Surfing Europe (France) August 2008

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bojanglez
regular

Surfing Europe (France) August 2008

Post by bojanglez » Thu May 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Hey All,

Am heading over to Europe in August for a mates wedding. Keen to surf the south of France and down into Portugal, but due to it being summer not sure if there'll be much swell around...? :? Only have a 2 week window for surfing so don't know if it'll be worth dragging a board around with me.

Anyone have any feedback on the waves for that time of year over there? Also, any advice on any good spots to surf would be sweet!

Cheers,
Ando

S4MS
regular

Post by S4MS » Thu May 08, 2008 4:17 pm

I'll be in S France all August & early Sept as well. Lacanau is the closest break for me, surfed it once before & it was pretty good.

For novelty value though, as i'll be staying only about 15 mins away, I'mgonna give this a go... (2km long wave)
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Fr ... St_Pardon/

Like the OP would also appreciate some advice esp in Gironde region.

Ringmaster, care to mention any spots in particular?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu May 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Ill just be missing you. Got a flight going out 2nd september (some youth week bullshit took up most the flights)

But for last few months been lurking euro surf forums and getting advice, definitely will be going surfing for a few weeks. Definitely worth it.

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 pm

I will be surfing in France/Spain/Portugal during late August and early September too....

I have a 6'0 and a 6'1 rounded square all rounder....

Is it worth ditching one of my all-rounders and getting a rounded pin little step up job?

F**k decisons!

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Thu May 08, 2008 6:12 pm

If it's similar to the last few weeks here then maybe ditch one. Been storm swell, quiet, storm swell, quiet. Take your normal one for the buildup and tail end of the swells and the step up for when it's on then search around areas like Guethary and a bit south.

When it's quieter there hasn't been much power and the longboarders have dominated in the Biarritz/Cote de Basque/Bidart/Anglet area and I counted 4 standups last week out at Cote de Basque. There are plenty of surf schools that roam the area as well so it's minimal heaven. There is, however, more hot hot hot female surfers per capita than I ever saw in Sydney, so hire a longboard for the small days and enjoy the views or catch the train to the Pyrenees for the day, it's an hour from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port.

bojanglez
regular

Post by bojanglez » Fri May 09, 2008 10:34 am

Cheers RM & Dae!

Looks like the boards definitely comin! Plus a skatey & backpack.

Rev, S4MS, CK - Might see ya out there for a wave & a perv!

I'll be going for 4-6weeks, and aim to be in France by the 6th Aug.

mondo
Grommet

Post by mondo » Fri May 09, 2008 11:28 am

bo - i recommend hiring a car if you can
if you're in portugal try peniche/baleal, its got a few options facing different-ish directions (NW and W and WSW).... supertubes obviously.... also the reef on the north side of the point.
there are a few surf camps in baleal (4 min drive nth from peniche) which are good for accom as they are right on the beach.....
if your not going that far south, there's some good surf north of porto, chilly water tho...even in summer

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri May 09, 2008 11:46 am

Anyone got much idea on the water temps around September/October time? From France to Portugal?

Crofty
Grommet

Post by Crofty » Fri May 09, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm arriving in France on the 16th of September for 3 weeks. Haven't booked anything as yet.

What would you guys recommend?

* staying in a camp and having everything spoon fed to me...local knowledge, transport, meals, accommodation etc (onbviously more expensive)

OR

* finding some accommodation and maybe car hire/public transport and explore and do everything on my own?

Have never been before so any advice will be more than helpful!

doowdle

Post by doowdle » Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Ive surfed france and portugal a bit, heres my 3 cents:

1. It gets pretty powerfull, take min 2 boards, take a step-up
2. Its warm. 3/2 full suit max you will need, eg for early mornings in france. might just want a vest in the arvos.
3. Surf camps? you don't need no stinking surfcamps. Get a copy of the stormrider guide & a car and go find some waves. Its dead easy to camp, at cheap campsites or just kip in your car / van in the woods or beach. alternativly, if you want comfort, hire a gite and base yourself from there.

late august -october, best time. Do not go without a board!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri May 09, 2008 1:54 pm

doowdle wrote:late august -october, best time. Do not go without a board!
Will be backpacking all over europe, surfing will take up approx 15% of my trip, how bad is it trying to get a board? (even more so, a booger)

doowdle

Post by doowdle » Fri May 09, 2008 2:11 pm

Its not great.

You could pick one up in anglet (just to the north of biaritz) or in hosegor, choice isn't great. If you just want a bog standard shortboard, you will probably be ok.I remember it being pretty expensive. Not sure about bodyboards, im sure the surfshops stock em.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri May 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Take something if you can Rev, they're fuggin expensive over here and as doowdle said, the choice isn't great. A pom mate here has just gone through the process of trawling all the shops in the area for something, ended up picking an NSP 6'4 fish for 250 euros, and that was about the best deal he was going to get (that was at anglet - not the Waimea store but the one next to it). There is a better store as you are entering Bidart from the north (aloha surf or something, it starts with A at least), and that'd be one of the biggest around but don't like your chances in/around peak season. Dunno about BBs either in the stores, but you should be able to carry yours around easily enough.

There's a few guys already surfing in boardies and the 2/3 is doing quite well at the moment. I started overheating in my 3/4/5 a few weeks back.

If you are staying around Biarritz/Anglet/Cote de Basque and want to hire a bicycle instead of a car, there's a few bike hire stores. Some of them have a deal with the local language schools to hire them at a cheaper rate than standard so just tell them you go to the language school. The savings can be up to 20/30 euros a month depending on length of hire. It isn't great but helps and at least one place will let you haggle a little.

Plus - and I know I'm generalising here but this is off the threads in the BB section so apologies - There has been a group of British Isles kids running around just getting wasted every night, slaughtering the local language, and being general 16yo weiner twats. It's got to the point where at least one place in Biarritz has thrown a couple extra bouncers at the front to stop them coming in, and I assume others are aware of them as they mostly confine themselves to the beach at night now. My point is that if some are going to come over as a group and try the Ugly Australian/Screaming Queen BB Threader out on the locals, well the precedent has already been set for the season and you'll not find a lot of patience I think. So be nice.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Fri May 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Have surfed over there in August (actually my wife is French and her family is in SW of France - gloat! gloat!)

Yes, take a board and a mid-ranger: it can pump, and the Atlantic swells are no bullshit. Buying boards is expensive, trade-ins poor, and some rentals are OK, but limited selection.

August can be super-busy in SW France - accom. difficult and traffic awful. But the surf is never as hassled as Sydney if you ask me. Water warm - but as you get around to Portugal, drops off something orrible. Agree with the other general advice.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri May 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Dae wrote:Plus - and I know I'm generalising here but this is off the threads in the BB section so apologies - There has been a group of British Isles kids running around just getting wasted every night, slaughtering the local language, and being general 16yo weiner twats. It's got to the point where at least one place in Biarritz has thrown a couple extra bouncers at the front to stop them coming in, and I assume others are aware of them as they mostly confine themselves to the beach at night now. My point is that if some are going to come over as a group and try the Ugly Australian/Screaming Queen BB Threader out on the locals, well the precedent has already been set for the season and you'll not find a lot of patience I think. So be nice.
Please dont jugde or compare me on the booger forum :oops:

So you think hiring will be tough? Really sucks to hear that because in reality there is about a 99% chance i wont take a board with me due to carrying it around the rest of europe for 7+ weeks more. Only real option is to get off the plane (flying into paris) and head to the surf part of my holiday first then post the board home?? :?

I might go get onto a few more of those euro booger forums, they got a tight knit community over there it seems.