How FRIGGIN COLD is it at the moment!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:51 am

Yesterday morning I got the first cramp in the surf I've had in years, despite going massive this season and buying the warmest steamer I've ever had.
My entire right calf went into spasm, had to catch one in with the full pegleg Pete stance on the tailpad.
Guess thats why we don't see too many club footed surfers about.
It felt kind of nice this morning snuggled up in bed knowing my local would be maxed out 8)

Beerfan

cold

Post by Beerfan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 am

I brushed ice off the windscreen this morning. Despite this i wasn't too uncomfortable in my springy. I think last week the water was much colder. I had trouble feeling my feet and hands when i got out though. Can only get warmer from here on in though, so its good news. If the waves were decent i would've stayed out longer for sure

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
newman wrote:This morning in the wind was one of the coldest surfs I have had in years.
I feel your pain, mate :!:

Must be freezing up there right now.................. :roll:
ringer's ... I have surfed down there in winter and can certainly appreciate you're situation and determination ... however this week in sydney has been our coldest water and air combo , and this morning was a head cracker ... I realise that in comparison we sydney siders would probably run for our blankey's on sticking our big toes in your water but I guess it comes back to what you have come accustom to ... this morning I was discussing with another bloke just after paddling out that the water felt warm because the air was so cold , and the water is supposed to be 16 ...
I went out on Thursday mid morning. Full on offshore breeze with icicles in it. Water cold also. Talked to a guy who was just coming in who said it was nice but he couldn't surf anymore 'cause he couldn't feel his feet.

So I thought I was going OK, and I stayed out about an hour and a half, but it took its toll. I just couldn't talk myself into going out on Friday. Sad to admit, I know, but true.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Last winter was my first sunny coast winter. I got through with shorts and a long sleeve wetty top. On the odd occasion I'd put the wetty top underneath my short john.

I just surfed Trev's local (with Trev) with a wetty top and short john. Long story short; I think I'm going to have to buy a steamer :cry:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 am

rightbrainpositive wrote:Last winter was my first sunny coast winter. I got through with shorts and a long sleeve wetty top. On the odd occasion I'd put the wetty top underneath my short john.

I just surfed Trev's local (with Trev) with a wetty top and short john. Long story short; I think I'm going to have to buy a steamer :cry:
Yeah. I did think it was pretty brave of you. However, they tell me this is the coldest winter we've had in years. And the water's cold. Even in Sydney at the Bower I'd last almost two hours before my fingers went numb. The last week or so up here, i've been losing feeling in my fingers inside an hour.
Yeah Yeah. I know I'm getting old :oops:
And my steamer is falling apart at the seems. Trying to get through to next year without replacing it. :roll:
ps. Felix. mid morning this morning - smaller but more consistent and working right through to the beach. But doubt there'll be much there by this afternoon.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:12 pm

the BOM says that it was 4.2 deg C at 6.30am on the northern beaches this morning, and I assume that it was a little colder at 6.15 standing on the beach about to paddle out ... the BOM also says that the water is 15.6 deg C .... when I entered the water it was a relief and I actually felt warmer ... but surfacing after the first duckdive was a most unpleasent experience ... my head still hurts ... :?

cs
regular

Post by cs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:02 pm

My feet were like ice blocks by the time i ran across the sand this morning...
Wasn't till my 4th wave that i could fell 'em!

I've only got reef booties, but seriously thinking of wearing them tomorrow, just for crossing the sand...

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:41 pm

I paddled out at curly at 6.10am. Thermometer in car said 4 degrees.
Water was cold but tried to keep hand and feet in water as much as possible because it was heaps warmer than the air.
Drove 500m home in wet wetsuit so i could jump straight in hot shower.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:10 pm

I walked 750m home this morning after surfing and could barely work the house keys.

The ski industry must be soooo happy with this winter though.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:56 pm

barstardos wrote:I paddled out at curly at 6.10am. Thermometer in car said 4 degrees..
I was a few beaches north of you and 5 minutes later which would account for the 0.2 deg C differential ... I glad I didn't head down south to curly

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Maybe youse all know this already ...
But it's because of an eddy

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2007/s1870889.htm

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:19 am

But it's because of an eddy
Mcguire?

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 am

Much warmer this morning - 7 degrees at 6.10!! But how good was the sunrise?
Alby - I dont think that eddy is still a feature. That story was from march. Looking at the Sea Surface temps it looks like a fairly common late winter pattern where the East Aust Current has weakened and is well offshore. Coastal waters south of seal rocks are all 15-16 deg as colder waters are drawn in when the EAC is not pumping warmer waters on to our coast.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 am

barstardos wrote:Much warmer this morning - 7 degrees at 6.10!! But how good was the sunrise?
Alby - I dont think that eddy is still a feature. That story was from march. Looking at the Sea Surface temps it looks like a fairly common late winter pattern where the East Aust Current has weakened and is well offshore. Coastal waters south of seal rocks are all 15-16 deg as colder waters are drawn in when the EAC is not pumping warmer waters on to our coast.
I'm an idiot! Didn't think about the dates! So this is just a standard 'blip' rather than something really unusual(?) It still seems like one of the longest stretches of cold temp water in Seedknee I can remember.

don.weather
regular

Re: cold

Post by don.weather » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Beerfan wrote:Can only get warmer from here on in though, so its good news.
Air temp yes...water temp nope. Coldest water temp months are generally around Sept/Oct.........

http://www.bom.gov.au/nmoc/archives/SST/

Pick say July August in any year and then compare to say Sept October in the same year. Historically, the water temperatures lag the seasons by around 2 months or so.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 pm

don.weather wrote:Pick say July August in any year and then compare to say Sept October in the same year. Historically, the water temperatures lag the seasons by around 2 months or so.
The fact that you are correct gives you no right to burst our hopeful bubbles here don.w.

Surely the water won't get colder.

don.weather
regular

Post by don.weather » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:37 pm

oldman wrote:The fact that you are correct gives you no right to burst our hopeful bubbles here don.w.

Surely the water won't get colder.
Hey, I'm just indicating past performance...perhaps global warming will change all this in the future?

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Don's right oldman :wink: