Atolls

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

half

Atolls

Post by half » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:53 pm

"This page is a doorway to a very large gallery of the world's atolls. The atolls presented here are by no means exhaustive of all those that are known — many are not included. Atolls which have lost their lagoons, such as Jarvis Island and Nukutuvake, are not included. Atolls that are classed as "almost atolls", such as Aitutaki and Raivavae, are not included. Raised atolls, such as Atiu, are not included. Sunken atolls, partly sunken atolls and atolls that have lost their islands are included."

http://www.oceandots.com.nyud.net/lib/a ... tollia.htm

edit. looks like the guys bandwidth is taking a hammering so expect a few 503's

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Hmmm... Marshall Islands.
I have a friend who was a missionary/teacher over there for a few years and he told me a few nice things about that place :P
Last edited by rightbrainpositive on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:06 pm

fucking missionaries should all rot in hell. religious arrogance destroys fragile cultures.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm

And gives away locations of ultra sick right hand reef breaks.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Big call Wanto... I don't think they should all rot in hell. Nothing wrong with teaching kids who have no access to schools. My mate is far from the 'preacher' type but he does have a passion for helping out when there's a need.

And as for secrets... ultra sick right hand reef breaks aren't only for a select few like Dan Malloy and Ted Grambeau.
Not that it's a secret anymore :roll:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:46 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:Nothing wrong with teaching kids who have no access to schools. My mate is far from the 'preacher' type but he does have a passion for helping out when there's a need.
Problem is the majority do have an alterior (religious) motive.

And what do they need to "teach" the islander kids anyway? To be more "western"?
Last edited by BA on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:06 pm

BA wrote:
rightbrainpositive wrote:Nothing wrong with teaching kids who have no access to schools. My mate is far from the 'preacher' type but he does have a passion for helping out when there's a need.
Problem is the majority do have an alterior (religious) motive.

And what do they need to "teach" the islander kids anyway? To be more "western"?
I don't agree with people 'pushing' their religions onto others. I also don't believe in 'non-western' countries needing to be educated to be more 'western'.

But if a community want to be educated in skills like carpentary, English, arithmetic and others make a decision to fulfill it, who's losing out?

Anyway, back to atolls...

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 pm

i do love atolls. have to say, i somewhat prefer reef fringed mountainous islands. yes, they are the shit. :lol: :wink: :wink:

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:Hmmm... Marshall Islands.
I have a firend who was a missionary/teacher over there for a few years and he told me a few nice things about that place :P
Let's take a moment to remember the most famous Marshall Islands Atoll

Bikini Atoll http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_Atoll

and the history lesson ...
  • 1. Although the bikini is more than 1,700 years old based on mosaics from the Villa Romana del Casale in Sicily believed to have been created in 300 AD, the modern version that we now know and love debuted in Paris on July 5, 1946
    2. Louis Reard, a French engineer, and French designer Jacques Heim, were in competition in the early 1940s to produce the world's smallest swimsuit; a truly noble design battle if ever there was one
    3. Reard reportedly had noticed women in St. Tropez rolling up their bathing suits in an attempt to get a better tan
    4. The name "bikini" came to Reard following US post-World War II atomic tests on the South Pacific Bikini atoll
    5. Initially banned in Catholic countries, the bikini craze as a fashion statement is widely credited to Bridgette Bardot in the 1957 film "And God Created Woman."
... exhibit A:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 pm

cambo wrote:
I have a firend who was a missionary/teacher over there for a few years and he told me a few nice things about that place :P
Let's take a moment to remember the most famous Marshall Islands Atoll

Bikini Atoll http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_Atoll

and the history lesson ...
  • 1. Although the bikini is more than 1,700 years old based on mosaics from the Villa Romana del Casale in Sicily believed to have been created in 300 AD, the modern version that we now know and love debuted in Paris on July 5, 1946
    2. Louis Reard, a French engineer, and French designer Jacques Heim, were in competition in the early 1940s to produce the world's smallest swimsuit; a truly noble design battle if ever there was one
    3. Reard reportedly had noticed women in St. Tropez rolling up their bathing suits in an attempt to get a better tan
    4. The name "bikini" came to Reard following US post-World War II atomic tests on the South Pacific Bikini atoll
    5. Initially banned in Catholic countries, the bikini craze as a fashion statement is widely credited to Bridgette Bardot in the 1957 film "And God Created Woman."
... exhibit A:
Mr T say,

Ah jest luuuvve the home cookin' and dey fringed mountainous atoll! :)
Last edited by puurri on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Majuro, the capital atoll is an odd place. A lot of US reparation money around the place after the Castle Bravo shot on Bikini and unspeakable human radiation exposure tests. One half of the island the locals wear baseball shirts and compete at the bowling alley's Happy Days style while on the other the locals live in a subsistence style village environment. Go and visit those guys if you get there, that's where the surf is as well.