Kurungabaa

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Larry
barnacle

Re: Kurungabaa

Post by Larry » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Howabout you put up some of your stuff pusser, lets have a squiz at what you can do so we can a reply in kind - enough of this one out stuff.

can you manage it ?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Dean Dampney is a what?? A Rennie Ellis social realism clone?

Oh yeah....

There are photos of Mick Mackie in his shaping bay, Owl Chapman, plus a swag of Dean's fave surfers and characters. They're great B&W photos, but he's a social realism clone?

And Keiron Lewis is an 'Echo Beach' clone?

Dick said WHAT now?

I've heard it said that a genius is someone who makes something hard to understand easy to understand. What does that make someone who does the opposite?

Happy to discuss Puurri but please don't lord your superior intellect over me. You know, by citing cryptic references and obscure figures like you do with others on here.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:50 pm

Larry wrote:Howabout you put up some of your stuff pusser, lets have a squiz at what you can do so we can a reply in kind - enough of this one out stuff.
can you manage it ?
Dunnit; and the oral (interview)text was edited somewhat from abt 5000 words to what passed for "acceptable" for the audience(s).
I don't care, you don't care, FFS who cares??

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:30 am

well done then, but where is it mate ?

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:17 am

Once again I got my surprise packet (delivered to my outlaws) on the weekend.

Congrats to Al, Stu and Clif for another brilliant publication. 8)
Never cease to amaze me with the quality of articles, great read 8) 8)
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 am

puurri wrote:Dunnit; and the oral (interview)text was edited somewhat from abt 5000 words to what passed for "acceptable" for the audience(s).
Ha ha, it all makes sense now!!

Oh yes Puurri...those snide remarks you make after each issue, the ongoing put-downs of what we've done at Kurungabaa, and it's simply because your interview was edited! (I interviewed Puurri as an aside to my Cape Solander story in Issue Two)

You really are petty aren't you? After all the lofty cultural references that you spout you can't even get past your own ego. For Christ sake mate, you spoke into that dictaphone for over an hour, and half of one story made sense. I transcribed the lot and it read like 1000 of your Realsurf posts tacked end to end - who the hell is gonna read that?

I salvaged what I could and swore I'd conduct personality tests before putting myself in that situation again.

Mr T say: 'Get over it fool'

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 am

sucked in.... :lol: :lol:

tetchy, tetchy. BTW how did Lucky Al go with Dootch Kennedy and the community?

FWIW folks I used to do some bits but they're out of date and off the net (at least I can't find many) and I get bored shitless without baldric and kakes around. (sob) At least Iggy, Daryl, Luck Al, SS and Laz are still here for the RS cryptic crosswords.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

puurri wrote:sucked in.... :lol: :lol:

tetchy, tetchy. BTW how did Lucky Al go with Dootch Kennedy and the community?

FWIW folks I used to do some bits but they're out of date and off the net (at least I can't find many) and I get bored shitless without baldric and kakes around. (sob)
You'll find 'em on Ozisurfing Forums, puurri.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:24 am

The NSW Uni labelled envelope sat on the kitchen bench for a few days - though it was some alumni rubbish. Nice surprise.
So far have read Brisicks piece, she hawke's, deep water, Nick's cheese and started with Webber's.
She Hawke's was great, local geography always adds to a story.
Read deep water just before nodding off, nice tight piece - loved it, Longinious - that you?.
Larry - was that you with the ulladulla yarn?
Tend to agree with purri's assessment of the Webber piece, but Im only half way through - seems like he's searching for connections that arent there - maybe just too esoteric for a down the line engineer.

Thanks - this one will do the rounds.
the dreams that stuff was made of

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:21 am

Stu, Clif, Al,

Legends.

Nothing quite like it. Long may it reign.

One of these for each of you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:47 pm

murrum wrote: Longinious - that you?.
lol, yeah thats me. Very happy to have made the cut in the mag to be honest, there are some great pieces in there.

Some great imagery as well. Good to see art and other mixed media in there with the photograpahy as well.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:37 pm

thinking of anyone in particular Won?

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:23 pm

guilty murrum, that's me middle name

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:56 pm

so where's your shit ron ? I'm running on empty

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Cliff
With regards to the Cronulla riot story, I think you did a great academic analysis of it (i have to admit i'm only part way through it). however there are a few things that came to mind.
Thing is I grew up in Cronulla and remember the gangs from western Sydney catching the train and the fear everyone had of them.
The bashings and "rollings" (getting your wallet and shoes stolen).
Guys getting boards thrown out the train doors... etc
Colour gangs.
Police worried about a train leaving Revesby packed with Middle Eastern appearing men on the way to Cronulla.
My mates dad was a cop and they were sh!t scared of them.
The Sutherland shire leader newspaper stories about violence and colour gangs.
Anyone remember colour gangs of the 90's? The ones that pretended to be American gangsters?

I think this had a lot to do with the build up to the Cronulla riots.
But is never mentioned in any media piece.
I wonder why no one ever mentions the colour gangs in their analysis of the lead up to that embarrassing day.

Another thought which has occured to me is the reminants of barbed wire fencing around cronulla point. Back in the world war days the point was surrounded by star pickeds concreted into the sandstone to protect the town from invaders.
you can still see the evidence of this allong the rocks if you look for rusty mounds sticking about an inch out of the rock.
also going back to earlier times are the fort posts and duggouts of wollongong, bare island, la perouse, north head and newcastle.
some to protect us from invading russians, or later the germans and japs.

Peter Bowles stories balcony and the one with the green speedwell bicycle on the cliff top were awesome, i read those on the karungabaa.net though.
what issue were they in?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 pm

I forgot to add stuey, i wish i could share karungabaa with more of my mates.
Its awesome, but sadly know that not many of them will be bothered or pick up some of my enthusiasm emailing them asking them to contribute.
I hope those i anoyingly wrote emails and facebook notes to, check your website sometime and become as hooked as i am.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Those two were never in an issue marcus, just on the website.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:46 pm

marcus wrote:Cliff
With regards to the Cronulla riot story, I think you did a great academic analysis of it (i have to admit i'm only part way through it). however there are a few things that came to mind.
Thing is I grew up in Cronulla and remember the gangs from western Sydney catching the train and the fear everyone had of them.
The bashings and "rollings" (getting your wallet and shoes stolen).
Guys getting boards thrown out the train doors... etc
Colour gangs.
Police worried about a train leaving Revesby packed with Middle Eastern appearing men on the way to Cronulla.
My mates dad was a cop and they were sh!t scared of them.
The Sutherland shire leader newspaper stories about violence and colour gangs.
Anyone remember colour gangs of the 90's? The ones that pretended to be American gangsters?

I think this had a lot to do with the build up to the Cronulla riots.
But is never mentioned in any media piece.
I wonder why no one ever mentions the colour gangs in their analysis of the lead up to that embarrassing day.
Marcus - I used to catch a train to Cronulla from outside the Shire and used to know a bit about those gangs you were referring too. I was lucky cause surfers never used hassle me, and the gangsters didn't as we knew some from around the way. Anyway, i'm not keen on derailing this thread with tales of confrontation, but will let you know some stories if you want to discuss elsewhere.
If it feels good, do it.