How FRIGGIN COLD is it at the moment!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

How FRIGGIN COLD is it at the moment!!

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:15 am

Global warming my hairy, pasty white arz it is absolutely freezing at the moment down here at the moment.

First duck dive of the morning on Sunday gave me a brain freeze so bad snot started pouring out of my nose as soon as I surfaced!!

I think I need to get a hood - can anyone recommend a good brand?

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 am

Good question - one I have pondered for some time - apparently we loose 65 per cent of body heat through our head hence natures gift of hair on the scone.
And in colder climes a hat is essential to brave and survive the elements (e. g.Think fur headed Russian cosacks running around on the perma frost or even a beanie for a weekend down at Thredbo ).

I remember the bliss the first time I borrowed a mate's steamer after always having used a springy through the cold months - the cold water didn't steal the heat...and I could stay out all day.bliss :D

Beats me why "Quick lets rip 40pieces of Silver" havent had there marketing bitches throwing a rainforest full of paper at us to," create this need" in the surfers' kitbag of ever expanding must haves.

8)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:36 am

moondoggie wrote:Beats me why "Quick lets rip 40pieces of Silver" havent had there marketing bitches throwing a rainforest full of paper at us to," create this need" in the surfers' kitbag of ever expanding must haves. 8)
Im sure they are right now moondoggie.

Glad to hear that others out there are feeling the cold. I was out last week and a few surfers were complaining about how cold the water was. I was Ok, but I have made a real effort to 'harden the frock up' this year after a couple of quieter winters.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:40 am

Westernport Bay down here is dipping below 10 degrees, the ocean beaches are a bit warmer but I think it is colder this year than the last few.

After two hours out there I couldn't get to my feet as my legs were locking up due to the cold!

newman

Post by newman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:25 pm

I was down at Coalcliff with a thermometer on the weekend.

The water in the ocean was 15.2 degrees and the creek at the south end, was 12.1 degrees.

Thats pretty cold for that part of the world.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Would you believe I saw a surfer out at Queensie on Sunday with only boardies on :lol: he wasn't out for long.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:19 pm

iggy wrote:
salty wrote:It must be cold... Iggy was in a wettie on Saturday :shock:
not Sunday but :lol:
What was wrong Iggy! Not tough enough to put your wet wettie on! :P :P :P :P :lol:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:21 pm

My condolences H-Man, around 10 degrees is hypothermia stuff, even with a wetsuit.

I've been finding the pads of my feet have been going numb after about an hour and a half, which is sort of annoying as it doesn't help your surfing.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 pm

oldman wrote:
iggy wrote:
What was wrong Iggy! Not tough enough to put your wet wettie on! :P :P :P :P :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I noticed that in your Saturday pics salty and was gonna say something but then thought iggy may be wearing a black rashie ....

I thought Sat arvo was pretty cold but Sunday morning was a forehead killer ... this morning was fine because it was so small I pretty much walked out with out having to duck under ... apparently 16.5 in the water but the air was was good this morn ...

damned if I know how you manage down there hatchman .... :shock:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Ringmaster wrote:The water temp. down here is about 13.5 degrees (which is cold enough) and down the other side of the Cape about 12.5. It never gets as low as 10 in Vic......possibly that cold on the S/W coast of Tassie.

Apart from having to wear booties for a cupla months of the year (July/August) I welcome the cold as a pretty good crowd deterrant......especially for dawnies...............
You'd think but it is getting pretty low at the moment...

vb
Local

Post by vb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:55 pm

If that chart's fair dinkum, kiss the inter-glacial period goodbye.

southyboys
regular

Post by southyboys » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:02 pm

iggy wrote:
WOW if you arent wearing a wetsuit in these conditions
i praise you highly and respectly you deeply
seriously though like it really seperates the hard guys.
you must get cold but?
do you?

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:55 pm

wondered why i always felt chilly when i surfed there!

what graph were you looking on for that temp? the chart didnt show up on my computer

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:08 pm

I remeber having nads before I went out (no not gotten married)

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm

I don't understand all the macho appreciation of surfers not wearing booties, or surfing in 12 degree water until everything is numb and stiff, or praising blokes who cope with winter in only boardies and and a vest.
UTTER CRAP!!
Once leg muscles get a bit too cold, nobody can surf very well: reactions are off, contracting and extending are more difficult, high-risk turns above the lip are mistimed etc. Good surfing requires warm flexible muscles. Bozos chilled-to-the-bone doing stiff-legged turns are ... bozos. Deliberately putting up with a cold body in winter is plain dumb.

It's 16 degree water in Seedknee at the moment and I'm hating it. And the missus ain't impressed either with me frozen bits after the early!

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:19 pm

salty wrote:^^I've been wearing low-cut reef booties this winter.
with kitten heels no doubt. :lol:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:01 pm

iggy wrote:nothing hard nor tough about it...
respect, praise etc... not due...
i just don't feel the effects of cold as much as most other people...
plus i hate wetsuits regardless of how well they fit...
From having met you I got no impression that there was any act or bravado involved.

I'd certainly be happy about it if I was like that. Me, I don't mind the feeling of a steamer. Spring suits etc are less comfortable. Just getting the bloody steamers on and off is a pain though. Such a bloody rigmarole.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:06 am

oldman wrote:
iggy wrote:nothing hard nor tough about it...
respect, praise etc... not due...
i just don't feel the effects of cold as much as most other people...
plus i hate wetsuits regardless of how well they fit...
From having met you I got no impression that there was any act or bravado involved.

I'd certainly be happy about it if I was like that. Me, I don't mind the feeling of a steamer. Spring suits etc are less comfortable. Just getting the bloody steamers on and off is a pain though. Such a bloody rigmarole.
I must be a bit like Iggy in the personal body warmth department. (in great demand for the ladies, eh Ig?). When I first moved to Seedney I would be out in winter in my Qld issue spring suit and there'd be kids around me in the lineup shivering in their steamers. Eventually I bought one because I was losing feeling in my hands after an hour or so on cold windy mornings (almost always surfed at fiirst light). The one I have now is pretty light construction, so no apparent restriction of movement or difficulty paddling and because I'm back home in Qld and surfing more and longer I find I still use it in winter as a hedge against the sun on my battered old skin.
Also, because I keep banging my toes on things I tried a pair of booties (Wus booties my daughter calls them). With good advice from the surf shop guy I surf with, I bought the tightest fit I could and was surfprised to find I adapted to them without any real problems - just had to remember to lift my feet marginally more when moving around on the board - got caught up once or twice. The beauty is I can access the water over the rocks easier and even come back in that way.
Gonna be interesting come summer - boardies, rashie ----- and booties :lol: