I love my Stand-Up Paddle Board!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lostman
charger

I love my Stand-Up Paddle Board!

Post by lostman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am

I just love it!!!
The feeling I get standing out the back eyeing off approaching sets makes me feel like an ancient Hawaiian King. I love the general goodwill in the water towards me whenever I paddle out. I love the fact that I can take any wave I want (and I always do). I love fading old guys on their longboards. I love running over annoying speedbumps (shortboarders). The terror in the eyes of the swimmers as I approach the shorebreak at top speed and totally out of control, gee I love that!
I ride a stand up paddle board and I am a wanker!!
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am

this is going to end in tears

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: I love my Stand-Up Paddle Board!

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 am

lostman wrote:I love running over annoying speedbumps (shortboarders). The terror in the eyes of the swimmers as I approach the shorebreak at top speed and totally out of control, gee I love that!
have you considered trying out as a sweep in a surf boat crew .... you're probably just the sort of person they're looking for .... :wink:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 am

See what I mean? The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: I love my Stand-Up Paddle Board!

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:51 am

lostman wrote:I just love it!!!
The feeling I get standing out the back eyeing off approaching sets makes me feel like an ancient Hawaiian King. I love the general goodwill in the water towards me whenever I paddle out. I love the fact that I can take any wave I want (and I always do). I love fading old guys on their longboards. I love running over annoying speedbumps (shortboarders). The terror in the eyes of the swimmers as I approach the shorebreak at top speed and totally out of control, gee I love that!
You sold me on this Lostie! I'm gonna get one......well they are great for the abs and that's important when I take my shirt off at the next thumping pumping dance party. Brilliant!!!!

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:52 am

No, but I have recently started to wear speedos that I like to pull up my crack as far as I can..
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 am

Ya had me going there for about the first line :lol:

Will be interesting to see how long the interest in SUP lasts...

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 am

RickyG wrote:
Will be interesting to see how long the interest in SUP lasts...
*crossed fingers* hopefully not much longer

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:35 am

Damn SUPers, kooks the lot of em, [best Ted Bullpit voice] "someone should blow SUPers up"[/best Ted Bullpit voice]

I've noticed they are multiplying down at DY ---> greeeeaaaatttt :x :x

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Can even drop in on them with the risk of being run over by the equivalent of a mac truck (fat guy steering the thing to boot).

If the kook cant get near enough to you .. he has a long stick to smack ya with :evil:

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:See what I mean? The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.
That old saw.

I really hate that saying. IMHO, it is one of the most untrue things ever said about surfing. It's just a way for self-deluded old farts to justify their ineptitude.

The best surfer in the water is the one that is surfing the best. Full stop. Fun, while an admirable pursuit, does not equal ability, SUPs being a outstanding case in point.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

I just don't get it :?: Why would you want to lug one around, bother to paddle out with an oar and where the hell do you put it when you get home and what if you live in a unit. That's not counting the fact that you look like a dick :?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:13 pm

bahahahahaha :lol:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:15 pm

Spoon wrote:I just don't get it :?: Why would you want to lug one around, bother to paddle out with an oar and where the hell do you put it when you get home and what if you live in a unit. That's not counting the fact that you look like a dick :?
I struggle to work that out too, but in the spirit of 'to each their own' I'm holding fire (for now at least :lol: ) Anyways, as a bodyboarder in the '80s and (mostly) longboarder since the mid-late '90s I've copped my share of crap.

I guess the speed and glide would be the main thing, but having a paddle and using it to lever in turns, etc? dunno about the value in that

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 pm

RickyG wrote:Will be interesting to see how long the interest in SUP lasts...
I thought that about mals in the '90's .... and we know how that turned out ...

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
RickyG wrote:Will be interesting to see how long the interest in SUP lasts...
I thought that about mals in the '90's .... and we know how that turned out ...
bullfarkenshit, just wanted to say that :D I think they might go the way of the windsurfers, sTurf. You know, few years council clean ups.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Having recently seen the popularity of the SUP in Hawaii I am greatly concerned that this fad still has a long way to go.
The difference over there is the SUP is ridden in real waves by surfers who can actually ride them - well!
It's quite staggering to see a local paddle in to a 3x overhead wave on an 11'6" SUP and casually whip that board in a tight snap in the pocket like they were on a 6'0'. Having room to move on a wave helps when your board is that big. Its still pretty funny/scary when they get cleaned up though!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:38 pm

grazza wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:See what I mean? The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.
That old saw.

I really hate that saying. IMHO, it is one of the most untrue things ever said about surfing. It's just a way for self-deluded old farts to justify their ineptitude.
Oh grazza, NO!! How can you!

Thousands of retro-embracing, guitar-picking, emotionally open, Sea-Shepherd-car-stickered, Jack-listening Soul Surfers will be bursting into tears at your heartlessness. You c**t.