should have I

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dingoshred
regular

should have I

Post by dingoshred » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:00 pm

while desperatly in need of a surf and well the only boards in the house that isn't getting fixed or need to get fixed or would probably snap even in 1ft surf or a bloody minimal, is my best mates / flatmates brand new custom (not surfed yet). Should I have taken it out today and dealt with it it later.....?

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:18 pm

Maybe. Depends. You got a thesis on human social interaction and behaviour coming up and are stuck on subject ideas?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:45 pm

definitely not ! you could round up another board from somewhere....

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:57 pm

The real question is.. Did you :?: :shock:

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:35 pm

SACRILEGE :evil: :evil: NEVER :x

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 am

I'd love to hear oldman's take on this....

Hang your head in shame Dingo.....there is a special kind of bond that happens between surfer and a never ridden before surfboard on that first session. You have just broken that bond.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 am

what fluffarse said applied in 1961 as well - some things never change

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:40 pm

As with most philosophical questions its a matter of asking how you would like it if your inconsiderate, untrustworthy, snaking, killjoy friend waxed up your new board and gave it a test drive. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope this helps clear up your post surf regrets.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Aristotle was very clear on this. The Athenians had numerous festivals devoted to Poseidon, including those celebrating the standing on the sea - an ancient art closely akin to surfing, which involved standing on a narrow raft composed of sticks coated in tar (a pedi-karga). When the Mediterranean had a bit of a swell - the Athenians would gather to watch, and call out Karr-Byn-Ha for a well caught wave: which is where the mal riders in the 1950s got the term "Cowabunga' from.

Arisotle's Ethics has a short passage wherein he mentions the vice of borrowing another's pedi-karga: it was considered a moral outrage because it prevented the owner from properly conjoining with the god Poseidon - thus bringing a possible curse down on all things associated with water and the sea in the man's life. Thus it always was.

(the above is complete bullsh't and should be forgotten as soon as read)

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Larry wrote:what fluffarse said applied in 1961 as well - some things never change
Larry still hasn't forgiven his mate who took out his new single fin in the big swell of '61.

:wink:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:11 pm

The question is, "Could you have gotten away with it?"
If you had to wax it up, the answer is obviously, "No".
If it's already waxed, then you're back to square one. Is it worth the friendship. How much did you need the surf.
BTW. Trying to read between the lines here, "Did you?".
Or is it possible that, as you haven't answered the same question put by SAS several posts ago, an indication that you did and are already dead?

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

you are not far wrong crooked, and he paid a hard price, f.cker was a goofy foot as well, and he lived in Bellevue Hill - nearly 50 years ago and I'm stilled a little pissed off - must be the Scottish blood in there - matter of fact I think I'll look him up next weekend ..

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:55 pm

dingoshred if you rode it mate you are a dog, that's like rooting another mans wife. :evil:

When I got my first custom I propped it up in the hallway and lovingly gazed at it for a week. Every day I would put it down on the carpet and lovingly run my hands over its lithe and sculpted form murmuring sweet nothings to it all the time. I took my time putting in it's fins, probably about an hour, as I was in no hurry making sure I got them all just right.

If someone had of rode her before me I would have sold it as it would be forever tainted.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Hatchman wrote: When I got my first custom I propped it up in the hallway and lovingly gazed at it for a week. Every day I would put it down on the carpet and lovingly run my hands over its lithe and sculpted form murmuring sweet nothings to it all the time. I took my time putting in it's fins, probably about an hour, as I was in no hurry making sure I got them all just right.
Hahahaha... I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has done this ...
though the "sweet nothings" weren't part of my repertoire... Hatchy you're a sick puppy :lol:

Dingo, as for your dilemma: I think your conscience is telling you something. As a wise man once told me, "if in doubt, DON'T!" 8)

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 pm

I didn't. But it is so tempting...
He is a summer only surfer (supposedly the water is too cold...ha), so its been sitting there for weeks. He can't love it that much.

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:04 pm

dingoshred wrote:I didn't. But it is so tempting...
He is a summer only surfer (supposedly the water is too cold...ha), so its been sitting there for weeks. He can't love it that much.
if he is only a summer surfer then your right, he probably doesnt love it as much as you would, but its still playing with fire thats for sure!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 am

Larry wrote:you are not far wrong crooked, and he paid a hard price, f.cker was a goofy foot as well, and he lived in Bellevue Hill - nearly 50 years ago and I'm stilled a little pissed off - must be the Scottish blood in there - matter of fact I think I'll look him up next weekend ..
Look what youve started Dingo :!: Larrys gonna beat some chump up, whos gonna beat some other chump up cause hes pissed off and hes gonna beat someone else up......etc..... :lol:

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 pm

aristotle also argued that being good consisted in fulfiling one's purpose/ goal or nature. i think it's the opening of the phyiscs, maybe the ethics, can't remember and couldn't be arsed going to the bookshelf just for a cheap shot on a forum.

anyway, so a good hammer is one that whacks nails. follows that good a surfboard is one that surfs. so it would be wrong not to ride the board.

AlbyAl wrote:Aristotle was very clear on this. The Athenians had numerous festivals devoted to Poseidon, including those celebrating the standing on the sea - an ancient art closely akin to surfing, which involved standing on a narrow raft composed of sticks coated in tar (a pedi-karga). When the Mediterranean had a bit of a swell - the Athenians would gather to watch, and call out Karr-Byn-Ha for a well caught wave: which is where the mal riders in the 1950s got the term "Cowabunga' from.

Arisotle's Ethics has a short passage wherein he mentions the vice of borrowing another's pedi-karga: it was considered a moral outrage because it prevented the owner from properly conjoining with the god Poseidon - thus bringing a possible curse down on all things associated with water and the sea in the man's life. Thus it always was.

(the above is complete bullsh't and should be forgotten as soon as read)