Rip Curl Search- Bali?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:32 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:
Or the thing that really gets me there is the I-speak-indo-so-I’m-a-local tourists.
I just love those types. Wait for them to impress me with their local language skills before I indulge(sometimes weeks later) each Indo(depending on what island they are from) in their local dialect.

Not to impress the locals but to screw with tourist wanka's.

kk
but obviously not to communicate to who your talking to. Youve really got hold of it with both hands there KK.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:17 pm

I can just see you and Wanderbra in Bali.

Fingers covered in cheap Balinese rings.
White singlet with the word “Bali” in fluro rainbow colors across the chest.
Wanderbra of course would be wearing the ubiquitous Bintang label logo singlet (probably won in some Arak drinking competition)

Both’d be wearing “genuine” Rip Curl or Billabong boardies bought for spesho pwice.
Both’d be “experts” in bargaining
Both’d overuse the expression “ombak bagus” and “tidak owang” in such a way that it tells the locals that you’re a stupid tourist.
Both’d trip out on mushrooms and think its rooorly cooool mun.
Both’d talk about how cheaply they have got a massage before…...each one trying to out do the other.
Both’d surfed Medewie and thought it was a siiiiiiiiiiiiiick wave

To be continued…

Afta I get sick in a bucket…..

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:31 pm

If you dont want to listen to me then....listen to Natho. he seems to have gotten round a bit. In the travel section>>> Bali for beginners
Natho wrote:Why not just get the hell out of Bali itself. It's a hole of a place.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:04 pm

kk, do you have any thoughts about this thing where lots of hawaiian and californian pro surfers are setting up in bali now? if you have, i'd be interested to hear them.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:20 am

it's been happening for a while al, and it sucks. they've been there one year and they start acting like hardcore locals. the more there are, the bigger the exclusive boy's club.

not just bali either. i had a run in with one of the owners of the kandui resort, he seemed to think he was king shit at one of the waves there.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 am

wanto wrote:it's been happening for a while al, and it sucks. they've been there one year and they start acting like hardcore locals. the more there are, the bigger the exclusive boy's club.

not just bali either. i had a run in with one of the owners of the kandui resort, he seemed to think he was king shit at one of the waves there.
when i was there all i could hear was "Fuck the pigdog braa, layyyyyback duude"

in that annoying twang.
And man did they snake :shock:

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:44 am

Half of em hang out with MrsKK bro. If I give you his address in Bali you can get rid of most of them in one hit.
I can’t go there….. they will know it’s me.

Al
I don’t really have the answer to that suffice to say that if you’ve ever spent any considerable time in California you would understand the move. Compared to California...... Bali has a better health care system, it has trees, surf, warm water and a booming centralized global surfing community/economy.
And considering what happened to Sunny Garcia with tax evasion… Bali might also be the new place to “minimize”(and I use the term lightly) their tax. (Purely speculative of course.)

P.S never had any run-ins with any Hawaiins in Indo my life but then again i haven't been back to Bali in the last few years either.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:54 am

Al, that reminds me of a time out Temples and a Cali. bloke dropped in on my mate, and proceeded to 'sort of' soul arch along the wave.

They are both paddling back out past the rest of us and the Cali. bloke is saying 'alllll gooooood maaaan'.

To which my mate replies:

'If you do that again c#nt I will rip your f#@!#%% head off and sh!t down your throat, is that hippy enough for ya?'

Funny stuff. :lol:

[Not that I condone such aggressive behaviour :wink: ]

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:58 am

kreepykrawly wrote:I can just see you and Wanderbra in Bali.

Fingers covered in cheap Balinese rings.
White singlet with the word “Bali” in fluro rainbow colors across the chest.
Wanderbra of course would be wearing the ubiquitous Bintang label logo singlet (probably won in some Arak drinking competition)

Both’d be wearing “genuine” Rip Curl or Billabong boardies bought for spesho pwice.
Both’d be “experts” in bargaining
Both’d overuse the expression “ombak bagus” and “tidak owang” in such a way that it tells the locals that you’re a stupid tourist.
Both’d trip out on mushrooms and think its rooorly cooool mun.
Both’d talk about how cheaply they have got a massage before…...each one trying to out do the other.
Both’d surfed Medewie and thought it was a siiiiiiiiiiiiiick wave

To be continued…

Afta I get sick in a bucket…..
Pffftt I only wear Stone Island Burberry and Adidas - all genuine of course :lol:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:38 pm

Well I wear nothing but nylon and polyester myself when I'm over there. Its amazing that you cant get 100% polyester ralph lauren polo shirts in Australia :shock:
Then again I only shop at $2 tourist traps in Australia. Thats why my wardobe consists of Sydney and Gold Coast T Shirts, digger hats with corks on them and stubbies :D

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 pm

merkin wrote:
Lucky Al wrote:I thought Damien Hardman's commentating was good. In between waves he had some nice stories to tell from his time on the tour, most of them not about himself.
Did he tell the one about when he was "free surfing" ( :roll: ) at North Steyne during one of those Surfabouts in the mid-eighties and as he was paddling out some bloke busted a particularly nice air - particularly for the mid-eighties - right in his face?

Well if you're reading this Dooma that some bloke is still twenty years later trying to bust another one and his career went nowhere :oops:
You talking about Kingsley?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:46 pm

merkin == looker :?:

Nah he couldn't be, I'd of recognized him and wasn't looker a god botherer ( what merkin isn't :lol: ) :arrow: knew some brothers who used to live/stay with em, adam and his curled headed older bro (forgotten his name, matt maybe :?: ) caught up with him at a pub in about 2000, he was still god bothering :!:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:02 am

merkin wrote:I was referring to me :oops:

Wish I could tickle the old ivories like Kingsley - bastard of a thing to lug around to gigs though.
Saxon is one of us.......

Guess who? 8)

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:57 am

Wish I could tickle the old ivories like Kingsley - bastard of a thing to lug around to gigs though.
Hopefully that's where the desire to be like him ENDS!

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks for blowing my cover BB :evil:

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:58 am

Buff_Brad wrote:

Saxon is one of us.......

Guess who? 8)
Bullshit.
Last edited by loco4olas on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.