booties for girls

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

betty boop
regular

booties for girls

Post by betty boop » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:57 pm

Does anyone know of a good winter bootie for girls.

I have tried on most of the men's brands; o'neil, billabong, quicksilver, peak, and the size 7 (US) mens is too wide and fat, and a bit short, too. The size 8 is like clown shoes on me.

Roxy is the only potential bootie with a narrower women's cut that I have heard about, but of course i would have to order it, sight unseen.

Any pretty boys with pretty feet who have any helpful advice would be welcome.

Ugly boys' advice also appreciated.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:38 pm

This what you mean?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:48 am

I'm inclined to agree with ringer, for different reasons. I just found that they weren't a good fit for men either, they filled with water anyway so when you went to stand up you were lugging a few extra kilos of weight in your feet.

I ultimately decided that they weren't worth it either. My feet have been very cold over the last few weeks of surfing but I haven't been tempted.

But I think they would be helpful in those sharp reef situations, which tend to be in warmer waters, of course..

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:51 am

booties for girls
Yes, yes they are.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:46 pm

oldman wrote:But I think they would be helpful in those sharp reef situations, which tend to be in warmer waters, of course..
Hmm, is this a can of worms just about to be cracked open :twisted:

And I wear booties at the moment when surfing in the morning but you have to get a size smaller than your regular shoe size so that when you get in the water and a little bit of water gets in they are still snug.

So when trying them on make sure they are tight and hard to get into.

It takes a few sessions to get used to the extra grip and reluctance of you feet to move on your board with booties but once your used to them and learn how to move your feet they come in handy. Especially on those late fast drops as they lock you in straight from the start :wink:

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

The size which isn't too loose around the arch is a bit too short for my big toe.

I have bought some O'Neil booties which are an improvement on painfully cold bare feet after half an hour. Unfortunately, they are making my big toe numb.

Oh well, maybe i can do some foot building exercises, and get a longer pair. :lol:

See ya round.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:54 am

i wore an oldschool pair of booties in bali, when it first got big, just to get to know the wave (and the bottom :oops:).
You get used to them after a few surfs, but as soon as you get out of them, your surfing gets so much better you will wonder why you ever wore them!

I have the worst wetty imangineable (no seals etc), and i never seem to feel the cold, because after the agony of going under my body seems to adjust a lot better than that of my mate, who has a ripcurl fbomb, and always talks about how cold it is..

so next season.
Save money on booties and a wetsuit and buy a piece of shit!

p.s I am not liable for any claims of hypothermia.
My username may live up to itself

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Ringmaster wrote:OK Betty....I'll be serious..........

I've got a pair of quiksilver booties that are about as close to bare feet as you'll get but keep my feet warm in the middle of winter down here.

They've got a semi soft sole so you still maintain that sensitive board contact and also a semi split toe (about 5 mil) which eliminates numb toe but still with a tight fit. They have a small strap you pull across the top of your foot and stick with velcro and another at the top of the boot that you wrap around once and fasten it. This makes them virtually free of water and they are as tight as a fishes arse without being uncomfortable.

Shoulda told ya that the 1st time round and saved ya $50 :oops:
I did try the Quicksilver boots but they were much too wide for my foot. You could pinch off more than a centimetre of boot at the top of the arch without even stretching the neoprene. The salesman therre thought that perhaps the Roxy boots might be a narrower cut but the sizing is different for girls. Anyway, thanks .