shark fatality @ Ballina

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm

vb wrote:"Hero'' does get a workover in the (sporting) press but unlike "champion'', "conqueor'', "exemplar'' or even "paladin'' it's a four-letter word that sits easy in a three or four-deck headline.
Don't think it stretches any credibilty to describe Brock Curtis-Mathew as a genuine one
ROFLCOPTER PALADIN

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:31 am

Revolution wrote:Was out today with this young fella fresh in my mind ... felt something nip at my leg (musta been a lil fishy) and i shat myself bus rode in and moved to a new beach :oops:
was the first out at longy this morning, well before sun up in the murky dawn .... so we all know longy is not known for sharks but .... just as the sun's coming up, sitting out there alone, first the bait fish roll through and a couple of minutes later a school of bigger fish ... I don't know fish :?: :? but they were silver, about a foot or more long and mullet shaped, and were jumping .... I was taking off on the edge of a rip so the waters moving around the fish are jumping around me the sands moving around so I couldn't see through the water and all I could think about was this thread and that poor kid and his family .... it was all freaking me out a bit for a while until a few others paddled out .....

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:37 am

That would be Tailor. Heaps of them about.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 am

More likely salmon Kreepy, been quite a few of the fat buggers along the DY-Longy stretch last few days. Though there have also been some rat kings among em too. And sambos are a preferred food of juvenile great whites on east coast :shock: .

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:35 am

Surfin Turf wrote:so we all know longy is not known for sharks but

Dunno Turf. According to some fishing columns I've read in the Sunday papers, quite a few Tigers have been seen around Longy.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 am

kreepykrawly wrote:That would be Tailor. Heaps of them about.
.... I didn't think it was because they were swimming around a lot calmer than how I normally see tailor going through the schools of little bait fish and they were jumping a lot and looked sort of un-co when they jumped ... but like I said I'm not up on my fish .... :?
BA wrote:According to some fishing columns I've read in the Sunday papers, quite a few Tigers have been seen around Longy.
great :shock: .... thanks for that .... well at least it's Friday tomorrow ... I never surf longy under 4' on a Friday ....

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:58 am

Yep long time ago now but in the 60s and early 70s Longy was a hotspot for gamefishers after sharks. Addled brain seems to remember a world record mako taken only a few kays off the tip plus some pretty damn big noahs of other species weighed in on gamefish club point scoe days. Longy's reef formations extend a fair way east and sharks known to follow those depth changes inshore from their haunts out on the shelf.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Should be a bit quieter tomorrow morning after this thread :shock:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
....and they were jumping a lot and looked sort of un-co when they jumped ... but like I said I'm not up on my fish .... :?

If they jumped as you describe then they're MULLET. (tend to leap unco manner then flop back tail entering the water first).

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:41 pm

puurri wrote:
Surfin Turf wrote:
....and they were jumping a lot and looked sort of un-co when they jumped ... but like I said I'm not up on my fish .... :?

If they jumped as you describe then they're MULLET. (tend to leap unco manner then flop back tail entering the water first).
Reminds me of Collaroy about 10 years ago on a calm overcast Autumn day. While I was waiting at the point for a wave I noticed the sea come alive 150 metres northeast as scores of tailor arrived.

Then I witnessed a guy paddle a longboard out from the shore to the middle of the melee and toss in a fishing line while straddling his board :!: :shock:

He caught plenty. I think I read somewhere that George Greenough used to perform similar stunts.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:33 pm

puurri wrote:If they jumped as you describe then they're MULLET. (tend to leap unco manner then flop back tail entering the water first).
exactly ... must've been mullet then .... is that what sharks like to chase... :?:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Okay. I'm saying this once, and once only. There are sharks in the ocean. Everyone should quit surfing and take up golf. Especially you blokes on the Northern Beaches.

You have been warned.

I however will continue to surf as I have balls the size of two coconuts. 8)

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:55 pm

BA wrote: I have balls the size of two coconuts. 8)
elephantitus ... :?:

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:40 pm

The man in grey suit cleared out the comp @ Margarets today as well.

http://www.aspworldtour.com/2007/news_s ... code=10462

I'd get those cags seen to BA - the boardie rash would be horrendous :shock: