Positioning to Avoid a Takeoff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Wed May 07, 2008 3:49 pm

WANDERER wrote:'Fiddletown'
didn't think anyone from NH or fiddletown would be able to surf (not any i know anyway), nice one:!:

how much do learn2surf places focus on teaching people the basics of catching a wave :?:

admittadly i don't know how much time they spend teaching people the feeling of catching a wave but i'm guessing they include a general safety element in the lesson..

i've been in the surf since i was heaps young so have been able to develop that understanding of how to catch a wave and a basic knowledge of how the wave works :arrow: so when i started surfing having that understanding helped a shtload!

So i figure in a 2 hour session noones gonna be able to go from zero to being able to surf competently - so if they're not teaching this, is it rationalising that
a) surf schools aren't gonna make money showing people how to be safer around people in the surf because
b) all anyone wants to do after their surf lesson is to rave about how they (almost) stood up

Doodles
Grommet

Post by Doodles » Thu May 08, 2008 6:12 pm

If your nose diving your prolly leaning too far forward when your catching the wave. (Both when your still laying down and when you stand up)[/quote]

Bumfluff is back!

BTW - Probably best to try and get to your feet earlier, and or better wave positioning, and this will alleviate most of the issues with Pearling.

emerald snake

Post by emerald snake » Thu May 08, 2008 6:30 pm

what shits me is people who claim you dropped in when you were up and riding before they took off on the inside... and its usually local crew who try and uphold this pretty grey area of the surfing 'law'

i agree with the other guy who said if you're caught up in the lip and bail, its a far worse situation than taking the drop and flicking off.

try and go surfing at places less crowded and on off-peak days when you're learning, rather than scratching around the peak with a volatile crew of chargers.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu May 08, 2008 6:48 pm

merkin wrote:
emerald snake wrote:what shits me is people who claim you dropped in when you were up and riding before they took off on the inside... and its usually local crew who try and uphold this pretty grey area of the surfing 'law'
:shock: :!: :?: :arrow: :shock:
The troubles of a SUP?

sixfootstix
Grommet

Post by sixfootstix » Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 pm

[quote="emerald snake"]what shits me is people who claim you dropped in when you were up and riding before they took off on the inside... and its usually local crew who try and uphold this pretty grey area of the surfing 'law'

Better work on that cutback matey. :wink:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 am

[/quote]

Bumfluff is back!

[/quote]

Ya..... and im drunk......anyone want some good/bad surfing advice? :D