Billabong Pro

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:31 pm

As high as Taj scored, and it might just be the way he surfs but I thought his board looked a little all over the place when he was trying to get speed up. It looks like Taj is constantly having to make micro adjustments and movements to keep the speed up. It might be a style thing but when you compare Slater, Mick & Jordy they all looked super smooth when moving through a section. Can't argue with how he was smashing those turns though.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:40 pm

What happened to Taylor-he ripped SO hard in his first heat-and then just ppfffft-wave starved?

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Who needs Thursday night telly with this on!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 pm

clay wrote:As high as Taj scored, and it might just be the way he surfs but I thought his board looked a little all over the place when he was trying to get speed up. It looks like Taj is constantly having to make micro adjustments and movements to keep the speed up. It might be a style thing but when you compare Slater, Mick & Jordy they all looked super smooth when moving through a section. Can't argue with how he was smashing those turns though.
psst :arrow: firewires surf like that :shock:

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:22 pm

Does AI even care? Three waves, three blown airs. He virtually gifted the heat to TB. Is he majorly over it?

TB is fricken ripping though.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

2nd Reef wrote:Everyone's entitled to their opinion RB....but in this case you're wrong.

You've been told r're and you've been told right

Kai's knock out was a bit :? for moi and

3.83 :?: for Joels last wave, it was twice as big as kelly's 7 :roll:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:59 pm

i really think that the winner of the taj/mick heat will take it...

c'mon aussie!!

combatwombat
Grommet

Post by combatwombat » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Outrageous Judging.

Truly I'm outraged.

Heat 4 Round 4, Yeah kelly was\is surfing well, but what made his two scoring waves have an almost eight ponit difference over whits!!!! He def won the heat but by nearly eight points?

Again with Logie\slater heat. Kelly did not land the closeout manouvere on any of his scoring waves fairly important at supers as most waves end this way.........(in a closeout)

Kelly's pocket turn is awesome however he seems to repeat it were mick,Teebs smith and the other high performers seem to at least mix it up with a eg floater\ roundhouse\barrel in between there signature turn.

Events are made up of heats and kelly god love him has been getting the odd free pass!!!!

Maybe i'm just dirty KP got sent out in a lull. Anyone who saw him before he left knew how on form he was!!!!
OUT FREAKING RAGEOUS

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:16 pm

C'MON WHITE LIGHTNING

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:28 pm

What a load of shite final! I've never seen worse waves! 'Dream tour' my lilly white...

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Respect... I guess he should go for number 10 :shock:

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:35 pm

Totally underwhelming final.

The other pros must hate Slater so much. He's untouchable at the moment.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Quangers wrote:What a load of shite final! I've never seen worse waves! 'Dream tour' my lilly white...
Except for half of the final day it really was an example of the 'Dream Tour' living up to its name. it wasnt epic J-bay but it was pretty fu@ken good. Unlucky the few heats had shit winds, but fu#k, you cant control Huey, what could they really do to make it more of a dream tour.

Good event, deserved finalists, and deserved winner too.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Definatly should go for the 10. It would be one of the greatest sporting feats ever

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 am

^^^ stronger onshore and smaller ... apparently

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:22 am

how were the waves round 4, heats 5 onwards -> white's barrel in heat 5 :shock:

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 am

Best event coverage so far this year.
Parko’s 4 barrel wave in Rd1 and Slater's Rd3 win the highlights.
Jbay looks like heaven when it’s on

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:23 am

I actually liked that the conditions changed through the day. Sure it wasn't as appealling to watch but it tested the competitors and it was the person that adapted the best that won.

I think it was in Parko's quarter when he did 8 straight off the tops. If you're in the mindset that 'I wanna surf perfect J Bay' then that was a classic wave. But from a competition point of view it was pretty plain - there's the canvas, here's the brush. Bang. Repeat 7 more times. Plain...

That's why I liked the onshore coming up. Parko's 8 identical top turns wouldn't work in the short & steep power pockets that each required a unique attack. Extension and projection, which are usually the keys at J Bay, had to be kept in check and top turns had to be tight and pivotty. That was probably Mick's downfall. He kept looking for extension down the line (and just quietly, the first bottom turn on his first wave of the final is as good as I've ever seen outside of Sunset) but his main weapon, the top turn arc to roundhouse was made redundant in the chop. Kelly however changed tactics and looked for the smaller waves to get squarer bottom turns and tight, pivotty hooks off the top.

Another thing I noticed was Kelly staying calm when things started going against him in the semi with Parko. First he got a call against him. Then he had a 5 minute paddle battle with Parko, only to take off on a dud wave and relinquish priority again. Instead of trying to rescue the heat by catching one big set and going bananas on it (Andy, Taj). It felt to me like he just started the heat again. He caught smaller waves and started building momentum again. It was a great win.

On another note: I don't think I've ever seen so many layback snaps in a comp since Kong was on tour. Great stuff!