O'Neill Warranty, Repairs and Service

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

O'Neill Warranty, Repairs and Service

Post by petulance » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Boo hoo hoo.

Came out of the surf at Bondi this arvo and I notice there is a largish rip on the left inner thigh of my O'Neill spring suit. The rip is big enough to expose a 20 cent patch of skin on my thigh. I have only had the springsuit since January so it is within its 12 month warranty so I'll be taking it back to the shop I bought it from next weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with O'Neill warranties and repairs? I had a look at their website and they do not mention that rips through regular wear and tear are not covered by their warranty.

And yes, I have searched this forum's archive and could only find one person who posted a question about O'Neill's warranty (the poster reckoned their service was bad ... it took a while to get a replacement wetsuit).

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm

I have twice had cause to use O'Neill for repairs to their suits. Both were rips/tears/cuts and if that's what happened to yours I can't see how they can be responsible for it. I would imagine warranty would cover stitching issues, material breakdown etc.
Anyway, they repaired the suit for me the first time at a very reasonable price and quickly (fin cut from a wipe out on suck rock at Dee Why) Second time the suit was very old and they repaired it just as promptly and wouldn't take any payment for it.
Well done guys!
You should find them very reasonable people - after all I'm nobody to them, just a blow in off the street.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 pm

O'Neill warranty service is excellent. I've had several free warranty repairs and a few normal repairs over the years, which were pretty cheap.

If you've ripped the neoprene through normal W&T then clearly it isn't a manufacturing defect which would be covered by a warranty, but you never know your luck. They might be feeling generous.

SMW1

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 am

i discovered a large hole at the base of my zipper (wetty was in its 2nd season) and took it down to the brookvale factory for repair. They said it would take 3 weeks, it took 4.5, first time back out it ripped again, down for another repair which was 1 week, ripped again and then they just gave me a brand newy. service was good, albeit a touch slow, and they gave me a wetty to use whilst mine was away. 8/10

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I know the rip / tear was from normal use but the O'Neill website didn't say anything about that (they were mainly concerned with repairs from unauthorised repairers). I'll take the spring suit in this weekend and see what happens.

Jim, is the Brookvale factory a generic wetsuit repair place or is it the one used by O'Neill for repairs?

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:08 am

It was their factory outlet from memory, but they have moved just down the road from last time i was there (2-3yrs ago), here y'are

O'Neill Wetsuits:

9 a Green St, Brookvale, NSW

02 9905 6661

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 am

Credit where it's due with O'Neill. Good customer service deserves recognition.

I would buy a suit from one of the Aussie brands, but they just don't fit me like O'Neill's.

I surfed Northern California a while back in 12 degree water and just used my 3:2 Psycho II. I wasn't cold at all for up to about 1 1/2 hours in the water. Mind you, I would have used a 4:3 if I'd had one. Quality products.

SMW1

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 pm

BIGJIM wrote:It was their factory outlet from memory, but they have moved just down the road from last time i was there (2-3yrs ago), here y'are

O'Neill Wetsuits:

9 a Green St, Brookvale, NSW

02 9905 6661

Thanks for that! I rang them up and they gave me a "reply paid post" address to send the spring suit to. If it isn't covered by the warranty then it shouldn't take too much to fix it.

And their phone number has changed to

02-9438 6800

bro
Local

Post by bro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm

so has their address they are at Powells Rd in Brookie not green st

SDA
Grommet

Re: O'Neill Warranty, Repairs and Service

Post by SDA » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 am

[quote="petulance"]
Does anyone have any experience with O'Neill warranties and repairs? I had a look at their website and they do not mention that rips through regular wear and tear are not covered by their warranty.
[/quote]

They are nothing less than fantastic!!! I bought a steamer from the US.. due to the fact that Australia doesn't carry all sizes. After the first surf in the wetsuit, I was taking it off & ripped the neck panel. I dropped it off the O'Neill when I was last in Sydney.. no questions asked, they made the repair and shipped it out to me.. at no cost!

I have never had this level of service from any other company.. hence why now, I have only great thing to say about O'Neill!!

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Brilliant service here as well.

Returned a wetsuit due to a rip, it got lost as the store was changing hands, no one was sure if if it was the shop or at the Oneill end that the stuff up had ocurred so Oneill gave me a new 1 no questions asked in a quick time.

Also the best fit as well.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:15 am

Just wanted to post an update.

I sent the springsuit to the O'Neill distributor in Brookvale and I received the repaired springsuit 4 weeks later.

It cost $16.50 to fix the tear.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:51 pm

yep I agree good wetsuits... pity O'Neill aren't interested in offering local retaillers any protection against product dumping from their own country of origin... :roll: