Rip Curl Search- Bali?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Its 3 days away - hardly likely to be rumours at this stage.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm

what's happening on the charts?! i can't see anything from here. is outside corner going to work? uluwatu is perfect for the search: this is where it began (sort of - everything's sort of now), and this is where it will end (i got a feeling about this). but if those fuckwits go up in helicopters to shoot this, lord help me i'll shoot 'em down!

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:42 pm

lol ripcurl are idiots..... There site is up http://live.ripcurl.com/index.php?home yet they're still not saying "officially" that its at ulu's.

Now note on the home page in latest news you'll see a mention of Euro2 TV being there. Now look at this link http://www.freakfish.co.uk/surf-blog/ri ... watu-bali/ Euro tv 2 announced its at ulus on the 21st but ripcurl wont offically.....
:? :lol:

AL it looks like it will be pumping from day 1 http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=indi_wave note the nice purple blob form around heard Island just in time for the event, with another slightly shorter period back up swell forming of WA after.

Jonas

Post by Jonas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 am

Bali Waves is saying Ulus is to be closed to free surfers for the contest.

Not sure if its true, but if it is that's another example of Rip Curl doing a hopelss job of winning over the locals and surfing public. First Tombstones, now Bali.

I can't think of any other WCT event (and correct me if I'm wrong) where the break is off limits before and during the comp.

I pity anyone who booked a trip to Bali in the last couple of months thining they'd get to surf Ulus, as this comp has only been confirmed in the last few weeks or so.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

Do we sense a rather risky trend here for the WCT events.

Many years ago, I recall Brad Gerlach (back then a top pro tour competitor) coming up to me at Cronulla during a free surf near the Beaurepaires contest site and suggesting that the pros should have a permanent closed off warm-up area at major events. After all, as he said, "It's not like the top tennis players have to share their warm-up courts with everyday players."

This sentiment bubbles up every now and then among the pros; while some don't mind sharing their tune-up surfs with ordinary surfers, others really do resent it, which is why they'll drop in without mercy during pre-event sessions at open surf zones like Snapper etc.

A couple of tour locations are already trending toward exclusivity in function if not in actual name: Bells is a good example, where you've gotta pay to access it during the event, then pay again to park. What with the uncertainty of whether the event will be held or not, it's no surprise that you don't see many non-competitors surfing Bells during the easter waiting period.

I've always thought this was a risk to the pros -- the more they cut themselves off from the wider surfing population, the more they risk alienating that same population -- which in tough times, would be sure to come back and bite 'em where it hurts. Sort of a microcosm of the risks run by the big surf industry companies.

If normal surfers aren't allowed to surf Ulus at all during the Search event's waiting period, the WCT will have taken a big step down a bad road.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 am

Andy & Bruce Irons surfed Keramas in one of the first publicised shoots there a few years back - it was in one of the big mags, but not sure which.
According to the article, the beach was closed, henchmen placed around the dunes to stop other photographers, and a range of people paid off at all levels to make it happen. This caused such a rift, it was said it would never happen again.

I've also noticed a bit of a change over the last few years with the locals, both in and out of the surf - there's a rising middle class who aren't always prepared to be walked over by tourists who pay no heed.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 am

It would seem some 'surf' companies have no shame, and again prove they are willing to exploit situations where locals have few socio-economic resources to resist any imposition.

I wonder what locals feel about this? [considering NW Aust. crew and Raglan crew were not welcoming and chased off the possible 'injection into their economy'].

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 am

bc wrote:Andy & Bruce Irons surfed Keramas in one of the first publicised shoots there a few years back - it was in one of the big mags, but not sure which.
According to the article, the beach was closed, henchmen placed around the dunes to stop other photographers, and a range of people paid off at all levels to make it happen. This caused such a rift, it was said it would never happen again.
can confirm, was turned away. wasn't happy.

lessormore
barnacle

RipofthelocalsCurl

Post by lessormore » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 am

Quote from baliwaves site-

"As ya’s can see Scotto made the run down to see what was happening down at Uluwatu this morning. Apparantly there was only a very small turn up of surfers, but some pretty high profile names amounst those that did. Starting tomorrow Uluwatu will be closed to the surfing public with the organizers organizing the start of the Search event for the 30th of this month. And it looks like the crew won’t have to long to wait with a solid looking swell expected to start pushing the tempo on the same day.

I did my best to try and get a “pass” into the event. I actually thought I mighta had a chance with all the contest press release stuff we have been posting for all the labels this year. But nope, baliwaves.com doesn’t get in the gate. I’ll have to re evaluate the press release stuff and maybe just keep baliwaves for you holidaying free surfers. Maybe we will run a Poll on that issue and let you guys and girls decide for us."

Looks like RipofthelocalsCurl want it all to themselves!

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 am

Clif wrote:It would seem some 'surf' companies have no shame, and again prove they are willing to exploit situations where locals have few socio-economic resources to resist any imposition.

I wonder what locals feel about this? [considering NW Aust. crew and Raglan crew were not welcoming and chased off the possible 'injection into their economy'].
Man you talk some serious crap Clif. Whats this…. you owe them "this"… you owe them "that" crap.
Before the Aussie invasion… the average age life expectancy rate was very low and the average yearly wage for a family would have been around $50.

Sure we might have totally f-cked up Bali and sucked the spirituality right out of the place but at least some of the locals now have motorbikes ,boards and Macdonalds.

No need anymore to heard goats and harvest rice for 20 cents a day.

Wake up to yourself.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

your opinion about what the locals want or don't doesn't matter KK, or whether you think it has benefited them or not doesn't matter. (I know that will come as a surprise to you).

I was asking a question about what the locals 'might' want or not, and about whether they had been consulted when by all intents and purposes there has been nothing said on this matter. In other venues this consultation was forced upon the company in question by locals with resources to do so.

So stop writing your crap, it proves how low your fucking IQ is, time and again. You never understand such questions, and you never will, because you are an arrogant ADMIN, BAN ME NOW! who reckons they know what other need or want.

Is that simple enough for you sunshine?

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:13 pm

i spent a lot of time at ullus,last month,the crew there were happy with rip curl ,they talked to everyone and the goss was 10mill rp to each warung.i just wonder how they will control the people,will they block the first entry points into the warungs?then open at low tide,so folks can watch from the reef?and will ullus become a permant banner shrine to rip curl? one thing for sure is that Wayan the lifeguard will love the free piss!!sorry to dropin before kk unloads on cliff

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:47 pm

I am gathering you think I should be worried silvafish?

But I am not.

I am an Ex-Angolan Military Martial Arts expert with love handles who only surfs at northern beaches secret spots ... and KK wouldn't hurt one of his own.

He knows my neck of the woods is good fishing ...

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:57 pm

I am an Ex-Angolan Military Martial Arts expert with love handles who only surfs at northern beaches secret spots
:lol:

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Dear Cliff
I just had to drop off my wife and kid this morning at the airport. She is going to see her mother and brother who live in Bali. I don’t like her brother at all. In fact I would really like to smash his knee caps in.
These next few weeks I’m gonna be slightly unstable and not my usual cheerful self. I’m not really happy about her going there and these last few I’ve invested quite a bit of energy in trying to make her feel guilty.

I find your comments about me very distressing…. especially the bit about me having a low IQ and I didn’t particularly like you calling me an arrogant whatever it was.

I’m very sensitive at the moment and such comments affect my everyday wellbeing. :lol:

I just wish you would stop blaming surf companies for all your woes…let’s face it…. you have to admit that the spirituality did start trickling out that place the moment the first words of “you wan jiggy jig ?” where uttered so why are you so worried about what the locals think?.

P.S if one of those f-ckers try that shit on me wooza I’m flying over there to reek some havoc.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:59 pm

i have a question for realsurf's ghosts: do massacres of 'unruly natives' or 'communists' add to or take away from a place's spirituality?

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Dear KK,

sorry to hear you are unhappy at the moment.

Regards,

Clif

Just for the record: I do not blame surf companies for 'my' woes. I ask questions about ethics and responsibility of them though (particularly in a surfing forum), just as I ask them of myself day in and day out. The result is never pretty. We can all do more. The thread was about a surf company, and so my posts were angled that way.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 pm

The fishing will be poor for a few hours. Tide comes in late tonight.