Kurungabaa

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:27 am

And just to fill in the gaps for you Dae:

The self-help book is a history of the Land Titles Office Parchments to Passwords. Not very exciting, eh?

The Koran is my 2006 wave diary in photos. Twas a vintage year for me. It may be looked upon in 2000 years as a holy book.

And here's a question for you Dae......where the hell are you?

This is an edit. A FUCKEN BIG EDIT aimed squarely at the goober above me. Ja, I'm torkin' bout yoo Neek Carroll. Kraftwerk are brilliant. Cold and devoid of emotion sure, but they sing love songs about cars, and calculators, and computers. How can you not like that?

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:59 am

Check the mailing address for my copy of the mag :wink:

Though today I spent Bastille Day in Paris. Walked under the Eiffel Tower that was the scene of a massive concert later, not that I had any idea it'd be on, saw it on the tele :roll: Doesn't matter 'cause most French 'pop' stars are shit and that English poof was there as well.
Instead I watched a show called Intervilles, it's an absolute farrrkn corker of a show. It's pretty much the It's a Knockout format, but they have bulls. Only little tackers with taped up horns, but they still have horns and at least a few times during the show the poor buggers in each team have to stand there and cop bull head to the lower half of their bodies. Oh how I p*ssed myself watching that show while all the little proud Parisiens ran around p*ssing in their own pants pointing at fireworks. Free hotel wifi is why I'm on here now :)

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 am

You get around more than the Beach Boys don't you?

I think we should tag you like a Great White so we can monitor your movements. All in the name of science.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:28 am

2nd Reef wrote: I hope all the pilgrims in Sydney heard it too.
Such synchroncity, never ceases to amaze me what ends up in the e-mail...

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:28 am

Larry wrote:squid, chookie, chonie, baldric, stuey, touchie, uther, flatrocker, filthbarrel, zeds, howtheycome and howtheygo -
well Larry...it would seem that your (or whoever runs it) pelican website has summoned up the dead... :lol:

apparently I have inadvertently contributed to that site recently and upon investigation was led back here where I found the answer to my puzzlement (and no...the answer wasn't 42).... :? :cry: :oops: :shock:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:58 pm

baldric wrote:
Larry wrote:squid, chookie, chonie, baldric, stuey, touchie, uther, flatrocker, filthbarrel, zeds, howtheycome and howtheygo -
well Larry...it would seem that your (or whoever runs it) pelican website has summoned up the dead... :lol:

apparently I have inadvertently contributed to that site recently and upon investigation was led back here where I found the answer to my puzzlement (and no...the answer wasn't 42).... :? :cry: :oops: :shock:
welcome back baldric

hey 2nd reef, has issue no3 come out yet? or has the postman pinched it?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:14 pm

The postman hasn't pinched it Marcus.

Lucky Al - who does the layout - was 'interupted' during the production of this issue. I might let Al elaborate if he sees this thread.

Anyway, he sent me the files last night so it'll be getting printed and bound this week. Apologies to all who have been waiting....

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Ahem, I would like to apologise to Kurungabaa contributors and subscribers for being so late with this issue. I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. The thing is I get cold feet sometimes and wake up with a sinking feeling every morning and can't do anything worthwhile for weeks on end. Pathetic. Luckily it doesn't last forever. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing a shot of a box full of Kurungabaa on Stu's floor with books and albums carefully set up in the background very soon, and we're looking for contributions to our fourth issue which will (yes it will) come out in January.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Baldric, the boy bastard from the bush .. now where the feck is Stuey ?

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:22 pm

Larry wrote:Baldric, the boy bastard from the bush .. now where the feck is Stuey ?
hehehehe.....'fraid not Larry....unlike your joint....there was never any confusion around my place on father's day... :shock: :P

as fer stuey....funnily enough I had a night on the turps with him down here in mexico city last week... :shock: :twisted:

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Trust that old shitweed to go latin for bent audits, and how's the belly Baldric ? Still over the limit ?

I recollect a pic of you sat flat on the sand at Tabourie looking like a fatman building sandcastles - geez, but they were the days weren't they.

Pity isn't it that the youth who populate this joint lately are on the poor side of bastardry -

Tell him hullo, that bad old spanky bastard, tell him thanks

pete

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:29 am

2nd reef, I'm not sure how you are planning on topping a picture with a tracks (newspaper, mind you), Kraftwerk and Iggy and the Stooges albums lazily strewn across the floor. Maybe a closer shot of the book shelves in the background so you can show off your copies of Dostoyevsky, Russian poetry anthologies, high philosophy treatises and 'Mad' magazines collection, just to help define new radical chic cool.

You should do a piece for Home Beautiful or similar :lol: :lol: 8)

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 pm

yeah Larry....fark the latte set 6 pack....I'm more than happy carryin' round me keg... :roll:

surprised ya were able ta recognise anything in that Tabourie pic...I guess ya musta seen it after ya had the cataracts removed and got that hearing aid installed....I'm surmising that ya must've used the rest of your pension to buy a new pair of reading glasses, though I'm surprised they make them with hubble-like magnification... :lol:

as for the lack of bastardry in here since earlier times....'tis definitely a few degrees closer to a genteel place...suited more to high tea and cucumber sandwiches rather than a beer and a brawl....

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Kurungabaa

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:00 am

we've just sent our fourth issue (vol. 2 no. 1) to the printer. i'm pretty excited about the cover - the painting is wyewurk by garry shead.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:21 am

hmmm, got cut off. let's see if i can get the front cover up, just a sec.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:59 am

I should have put this up the other day but got caught up in stuff:

Kurungabaa Vol. 2 No. 1 Contents

Introduction
Hola! from Chile

Images
Dean Dampney
Garry Shead

Story/Reflection/Essay
The Witness – Peter Bowes
Pete – Cyrill Lachauer
Dino’s Left – Niega
So Kaena Point – Drew Kampion
Clarity – Tom Mahony
What It Feels Like for a Girl – Karen de Perthius
Ghosts – Craig Baird
The Point – Mike Buckley
Surfing at Wyewurk – Joseph Davis
My Life as a Surf Cult – Mark Sutherland
The Three Men from the Future – Adam Matthews
Whiff – Jamie Brisick
Musica Surfica – Mick Sowry
Older Surfers, Newer Discourses – Mark Cherry
Gener-AL HUNT-er and Collector – Paul Scott
Doomed to the Dept of Cheese? – Nick Carroll
Beaching Water: 1975 to 2007 – She Hawke
Shark Island Pits and Safety Nets: The Cronulla Race Riot – Clifton Evers
Yellow Poet Hard Hat Gunna Be A Plumber On The Cover Of Centrelink Magazine – Steve Devas
Nation, Country and Indigenous Surfing – Colleen McGloin
Waiting for the Tide, Tuning in the World – Ama no Isobue: Soundscape of Abalone Diving Women – Kumi Kato
Surfism: a Model of Spatio-Temporal Perception – Daniel Webber
Reflections on Surf Tourism in the Mentawai Islands – Glen Reeves
Deep Water – Adam Waldie

Interview
Kieron ‘Seamouse’ Lewis – Satch

Poetry
Exfoliations – Rebecca Olive
Surfing Kalihiwai – ku’ualoha ho’omanawanui
Kalihi Kai – ku’ualoha ho’omanawanui
Waiting for Windows – Peter Fritzler
Madame La Faille of Punaauia – Dina El Dessouky
Higher Education – Dina El Dessouky
On the Sea – John Keats

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:20 pm

It's back from the printers!

112 pages of surf writing without a single ad. Subscribe here. Blog here.

My copy heading for it's new home...

Taking it's rightful place.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Bit of a "curate's egg" if you ask moi

1. Seamouse: "echo beach" clone.

2. Dampney: Rennie Ellis "social realism" clone.

3.Karen de Perthuis: excellent but is her name a pun?

4. Devas: highly original

5. "Dina el Sulky" : well yes, um, um. (go direct to ABC1 arts show and frot up with Marieke Hardy).

6. Davis/ Wyewurk: to the point. highly evocative.

7. Brisick: several condensed delusional (auto) biographies. BTW a VW has the engine at the back. FFS what were you on?

8. She Hawke: best by far

9. McGloin: "upstairs talking abt downstairs" (ref. Djon Mundine). N.B. It's her frocking Ph.D. thesis FFS. Does it need air FFS?

10. Webber: an unmitigated multi faceted MEGAWANK.

11. Waldie: breath of fresh air after the WEBBER one above.

Happy to discuss.