Why so much HATE towards bodyboarders?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

Why so much HATE towards bodyboarders?

Post by marcus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Just wondering if anyone can answer this simple question for me.
Been wondering it for years now.
Some shortboarders have an intense hate for bodyboarders.
most bodyboarders will be familiar with calls of "f#ck off" from the lineup as they make they’re way to the jump off point on the rocks, only to have the brave people in the water go quiet when your sitting next to them.
Some will be familiar with rocks thrown, tyres let down, windscreens waxed... etc etc.

Just wondering why?
Why the hate?

I paddled out Dudley Bluff today with a local that lives up the street, he had his indo gun and I rode a bodyboard. The only boards we had left and on us.
Get back to the car and im guessing the nice man with a helmet and poo stance has let down the tyres and written go home, fu@k off lids...

Thing is, Marty lives up the road, and we were going to go home but the tyres were flat.

He felt embarrassed to be a shortboarder and Dudley bluff local, I told him that’s what we get pretty much every day. Marty and I surf together all over the joint and he is really improving his barrel riding, especially after he came back from G land and some trips down the coast.

Walking around with a bodyboard near shortboarders, you get a paranoia that they think you’re worse than some Gay aids ridden line dancer.
They have this HATE, you can feel it...

But why?

Marty and I were hitting the surf as the reef was going low tide and everyone was coming in... So we weren’t dropping in on anyone.
Marty was getting some unreal dry reef barrels, unlike Mr poostance helmet man that was out as we got there.

my brother has had similar experiences staying in sumatra for 5-6 months this year travelling with 2 surfboards and a bodyboard.

any of you haters out there got a reason for this deep seated hatred?

don’t tell me about kids in mum’s car flooding a surf spot like pipe; everyone hates that, lids included.
why hate someone because they ride a different piece of surf craft?
some realsurf posters have even said they won’t rest until at least one of the bodyboarders on here takes up "surfing"
is there a reason it is so important to you?
why does it mean so much?
why get angry if someone is riding an empty surf spot on a different piece of equipment?

I just dont get it

anyway mr poostance should be happy, Marty, myself and heap of bodyboarders are going to start surfing the joint on shortboards and mals whenever these guys are out, we will be poo stancing and falling off just like Mr local, but it will be ok because we will be Real proper surfers.
I hope he enjoys company.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:02 pm

They hate bodyboarders because of they think that doing so will make them part of the surfing ilk. A rite of passage, sort of. If they do it, it shows the others that they are in. Its a superiority thing. And if you dehumanize someone or somegroup its easier to hate them. Its worked before.

Watch all the haters come out of the woodworks in this thread, whinning and carrying on. :lol:

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Its easier to write off an entire group than to judge each individual.
Most of us like to think we're open minded, but generalizations are easy to fall back on.
There's plenty of hate out there, and this is one of its unfortunate outlets.

I fall into the same trap surfing in Indo, and have to keep shrugging it off.
- you're out predawn surfing a break with just yourself and a couple of mates, then 3 other blokes paddle out on sunrise, and its too easy to go into redneck mode and think 'youse guys ruined our surf'. Then 10 more follow, and its easy to fall into a bad funk as the crowd morphs from taking turns to free-for-all. Expand this to 20 years of surfing with ever increasing crowds, and there's plenty of bitterness out there, that latches onto any sign of difference.

But your poo stance revenge won't do anything to make you feel better about it, even in jest.

I know only a couple of surfers that can shrug off the drop-ins, the cluelessness and the snaking without getting angry - I'm trying to be like them.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:28 pm

Coops@DY wrote:They hate bodyboarders because of they think that doing so will make them part of the surfing ilk. A rite of passage, sort of. If they do it, it shows the others that they are in. Its a superiority thing. And if you dehumanize someone or somegroup its easier to hate them. Its worked before.

Watch all the haters come out of the woodworks in this thread, whinning and carrying on. :lol:
ha, yes, like you said to me in a pm once, they think they are so liberal because they dont discriminate against blacks, gays, soy milk drinkers, etc etc, but boogeyborders... oh thats different.

shit, i drink soy milk, i really am f#cked :D

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:39 pm

I love (female) bodyboarders.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:48 pm

I find myself having to agree with young Bradley.

It is amusing to rock up at a very populated break on different craft and see the different reactions you get. You may be more accepted by one group more than another depending on craft but they wont give you any more waves. They think your okay but theyll still snake you as opposed to not thinking your okay and snaking you.

Consequently I burn everyone regardless because their approval is conditional and worthless. Hope this helps you in your quest for surf satisfaction. 8)

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:24 pm

i know the bluff has some very aggressive surfers there. but the only time i have seen trouble there is when a whole car load turns up, go there on your own you will have no trouble. i had some trouble there as a grom but never go there anymore as it is a bit of a fickel wave. and if im gunna get in the car to get waves i will go more then 5kms away.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:35 pm

marcus I'm kinda surprised by your question. It's a weird and unpleasant issue but not exactly a mystery, though a fair few things are involved.

The Australian surf's a pretty raw environment where a lot of men tend to get out a fair bit of their emotional tension. This tension is often directed along the lines of a primitive social hierarchy, based on superior and inferior status in the lineup.

Surfers see bodyboarders as an inferior "other" thanks to their persistent prone position and need for fins. In Australia, many older surfers also see the bodyboarder's selection of craft and approach as a kind of slur on their own preferred form of surfing -- not in line with classic Australian surfing style.

Many surfers struggle with their own status in the lineup, and actively -- if subconsciously -- look for some sort of common ground with other surfers. "F**ken boogers" looks like common ground.

There's a fair bit of competition for waves at many of the better surf spots, that's a contributing factor, as is the undoubted minority status of bodyboarders -- it's always easier to target a minority.

It's important to know that bodyboarders aren't despised worldwide and that even in Australia -- probably the world's most anti-bodyboarder surf culture -- the disgust and derision is a bit unevenly spread. I think that's kind of a giveaway as to the roots of Booger Hate. You might as well be talking about Jews and Arabs.

southyboys
regular

Post by southyboys » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Cause your all fcuking Fa66ots.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Is that just boogers Southy?
Or everyone on realsurf?
Or everyone who surfs?
Or everyone?

The reason its easy to pick on boogers is because they are fundamentally compromised. Prone and on a pieces of soft rubber with soft fins. Attack on harder fibreglass or composite stand up surfers is potentially dangerous by comparison. Chances are you might hurt yourself in a run in with another shortboarder . A giant heavy mal ridden by your boss or local off duty cop or bank manager is best avoided.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:marcus I'm kinda surprised by your question. It's a weird and unpleasant issue but not exactly a mystery, though a fair few things are involved.

The Australian surf's a pretty raw environment where a lot of men tend to get out a fair bit of their emotional tension. This tension is often directed along the lines of a primitive social hierarchy, based on superior and inferior status in the lineup.

Surfers see bodyboarders as an inferior "other" thanks to their persistent prone position and need for fins. In Australia, many older surfers also see the bodyboarder's selection of craft and approach as a kind of slur on their own preferred form of surfing -- not in line with classic Australian surfing style.

Many surfers struggle with their own status in the lineup, and actively -- if subconsciously -- look for some sort of common ground with other surfers. "F**ken boogers" looks like common ground.

There's a fair bit of competition for waves at many of the better surf spots, that's a contributing factor, as is the undoubted minority status of bodyboarders -- it's always easier to target a minority.

It's important to know that bodyboarders aren't despised worldwide and that even in Australia -- probably the world's most anti-bodyboarder surf culture -- the disgust and derision is a bit unevenly spread. I think that's kind of a giveaway as to the roots of Booger Hate. You might as well be talking about Jews and Arabs.
Thanks guys for your honest answers.
Nick the reason i ask the question is that i have never recieved an answer reflecting any intelect above replies such as Mr southy here. in all the years i have been riding different craft, and asking this question in confronting situations, something so profound an answer has never surpassed "Cause your all fcuking Fa66ots".

and im sure if they had a good reason besides stand up and be counted, we would all jump at the chance to be the chosen god picked children of the ocean, masters of womenfolk, lucky born blonde and hansome real proper surfers with stickers to prove it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:32 pm

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:25 pm

I dont hate boogers, i just think generally they are tossers :lol:

Ive seen em all knock off school and hang around the shoreline like a bunch of p*oftas, paying no attention to the chicks sitting on the rocks with waining interest in what they are doing. They seem to prefer each others company. They all look the same, with there sh*tty haircuts and stuff. And they start running into the water and doing their little flips on their lids in beachbreaks before they go out for a "sesh". I dunno, a chick on a body board is hot. A pimply little grom is not.

While witnessing all this crap going on in the shore line, a little grom came running down the rocks with his short board, waited for a flat spot, jumped into a little a rip that took him straight out the back.....paddle paddle and hes in the line up. This kid would have been pushing 10 years old in some solid swell. The chicks were no longer looking at the booger, they were watching this 10 year old carve it up on a stick. Far more impressive to watch.

Im not saying all body boarders are like this, but a helluva lot seem to be.

I do hate Southy though...... :D

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:42 pm

I am a surfer, but originally started bodyboarding in high school, although growing up in Port Mac makes the choice alot more straightforward.

I still get the lid out for a change every now and again, and instantly notice the difference (or indifference) in the water. Discounting Nobbys Beach, the Newcastle beaches aren't the most bodyboard friendly going around. You could probably partly blame MR's popularity for that one.

That being said, I still hang crap on any mates who bodyboard, but that's what mates are for.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:03 am

Why do dogs lick their balls?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:12 am

It's not hate, it's pity :wink:

Seriously, all due props to that minority of lidders that do the extreme stuff, but the overwhelmingly majority that surf in packs, flap around and get in the way, snake, play that ghey doof doof music really loudly in the carpark, do that stupid dropknee shite, and other assorted lameness, tends to get on peoples goats.

And then when there's a lidding contest on the best bank at curly on a autumn saturday , the bar is raised another metre or so.

domasik

Post by domasik » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:33 am

Just so you know mate, its actually part of Sydney Bodyboard Club's unwritten policy NOT to hold the comp on the best bank of the beach for the day.

The beach is only so long, and they do try to keep the local demographic in mind at all times to ensure there isnt much lost love for the inconvience of running the comp.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:45 am

Obviously having a bit of a knees up.