Phillip Island

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Phillip Island

Post by petulance » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 am

I think there is an opportunity to link up with Groots to set up Frankston's first Thermomix store.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

porko

Post by porko » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:36 am

The only thing you can by at summerlands is an over priced stuffed penguin.
All houses gone and its all nature park

Cheap housing at sunset and Wimbledon heights.

Can still get a dunger at wooli for around 250k and the capital gain if you need to sell has a lot more potential than the other 2.
Don't know if this will be the case in 3-5 years tho.
Just about all blocks in wooli have been built on and folks with cash are starting to buy the dungas to build large Mc mansion holiday homes.
Plenty of 4wd BMWs appearing on the rock now.

Got spare cash get a dunga at wooli now and rent it till your ready.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Cheers porko. It's all sounding viable (warts and all)
Plan to check it again in a few months time . Spend a couple weeks there mid winter to get a feel for it. Sounds like a green light so far.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 pm

You doing this solo Iggs, or dragging a family along with you? I do recall mention of a marriage at some stage so if it is the latter, remember where Braithy's family adventures have left him.

You have been warned...

porko

Post by porko » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Hatchet
Another piece of info for you particularly if you are taking family.
Everybody knows your business.
I assume this is world wide in semi isolated communities but islanders have it down to art form.

I mucked up in the pub one Friday night (not bad just pissed) .
Saturday morning 7.30 am I went to the general for milk and a paper and the bloke behind the jump already knew about it and he wasn't at the pub.
Just one example of many

its like they know about what you are up to 15 minutes before you start.

Also you are not a local unless you have 3 generations in the cemetery.

If you have lived in a smaller community I guess this will be no issue but it comes as a shock to some folks from large cities.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:37 pm

If I go the wife will be joining.

As for the issue of insular sticky beaks, what say I associate with none of them and give it the googley-eyed Martin Bryant treatment for the all and sundry?

I'm guessing there has to be at least a few people on the island worthy of hanging out with ?
Sniff wrote:

porko

Post by porko » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm

the bryant approach might be a mistake
maybe mistaken as a relative

for sure you will find like minded people just what the rest

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

petulance wrote:I think there is an opportunity to link up with Groots to set up Frankston's first Thermomix store.
3-) If he's up for it I'm there!

No shit iggs you're planning to actually spend time in the south for while? Good thing you're not phased by the cold mate, get ready to surf waves with plenty of power too. 4ft Victoria = 6ft NSW = 8ft SE QLD :-D-:

Work wise the travel could be a stretch, remember it's the same road into PI as the same road out and its a single lane dual carriageway too. My opinion for what it is worth would be to think about finding a place maybe somewhere not 20/30 minutes drive from Woolamai. You'll have a better time getting to work, will be in easy distance to PI, Inverloch and even my neck of the woods on the Peninsula
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 am

Thanks for all ur insight so far porko.

Groots. I know about the surf down there. In '96 I lived in melb. Did a stack of surfing on PI and MP. As for living "better for traffic" and further from surf, it kinda defeats the purpose. The whole gig will be about living very close to the beach. So if I make the move it will be with all chips on the table.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 am

Of course the main draw at PI is the Fairy Penguin colony. You should see about getting a seasons ticket. :-)( :-)(
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

rmb
barnacle

Re:

Post by rmb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:26 am

Ringmaster wrote:
*Nearly forgot.............

...........i'ts not called 'blokes island' for nothing and the local boys are a pretty motley crew. Still got a couple of mates over there I keep in touch with.........
Blokes island its not called that for nothing rumour has it that it is a hub for Homosexual Men in coastal Victoria and lot's of trend setting latte sipping hipster's are moving their to cash in with niche cafe's. Hell they don't call those ***'s Fairy Penguins for nothing now do they.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 am

There you go hatchy. Get the barista skills to work and it will be mocha frappachinos all round with a baby chino for the poodle.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48 am

well i'd rather hang around mincy cafe latte types than a gaggle of one-eyed mouth-breathers sticking their beaks into your business.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:03 am

Hatchnam wrote:well i'd rather hang around mincy cafe latte types than a gaggle of one-eyed mouth-breathers sticking their beaks into your business.
Youll probably get both at no extra charge :B
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

porko

Post by porko » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 am

Surf beach is the address of choice for your shirt lifters and beaver eaters.

Seems to be an equal measure of both.

Don't bother me none

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:54 pm

I grew up on the island in 80-90s then lived on the east coast for about ten years before moving back about 5 years back because basically i wanted to be able to live/buy a few minutes from the beach and i couldn't afford to anywhere on the east coast that had a population big enough to have work, or close enough to a city just incase work wise.

A few things should be noted, one things have changed here big time, once it really was bloke rock because outside of summer there was no females and the place was like a ghost town, now its like anywhere else decent about of females and the areas is more young coupleville than bloke rock and winters aren't dead like they once were.

The flipside is I use to know who was local in the water even if i wasn't friend with them and crowds were pretty low except on weekends and holidays, now I have no idea who's local and who's not and like lots of other places it gets real crowded even on weekdays and lots of places i dont even bother surfing anymore like right pt, flynns etc, last Sunday right point was said to be as good as it gets (which is ok but not epic) and rumour was there was almost a hundred guys out.

Personally I only surf the beachies these days because the crowd is spread out and the waves change so much with the tide so you can time uncrowded windows, the rips also help by pulling the crowd to deep etc.

Heres the positives and negatives wave wise of the island.

Negatives

-Solid groundswells with W-NW, yes the two hollow heavy reefs can be good but one needs very high tides, the other is short with a dedicated local crew, apart from these places options for quality waves are very limited, while over on the west coast the whole places can be firing or atleast lots of options, even the peninsula has better options in these conditions especially on big swells.

-Mid size swells, sometimes we get perfect swells that close the beachies out but aren't big enough for anywhere else, again often with a N-NW wind, very frustrating.

-Every break is very tidal even the beachies.

-Unless your into heavy hollow reefs, we honestly never get pumping days like lots of other places ive lived, we dont have those kind of waves that epic that suit not only good surfers but intermediate surfers.

Positives

-Summer-Autum, on smaller beachie sized swells especially with SE-E winds the west coast is pussville for months, while we get consistent fun waves.

-Bigger swells with S-E winds still provide offshore waves, although normally very crowded.

-We do have lots of breaks that work in a variety of conditions and the fact Woolys gets a lot of swell and we have breaks that handle SE a pretty consistent wind at certain times it makes it pretty consistent area for a rideable wave.(but not pumping waves)

PS. Papas i think is what some people call mamas the wave that right that breaks of the pt at YCW, actually gets a bit of swell, but its not really a proper wave, lines up great then goes so to fat to even do cutbacks, would be a perfect set up for an artificial reef with a bit of tinkering as is fairly protected in winter W-NW winds.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the time and detail u have put into that , appreciate it.
Yep, so there's good and bad to it. That's cool. I can deal with it. Even onshore winds I can cope with if there's a bowl section or run here and there.

Consistent swell and cheap house near the beach. It's all sounding a win so far.
Sniff wrote:

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:47 am

love your positive thinking iggy mate you're an inspiration!