Work that allows you to surf during the week

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri May 23, 2008 2:53 pm

While I love my job - mid winter is hard.
I run an adventure travel operation from a city office or anywhere in the world.
When I am at home I surf every day there is waves from Oct to May with either an early or a late session (or both). But as of this week its just too fkn dark in the morning to get a wave in before time to get sorted to go to office.
Forced to go for a run or a swim at 5.30 am as daylight not essential

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 pm

uni- 12 "contact hours a week" makes for a pretty flexible timetable. especially when if have classes at night.

but ive also worked as a cook. usually start about 11. sometimes a bit later. dont work the same days every week, and can usually take one or 2 days off during the week. leaves the mornings free, and often dont have to worry about weekend crowds.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Retired :D
Get offered work more often than I want but I can usually start late if I want to :lol:
A lifetime of working more hours than I got paid for, combined with being lucky enough to be in a good super fund, means I don't have to work. So I work because I want to. The downside of being financially secure is normally that you are old. I'm old :roll:
But I can surf when I want to 8) :lol: :)
And I surf because I can.............

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Fri May 23, 2008 7:54 pm

I work for a search marketing agency doing a mixture of consulting and client management. Monday to Friday Start 9(ish) finish 6(ish). As I am fortunate enough to live 2ks from work and live near the beach this allows for earlies during winter and either the early or the late during daylight saving/summer.
I probably could chase a bigger salary at another agency but that would involve a bigger commute to the city and beyond and to be honest being able to surf every day is worth way more than that.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri May 23, 2008 10:46 pm

head cook and bottle washer :lol: :wink:

lot shift work....but no graveyard stuff ( u got a draw a line in wats healthy 4 uself...mind u i finshed @ 4am last thursaday :cry: )

shift works way go for waves....but his another key

took two days my new work figure out i was a surfer

i can swap shifts if swells up 8) 8) 8) 8)

i was also magically rostered off ( this and the next two) state origin games :wink:

a good work enviroment looks after the bussiness and your soul :idea: ( my kids can wonder in bearfoot after school...get a cuddle and a free snack 8) ...watch me work than wonder out ...u can't put a price on that :wink: )

just being in a flexiable ( u give and take) environment working with good people is the key :idea:

p.s i want tervs or tigers jobs...lifestyle BASTARDS :lol: :lol: :lol:

HEY TREV...FOR A OLD GUY U SURF better than OK...just got get that "right foot "forwrd and u got a style die for :idea: :lol:

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri May 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Here i was thinking how cool, all these guys accommodating their lives so that they can enjoy what they love instead of being caught up in the 9-5 rat race ... then i thought fuck that ... its you bludging cnuts that gives me crowded surfs even on a weekday :x

stevo123

Post by stevo123 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Revolution wrote: its you bludging cnuts that gives me crowded surfs even on a weekday :x
:lol:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat May 24, 2008 12:21 am

Personal Carer. Go to work anywhere from 5pm - 8pm, sleep there, and finish no later than 8.30am the next morning. Do that 3 - 4 times a week, means I can surf on any day I want. :wink:

Sarge
regular

Post by Sarge » Sat May 24, 2008 8:43 am

[quote="The Oracle"]State govt job. Flex hours means I just have to avg my 35 hours a week, only have to be at work for core hours 9:30 to 3:30 on any given day, as long as I make up the hours other times. quote]

Me to, ain't this the best arrangement ever. 8)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat May 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Nice cushy consultantcy / contract gig for the State Govt. 3 days a week, plus freelance stuff and an online shop. Oh... and the best beachie on the Mid Coast 5 minutes walk away, or around 15 reefs all within 5 minutes drive. ;)

I think being able to keep an eye on things, living close and picking the windows in tide, crowd and little swell pulses make all the difference. As well as NOT having a 9-5 job! :D

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon May 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Freelance video editor. Work mainly at 9. Alot of early starts of late but some evenings which frees up the days.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon May 26, 2008 3:01 pm

working part-time, at a uni.

Only started part-time last year. Have noticed with disgust how many of you bastards don't work Thursday or Friday. Sometimes Maroubra is as crowded on a Thursday morning as a Saturday morning.

Go and get real jobs you damned spongers.

b-r

Post by b-r » Mon May 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Airline pilot.... :D

elbows
Grommet

Post by elbows » Mon May 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Chef.
Days off on week days are soo good for surfing,
working all weekend not so good for marriage.
I don't surf much in the weekend, though sunday dusk can be strangely lacking in crowds

lovemuscle
Grommet

Post by lovemuscle » Tue May 27, 2008 6:43 pm

quote="The Oracle"]State govt job. Flex hours means I just have to avg my 35 hours a week, only have to be at work for core hours 9:30 to 3:30 on any given day, as long as I make up the hours other times. quote]

Me to, ain't this the best arrangement ever.
no wonder the states infrastructure is going down the shitter. But yeah your right, a state gvt job has good flexi hours. Only problem is actually getting the job...you two must suck one hell of a big cock all day.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 pm

sunday arvos are when everyone goes home :lol: happy hours
Maybe what don does, run a website, or be a pro surfer? :lol:
what does wanto do he seems to have an endless supply of shots coming in...

middle of the week is only crowded in sydney, and although it is crowded it tends to be mainly competent surfers, as opposed to the spastics that crowd the lineup on a sunday....im fine with people learning, just not infront of me :x

saturday mornings can have golden windows, people are hungover and kids have footy/soccer...
seek and you will find (a window of no crowds).
i stayed at a mates and was shooting photos of him surfing, and i got bored and paddled out. When he was surfing there was 30 people out, by the time i got out there there was 3 of us and 2 japanese people sitting in the inshore trough :lol:

maybe a self employed person?

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 pm

If You want flexibility try and get a web based business going. I haven't done it, yet but I reckon its perfect to chase waves in that you can work remotely e.g.: bali, hossegor, raglan etc and if you run it right you can get paid in US$ and live somewhere way cheaper. I deal with a few people through work who have this kind of set up going on.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed May 28, 2008 8:21 am

damage runs a little company in down town dy which means he can regularly be spotted pulling in at either curly, dy or longy mid mornings once the morning peak hour has finished. then he buys his cappacino and heads back to the office to return some calls. :D