"Breath" by Tim Winton

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Wouldn't Be Dead For Quids.
The Godson remains a firm favourite in the Tweed Valley for obvious reasons.

The Ultimate Aphrodisiac and Crime Scene Cesnock arent bad either.
Unfortunately he couldn't keep pace with the reinvention of Bondi in a lot of novels since he now lives in Terrigal.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 am

Terrigal :!:

Poor son-of-a-b!tch :twisted:

How can you be writing about a tough crime-fighting hard man, and live at Terrigal :wink: :?:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed May 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Yep, I reckon he really got the flavour of old time Bondi and the X because he lived it.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed May 21, 2008 7:19 pm

How's this book ( Breath) for a 16 year old ?

Mind you, the kid is a fair reader and has a pretty all around view of things -

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed May 21, 2008 10:41 pm

Dunno Larry.
I reckon he or she will be destined to spend too much time deconstructing it as a High School Text.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed May 21, 2008 10:43 pm

I also think Winton is too escapist for the East Coast.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 am

They were unanimous in their approval on the First Tuesday Book Club last night. ie Byrne et al.

barrelman
Grommet

Post by barrelman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 am

I liked the whole Les Norton thing for a while until it reached the point of total tediousness. Read them all on numerous surfing trips. Basically a case of same ol same ol. He should have just stuck with 3 or so follow ups after “Wouldn't Be Dead For Quids”. In fact that character Les Norton was based on a real life Kings Cross bouncer. Yea… he had a handle bar mo but you wouldn’t have a go at him. He was as tuff as nails. A real relic from the days when every single copper was bent and assault charges where generally swept under the table (if you had the right connections). They once did an expose on the real Les Norton in a penthouse magazine many years ago.I accidently came across him between tossing.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:51 am

barrelman wrote:They once did an expose on the real Les Norton in a penthouse magazine many years ago.I accidently came across him between tossing.
Very funny. :lol: :lol:

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:50 am

"The wave drove onto the shoal and the report cannoned across the water and slapped against my chest"

I couldn't put this book down, and besides, a grey rainy day is a good day to sleep in and get out of bed at lunchtime. Winton delivers another suscinct analogy of the surfing lifestyle immortalised in time..........

Brilliant

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:12 pm

loved the turning, havent read any others yet.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:20 pm

macgreggor wrote:"The wave drove onto the shoal and the report cannoned across the water and slapped against my chest"
Yes i remember reading that line and thinking what the bloody hell is the report :?:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Damage wrote:They were unanimous in their approval on the First Tuesday Book Club last night. ie Byrne et al.
Thats enough reason to boycott the book right there. :roll:

I remember seeing an Australian Story I think it was on Robert G. Barrett. It featured him paddling his goat boat in a lagoon at Terrigal. More keg than six pack thats for sure. Really funny considering the books always have Norton doing 20 laps of the beach in a racing ski he's borrowed followed by stair climbs and a work out with the bag. :roll: :roll:

At least the cooking parts obviously come straight from the heart of an old butcher.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Damage wrote:They were unanimous in their approval on the First Tuesday Book Club last night. ie Byrne et al.
Thats enough reason to boycott the book right there. :roll:
Of course it is. :roll:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:08 pm

The big Jen lost me after she loudly proclaimed her dislike of Hemingway even when the rest of the literati on the show were wetting themselves. Most had not read his books or had ignored them since high school. This is the cream of our literary establishment-"Theyre the cream all right, all rich and thick." to quote James Joyce.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Sorry, it was Samuel Beckett I quoted. Wrong Irishman.
He said it about the private school boys he was teaching in Dublin.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Australian literary establishment. There's three words no man should use in the same sentence.

Of course Jennifer didn't like Hemingway; Hemingway wrote about men, and she's married to Andrew Denton.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Beanpole wrote: This is the cream of our literary establishment
Oh bollocks. (to quote other lesser known Irishmen; pretty sure i have that quote right).

Arn't they just people who enjoy reading, albeit with a profile, and get together to talk about it, once a month? I'm pretty sure Jen B would hardly describe herself as a doyen of the australian book club scene.

Combining a bit of beanie's tall poppy with some of NC's cultural cringe and this thread is taking a very australian turn indeed. (as opposed to a big group of aussie blokes discussing literature which i think its safe to say is very un-australian).

:P