Lending boards

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

Lending boards

Post by Dingus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:36 am

I write this as my favourite board is sitting outside waiting for the resin on a couple dings to dry. Stripped back the wax and found a couple more on the deck, the sun is currently drying them out as well. All this because I lent the board to a friend while I was away.

Should I have been a nice guy and lent it? It, now stupidly, was my idea so I can't complain too much. But the bugger knew how much I love that board, so to shove it into a garage space a couple mil shorter than the actual board and apparently put things on top of it was not a bright idea.

My point here is not to bitch, but to see what rules and allowances you extend to friends and your boards. Only old boards, never the favourites or brand newies (dingoshred)? Only when you are with the board and the mate? Free for all, no problems sharing, even if it snaps?

Where's the line in the sand?

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:18 am

Dae wrote:Only old boards, never the favourites or brand newies
that's my rule ... and only ever an all rounder because there is always the all rounder that you previously came off laying around ...

I only ever borrow off, and lend boards with my brother and it's only because of damage down time or back-up's for trip's ... and we have an unwritten law of honesty about any accidental damage and "you ding you fix it / pay for it" .... yet I do most of the ding fixes in our family anyway ... :?

I have the luxury of having a brother who rides similar boards and always has a spare or two hanging about ... beyond that I don't borrow, but I have bought a second hand boards cheap from my shaper after he has returned from a trip, and had them purely as back-up's for my trip ... then I just sell it when I get home ...

I have lent boards occasionally to someone in need but only ever an oldie and only if there is a defined time frame ....

there does need to be your own personal line in the sand ...

I never lend my mower .... I did once and ... well, trust me, you don't want to know .... :wink:

Beerfan

lending

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 am

When board "swapping" in the surf, im so cautious and careful with other people's boards its not funny. I'd hate to ding someones board, even though i could fix it that's not the point. Im not too worried about my boards coz they're home made, and a little um... rough around the edges, so a ding here and there doesnt worry me.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 am

I lend and swap boards all the time, no dramas yet...I get a buzz seeing someone enjoy one of my boards especially if I shaped it...also good to ride others too...the AquaBat is being lent to about 40 guys and I am sure there will be some damage eventually, I have told all and written on the diary that whoever has it when the damage occurs is responsible for repairing asap...if they dont ,they will be embarrassed for all to see on this forum ha ha ha ....

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm usually a bit paranoid about lending my boards out when I'm not around, but if I'm out surfing with a mate or whatever & I've got a spare board in the car it's pretty much anything goes,

Thankfully had no dramas thus far,

On another note two of my boards (I use the term "my" loosely) come from mates who lent me the board either as a learner or to see if I wanted to buy it & haven't wanted it back, and before you say anything yes I offered them back on numerous occasions & offered to pay or whatever, but nope they don't want them back.
In that instance I just use the old rule, if they need it they've got it, I won't sell them or anything just in case

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:06 pm

I like sharing boards with my mates when I'm out there surfing with them. I wouldn't be inclined to just leave a board with someone for a period, but swapping and lending is no skin off my nose.

Had a fun surf with a mate one time with a heavy little 4 - 5 foot wave breaking reasonably close to shore. We swapped boards and later on I had had enough and went to the beach to wait for a few minutes till he came in.

A bigger one comes in and he takes off and gets a little ride before being smashed. I'm sitting on the beach laughing at him and the foam came right up the beach to where I was sitting. The foam eventually dissipates to reveal, ahem, half a surfboard, right at my feet. As we were the only surfers within cooee, it was a fair assumption that it was half of my surfboard.

He later came up the beach with the leg rope attached to the other half, looking very sheepish indeed. We laughed a lot about that one.

I didn't ask him for any money, but he did offer to put a few bucks towards a replacement, which I think I took some months later.

From the lender's point of view, if you can't lend the surfboard without reservation and be fully aware of and prepared to accept a broken board in return, then don't lend it.

I would never hold a friendship to be worth less than the cost of a board. If the person isn't a friend then maybe you shouldn't lend it.

Or maybe you could be really big about it and let karma look after it. Be a bit geneorous of spirit and instead of counting the dollars, consider that karma owes you and will find a way to get it back to you.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Oldman, you seem to be a man of profound wisdom and well versed in general life etiquette, would love to hear your thoughts on this topic:

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14441

Perhaps on the other thread so we dont hi-jack this one?

As for this topic.....I think any respectable man who clearly damaged a freinds board should be good enough to pay for the damages. This is somthing you might weigh up about the "lendee" before lending anything to him. If its not in his character to repay you, then dont lend it.

But I am a bit of nice guy (or just an idiot :lol: ) and tend to lend stuff to people and think that one day maybe the same gesture will be done to me. A bit of generosity in this day and age goes a long way. I think just lend him the board....if it snaps im sure it wont be the end of the world and it will be sorted out.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Loaning anything should be the same approach every time. When you lend/loan it, say goodbye to it as though you will never see it again. If it comes back, it comes back. Don't loan anything out to someone who has previously not returned something you loaned, otherwise you are as guilty as he is.

If you can't get your head around that you probably shouldn't loan anything out. It does your head in otherwise. It used to do my head in when people didn't return things. I mean it really did my head in. Eventually I decided that I had to get over it, and I decided that I still wanted to be generous, so I worked on the other side of the problem, which was me.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:48 pm

I lent an old inherited, beat up board, and when it came back, couldn't pin it, just seemed more beat, like banging around loosein the back of a van :shock: did'n feel right :( and it did b4 felt like fun it was :D
oldman wrote:Loaning anything should be the same approach every time. When you lend/loan it, say goodbye to it as though you will never see it again. If it comes back, it comes back.

decided that I still wanted to be generous, so I worked on the other side of the problem, which was me.
:idea:
Surfin Turf wrote:
Dae wrote:Only old boards, never the favourites or brand newies
that's my rule ... and only ever an all rounder because there is always the all rounder that you previously came off laying around ...

I have lent boards occasionally to someone in need but only ever an oldie and only if there is a defined time frame ....

there does need to be your own personal line in the sand ...

I never lend my mower .... I did once and ... well, trust me, you don't want to know .... :wink:
Howzabout your lawn corer, I have 2sqm of dirt, and do I waters it in winter :?:
Last edited by daryl on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 pm

borrowed a board one nice day this year .. had run out .. 2nd wave snapped it .. borrowed another one from someone else. :lol:

miami13

Post by miami13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:01 pm

After tearing my ACL and having an operation to fix it the doctor told me to start back on a Mal and take time to get the strength back in the knee before going back down to a shortboard. As i always had surfed shortboards and as it was only to be for a short time i didnt want to spend the $$$ on a mal so i convinced my father in law to lend me one of his. Abouit the 5th surf i snapped it clean in the middle and it was the board he had won 3 australian longboard titles on. He was not happy. I ended up swapping him a brand new rusty fish for it and it cost me $150 to get fixed but just doesnt surf the same. I think the break it buy it rule is fair.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Ringmaster wrote:Just how good a friend is this bloke, Dae :?:

I know the crew I surf with would never do that. Board would come back repaired in a cupla days (probably with a 6 pack) :D

I'd seriously re-evaluate your relationship with him if I were you :?

The situation slipped through at a difficult time unfortunately. I had just returned that day from Morocco and still pretty sick with one decent meal in 5 days in me. He was staying a couple streets away and about to take off for another country for good. He's an ex-lifeguard without a full appreciation of the fragility of surfboards. He claimed innocence, and since he was staying at someone else's house with others who could potentially have done it and at the time I was too crook and really wanted to get back on my back to press the issue at the time. He left after that, probably will not see him for a year or two at least so the story runs dry at this time. I know him through his girlfriend, who is one of the finest people I've ever met, so really I guess he's had his chance borrowing gear and blew it.

The board, Superboard, has a personality of its own and tries to spear people it doesn't like. Me thinketh that Superboard will sort the issue out at the next convenience.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Dae wrote:[ He's an ex-lifeguard without a full appreciation of the fragility of surfboards. He claimed innocence,.
yeah well....I'D GLASS THE CU.NT

his appreciation of surfboards may well improve with one eyes removal :x

if u borrow a board and ding it....u gotta offer fix it ( ehhhh tiger :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ....i'm mixing a hot batch later this week)

and if u lend a board....it's should be the swap leggie thing in the water...than return too owner in shorebreak ( after seeing them nose dive into a inch of water :lol:

nice style rightbrain :lol: :lol: :lol: )

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Actually, still haven't fixed that ding yet Fongo. Silver tape to the rescue.

The 1st board I ever shaped, lent it to a mate to have a go, he snapped it at 'A certain' bommie. :evil:

Another time I snapped a board, at Werri point of all places :oops: . Lent 1 off a mate next day, snapped it at pipe :oops: :oops: . Lent 1 off another mate couple days later, snapped it at same bommie mentioned earlier in this post :oops: :oops: :oops: .

Had a bad run of luck that week. But sh1t, it was a good week of waves.
Last edited by tiger on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:09 am

I lent my 'backup' lid to a stand-up mate who was heading up the coast to a popular shorey... turns out his car got broken into and my board got flogged, along with his stereo and other items... what are you supposed to do under these circumstances? I just wrote it off as it wasn't his fault, and the poor bloke was now out of pocket for a new door lock, stereo and other bits & bobs...

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:05 am

Luckily I've never dinged a mates board while borrowing it. A mate back home snapped another mates board years ago and he bought a newy straight away that afternoon. Would think that'd be the thing to do--- damage= fix it; snappage= newy.

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:13 am

I agree with Oldman, if you can't be without it..don't lend it!!
Was at a boardriders comp a couple of weeks ago and lent a mate a bigger board to take to Indo for a three week trip. Now I don't know this bloke that well, but he just snapped his gun (that day) and was in need of a bigger board to take in three days, so didn't even really think about it and just offered him the 6'9" which happened to be in the back of the car (as the surf was reasonably big). Everyone was ahh but what if he breaks it...so what boards are boards. Just hope he scores some waves over there and would be special to hear about some great waves on that particular board.