its been asked before, why the steamers in summer????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steamers in summer are good because....

im a pussy
43%
im a pussy
14%
ive got extra large testicles that get cold easily
43%

Total votes: 7

Jimi
Local

its been asked before, why the steamers in summer????

Post by Jimi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:57 pm

this question gets a run every year, so here it is again.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:23 pm

1. Skin cancer. Often i hear of people using them because they protect from sun better than anything else.

2. Comfort, my long sleeve springy is far more comfortable than a pair of boardies that'll gimme a rash.

3. Its cold.

boogarist
Grommet

Post by boogarist » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 pm

because of the large salmon that rome these regions. They chew through your skin.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 am

Sunburn

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:28 am

Because you are embarrassed by your small nipples.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:41 am

Alternatively why do people surf bare back in the middle of summer given the warnings in relation to the dangers of skin cancer?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 am

Natho wrote:Alternatively why do people surf bare back in the middle of summer given the warnings in relation to the dangers of skin cancer?
In 1 of my jobs a kid came in with skin deep tanned and some growth, fainted when he saw the surgeon with his horse needle :shock: .

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:35 am

It's cold here in summer, I wear a short arm long leg in summer cause boardies make me shiver after about 10 minutes sitting waiting for a set and drains my energy and performance.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:48 am

a good rash vest and long boardies will protect you well .... however most sydney surfers a whiney little baby whimps who need their nana blanket and woolly socks ... sure the water temp in sydney has dropped a degree in the last week but why would you want to burden yourself with a wetsuit when it's still summery is beyond me :?: .... I love the winter swells and fewer crowds but try and stay out of wetsuit as long as possible .... it makes me wonder what these blanky boys do in winter ... wear two steamers :?: or stay home and crochet another nana blanket :?:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:56 am

Probably because a wetsuit is so much more comfortable than a drag arse pair of board shorts that catch on your knees every time you get up and chaff your thighs.

Natho has asked the really pertinent question, why would you let yourself fry in the sun rather than wear a long sleeve rashie.

Answer, because so many surfers are fashion victims and tools who are more concerned about looking cool than doing what they are comfortable with or what even a brain dead mongoose would know is the right thing to do, even if it means they will fry like a sausage on the barbie.

There are many reasons why someone would wear a steamer in autumn. There are no reasons why a person would subject themselves to any more sunburn then they absolutely must.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 am

oldman wrote:so many surfers are fashion victims and tools who are more concerned about looking cool
And being cool :lol:

p.s I wear a steamer when ever possible and never ever wear boardies cause I get a rash on me nuts, and if you put vas on your nuts in boardies it ends up all over the board, where as with a wetty it's fine
p.p.s I love vas'ing up me nuts :D
p.p.p.s where's me blanky, I wanna have me nanna nap :x
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 pm

munch wrote: And being cool :lol:
I had that in my first draft and then dropped it munch. You must have picked that one up from the ether.

boogarist
Grommet

Post by boogarist » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 pm

munch wrote:
oldman wrote:so many surfers are fashion victims and tools who are more concerned about looking cool
And being cool :lol:

p.s I wear a steamer when ever possible and never ever wear boardies cause I get a rash on me nuts, and if you put vas on your nuts in boardies it ends up all over the board, where as with a wetty it's fine
p.p.s I love vas'ing up me nuts :D
p.p.p.s where's me blanky, I wanna have me nanna nap :x
ur so gay.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:13 pm

the the question asker: why the fuck does it matter to you what other people wear?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:13 pm

a long sleeve rashie keeps the sunburn away, actually havnt really had any sunburn this entire summer, so a steamer isnt gonna help keep the sun off as long as I get the rashie and suncream out.
Dont know about about you guys but the comfort factor is exactly why I dont wear a steamer as much as I can. More paddle power. Even the super ultra airlite flex 100 stretch-a-mile neoprene isnt as comfortable and flexible as a thin long sleeve rashie.
had a new pair of boardies all summer, 35 bucks from Myer, and they dont rash me one bit, stoked with them, never will i pay 80 bucks for a pair that chaffe.
Bring on the warm water of March-April

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Am I the only one that feels that having a wetty on gives you more paddling power because there is more surface area to use for stroking as well as the added buoncy from the wetsuit :idea: :?:

Whenever I go into rashy or boradies I feel like something's missing, because I hardly get out of a wetty :roll: , but also feel less paddling power :idea: Maybe I just feel like there's less power but there is actually more :?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:47 pm

I was going to say
1. Bluebottles
2. They only surf 12 times a year and only own 'fashion style' boardies and dont want to get wax on them

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 pm

wanto wrote:the the question asker: why the fuck does it matter to you what other people wear?

Saved me saying it Wanto. Who really gives a fruck. I don't tend to look at guys at the beach. I often wonder why women just don't go naked though.