry connections to "broaden" my fin experimentation!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:31 pm

wambie ripper wrote:i currently ride a set of PC-3's on my 6'0 shorty

do you think if I put in a PC-7 in the centre, it would stabilise my board more when surfing a powerful 6ft wave? or would i be better off just leaving in the ol PC-3's.

Its just that ive heard that bigger fins give you more hold in bigger waves and are interested in trying out in a practical situation.
you can give it a go...but in my personal experience, the fin won't do what the board won't do.

maybe a 6'0" shorty isn't the best craft for solid 6' surf.