the fat bat project survives horrid shark attack

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

i want ride the fat bat

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:54 pm

yes....pick me pick me
75%
i don't find kk that attractive
25%

Total votes: 20

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Followers of the bat,

Had a nice little session at the wall this morning.
Bumped into Lessormore at the showers on the way to the carpark. Who was kind enough to get his camera out and video my last two kooky waves. Keep and eye out for the footage, i haven't seen it, but it won't be anything exciting.

Only reason why i got out this morning was because the wind changed and really turned the surf to shite.

I know we're all supposed to be meeting up in Maroubra this arvo, but iggy's call about greenhills is going to be on the money this arvo.

I'm happy to drive the board to Maroubra as planned and promised, but i think it would be better conditions down this way if you can all make it.

I'm going to check the surf from the most northern carpark at Wanda at 3pm then head to Maroubra.

Let me know your thoughts before then.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Went to Nulla for a surf and to try to find Jet01 after posting a message to him late last night(2.30am) He didn't check Realsurf before he went out in the morning so had no idea I would be there.I had an appointment so didnt get there till 10am and had never met Jet01, so I just looked for someone on a blue board and started filming.(Cronulla beach is a few ks long) He only got two waves before coming in,which was when I could confirm it was the Bat.Here is the resulting video.
The journey continues with the bat tavelling to the Bra this afternoon.
I'll be surfing the Eastern Suburbs Friday if anyone wants some video taken on the Bat

Last edited by lessormore on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Cheers to both lessormore and salty for your photographic generosity.

Spewing lessormore didn't get a few of my early waves... I was less kooky and the waves were better out the back... but murphy's law was just a little too strong that day.

Trying to tee up a handover time with Faniel. Was initially going to head down to Woonona for a surf, but something's come up for sunday.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:14 pm

JET01 wrote:Spewing lessormore didn't get a few of my early waves... I was less kooky and the waves were better out the back...
Yeah me too :roll: :roll: :roll:

Faniel
regular

the bat is in the Gong'

Post by Faniel » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:48 am

jet handed the board over to me tonight in the car park at Engadine McDonalds,
right under the nose of two police man getting their halfprice quarter pounders,
and they didnt even get a sniff of the deal going down in front of their McFaces!! :lol:

anyhow i have lined up one mate so far for tommorrow morning,
but he only rides a sponge.
happens to be a naturally gifted skateboarder so he is keen to try out the Bat, maybe we can covert him!

Boardriders on Sunday, am a member but only turn up when the waves are good,
know most of the guys so might be able to get some Bat action happening.
dont know if all will want to hop on a strange new board for their heat though, but some might.

maybe after if there is another bank working, i can get another mate to turn up with his video, and we can get some free surfing footage?

lets see.

Fan

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:35 am

good to see some seedy dealings still take place at Maccas carpark.... Lookin forward to seeinghow the bat goes at the boardriders ...thanks boys... 8)

Nuttman

Bat in the gong..

Post by Nuttman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Hey realsurfers.. have been following the fat bats trials and tribulations
Just realised that the bat is in the gong..Im not a big contribtor to these forums but as the cliche says.. long time reader 2nd or 3rd time poster (well its kinda like that)
just wondering how long its going to be in the gong and where its going to be.
Im keen to give it a go if iat all possible..
Thanks

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Bat in the gong..

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Nuttman wrote:Hey realsurfers.. have been following the fat bats trials and tribulations
Just realised that the bat is in the gong..Im not a big contribtor to these forums but as the cliche says.. long time reader 2nd or 3rd time poster (well its kinda like that)
just wondering how long its going to be in the gong and where its going to be.
Im keen to give it a go if iat all possible..
Thanks
hey mate, send me a PM and we will sort something out, great to have you on board and a good chance for you to catch up some other surfers in your area....

thanks Nige, appreciate the pics and stuff mate.....its just good to get people together and have some waves together and just talk boards and stuff. I am having heaps of fun too, just wish I was getting to meet more of you guys who have been involved.... 8) and keen for a surf on the bord soon myself.... 8) cant wait to see and hear how she goes in the Gong...... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 am

http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp11 ... ees004.jpg

http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp11 ... ees004.jpg

here are some pics of the t-shirts I had done up for the MORE the merrier , only got a few left now but if anybody is interested in one, please PM me...might be doing another batch soon if there's enough interest...cheers
( hope the link works )

Faniel
regular

bat

Post by Faniel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:29 pm

the Bat is in the Gong,
had one surf on it on so far, doesnt rate rating.
boardriders cancelled yesterday due to lack of swell :cry:
but the swell is here today
have lined up 2 photogs and 3 other mates and am heading down to Killalea Beach NOW!
some said once it likes these conditions, could be one of the best sessions for the FatBat yet,

will post photos as soon as the photogs sort em out.
sorry no video today he is working.

I'm excited :D :D

Fanny

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 pm

This is eerie-I think the Bats following me around.I surfed Killalea this morning.Should be some good photo opps as the waves were pretty decent.

pridmore
Owl status

Re: bat

Post by pridmore » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Faniel wrote:the Bat is in the Gong,
had one surf on it on so far, doesnt rate rating.
boardriders cancelled yesterday due to lack of swell :cry:
but the swell is here today
have lined up 2 photogs and 3 other mates and am heading down to Killalea Beach NOW!
some said once it likes these conditions, could be one of the best sessions for the FatBat yet,

will post photos as soon as the photogs sort em out.
sorry no video today he is working.

I'm excited :D :

Fanny
sounds great, cant wait to check the pics out... :) 8) 8)

is it stalking you lessorMORE or are you stalking the bat ??? :roll:

twistedrifter

Post by twistedrifter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 pm

What are the dims?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey Mark,

Just wanted to congratulate you on a great design template. I finally got to take my Fat Bat out for the first time today. I hit up a few spots around here

http://www.surfingatlas.com/division/14

Worked really well for me in bombie style reefs, and hollow beachbreak. When I say hollow I am talking 1 second instadeath closeouts but you get the picture.

Could you recommend a few different fin set ups to try out in different scenarios? For example would the H2 quads work okay?

Anyway mate, great work and looking forward to recommending this board around my network.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:55 pm

twistedrifter wrote:What are the dims?
6'3 x 20 5/8" x 2 11/16" ( from memory...please correct me if I am wrong...)

Longinus, glad the new Fat-Bat goes well for you...H2's would work but I prefer a regular template of 2 very similar sized fins, seems to work best and be MORE versatile... 8)

Faniel
regular

fat bat does it

Post by Faniel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:06 pm

took the Bat down the coast to a south swell magnet after lunch today
Huey kindly turned the wind off shore for us and my mates and i went on to enjoy an hour and a half of nice clean crisp beachies,

the rights were better but the photogs wouldnt move down the beach, so after a while I just stuck with the short punchy semi close out lefts next to the shelf and got a couple of ok rides.

my mates disappeared down the drift.

The Bat went well, although bottom turning on some 6 ft sets sent me back to the car to install the mysterious often forgotten fifth fin, the stabilizer.
and i must say the board did improve in stability and connectedness on those sketchy back hand bottom turns and i was able to give the board a bit more freedom with less risk of sliding out, allowing me to drive higher up into the lip for the 2nd half of the session .

i will now attempt to post a few photos of the first session and see how i go

Faniel
regular

bat attack

Post by Faniel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 pm

a mixed sequence to make it look better

sorry staff, have uploaded the photos to photobucket, but am unable to transfer the shots,
i have had trouble with finding the right screen or prompt to go back to work it out.

bed time now,

Dan

any helper on thst last strech of clues?

pridmore
Owl status

Re: fat bat does it

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 am

Faniel wrote:took the Bat down the coast to a south swell magnet after lunch today
Huey kindly turned the wind off shore for us and my mates and i went on to enjoy an hour and a half of nice clean crisp beachies,

the rights were better but the photogs wouldnt move down the beach, so after a while I just stuck with the short punchy semi close out lefts next to the shelf and got a couple of ok rides.

my mates disappeared down the drift.

The Bat went well, although bottom turning on some 6 ft sets sent me back to the car to install the mysterious often forgotten fifth fin, the stabilizer.
and i must say the board did improve in stability and connectedness on those sketchy back hand bottom turns and i was able to give the board a bit more freedom with less risk of sliding out, allowing me to drive higher up into the lip for the 2nd half of the session .

i will now attempt to post a few photos of the first session and see how i go
thats great, I wanted someone to try the tail fin... Wow, 6ft sets and hard backhand bottom turns, thats the situation to test the bat out thats for sure...The stumpier and wide bats do get slidey in those situations coz they arent desied for that but its great that you pushed it in those waves and even put the tail fin in and glad it held in in those waves. I think it wold have handled the rights more easily, just seems to be easier to hold your line and less sudden sharp turns on your frontside...Great stuff, good to push the design and see what it can and cant handle, it sure has been surfed in a variety of conditions....Great stuff ... 8) 8) 8)

Who else is keen in the Gong area and a bit south of there ??? not manytest pilots lined up between thereand maybe Hatchman in Vicco ??? please pm me if keen... 8) :)