Wheels

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

wanto
barnacle

Wheels

Post by wanto » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm

It hasn't been done for a while and i'm constantly looking for something to replace my aging pajero.

what's the most practical surf wagon? what have you had? what would you get?

some features to consider: Fuel Economy, ability to lock up a 7'+ board, ability to fit numerous boards, some clearance for off roading.

ps: lidders stfu i know you can fit 5 skinny emo kids and 5 lids in one charade.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 pm

suck a dick ...

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:16 pm

That would only get him a can of petrol :shock:

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:17 pm

any of the Subi's would be a good buy.. reliable, well built, comfortable and only a four banger so fuel economy isn't too bad (except they're full-time 4wd's)..

Measure the inside of an Outback or Forrester to see if your boards will fit.

Edit: Actually, if you are open to low volume imports you should checkout the Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear.. they're a great car/van/4wd.. Have a look on youtube for a sample of their 4wd abilities (I found some clips of a Delica towing a landrover out of trouble :shock: ) They're Turbo Diesels and based on the Mitsubishi triton 4x4 running gear, with the body being straight off a Starwagon (except the bumpers).. great cars with excellent features/extras..

2nd Edit.. Here's some pics:

Last edited by spongeInside on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mozzquito

Post by mozzquito » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:27 pm

07 Turbo Diesel Pathfinder

unlike the Prado all mid and back (its 7 seater) seats lie down flat - easy fit 7' and a quiver, have slept in the back of mine a few times - plenty of space, common rail so plenty of grunt - get about 10-11l per 100km on the highway

not a city mind you, but then neither is the Pajero

MrLewis
Grommet

Post by MrLewis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Hey Wanto,

Sorry -a bit off topic -but I've recently become the owner of an old (92) Pajero - great surf wheels and all I can afford for now. Is yours old, and how did it fair?

My main question is can you recommend a Northern Beaches (or reasonably close to the area) mechanic that is good for old 4WDs esp Pajeros? I hear its good to have someone that knows them particularly well, rather than my usual all round mechanic. Just realized I'm assuming you're in NB area - please ignore if you're not.

As for a new car - depends what you wanna spend I suppose. If you don't go for another tank, then yeah, those Forresters and Outbacks look pretty good.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Less chance of rusting out??

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 pm

lewis,

mines 92, and apart from the rust everything that has gone wrong with it is normal wear and tear albeit a bit early due to my driving technique.

have only had to replace the shocks, tyres and breaks since i got it and the clutch will need doing soon. the only real gripe is the petrol, which comes in at roughly 14L per 100km (85L=600km).

personally i'd like to downsize a little so i'm not pulling around 50 tonnes of metal everywhere i go. i've had a subaru liberty and it was better on the fuel, but still thirsty (10L=100km roughly). have been thinking of a magna wagon and possibly giving it a small lift kit for clearance.

oh, and i use a 4x4 mechanic in mona. he comes and picks my car up and drops it off, which is very handy. pm for phone no.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:58 pm

I got a 2001 Forester as a surfing car, it can carry a 7'0" inside no sweat and have packed 18 boards in there without busting a gut, easily drag around three of 'em with one back seat down. Pitiful 2l four cylinder engine, oh what a shame I can't chuck wheelies and wear the tyres out, but it drives to Qld with ease and is typically subaruish (ie doesn't screw up for no reason), and the petrol bill is as low as you could get for a surf car.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

what kinda mileage do you get NC? i'm assuming 10L=100km? and how many times have you replaced the CVs?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Sorry about your penis..

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:13 pm

The ONLY surfing Jallopy, 1990 Toyota Camry wagon. 8)

Who needs ground clearance :shock:
Can take as many boards as you want to stuff in it :lol:
Can be parked ANYWHERE, no worries about dents/scratches/bird shit :wink:
Can and has been driven anywhere :P

(Has broken down once or twice, but who's counting :oops: RV :twisted: )

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Butts wrote:(Has broken down once or twice, but who's counting :oops: RV :twisted: )
I can’t count.

One from the dead centre of town...

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:24 pm

wanto wrote:what kinda mileage do you get NC? i'm assuming 10L=100km? and how many times have you replaced the CVs?
I've got a newer and different 2.5l sube and it gets 10L/100km with a roof boot (at a guess this adds 5%) and air con (this can add up the 15%) doing a coastal trip. Off peak in the city (like sub 90's) I can get in the low 8's if I really try and peak hour it can get as high as 12 :(
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Don't get all that wanky 4WD crap mate. You don't need anything that is going to slurp fuel by the bucketload and corner like a container ship, there are plenty of other cars that will do the job.

I've got a Mazda6 Luxury Sports, awesome car, great economy, goes well, corners like it is on rails and it will swallow a 7' board with no problems.

Get the one with the lift-back (not the boot) or the Sports Wagon. The rear-seats fold down using a simple lever and with the removable parcel shelf taken out you'll fit a ton of stuff in there.

The new model is out now too so you'll be able to find a good bargain in the classifieds.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:34 pm

I have a Subi too (2001). very good car. Enough clearance for those tracks Wanto. And plenty of room to put boards and sleep inside. I loooooove it. Even though it looks like a family car. I just got an ord. 4 litre motor. Not turbo crap and leather. It is a good simple surf car, and no mech. problems yet at all (knock on wood).

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm

How long's your boards :twisted:

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:02 pm

98 camry wagon..

4 boards, 4 people in car (only just for 4x25yr olds.. 3 very comfortably - all boards around 6'6-7' and they fit in fine)..

1 tank of fuel got me from sydney to byron, don't know the kms travelled, but its a 65 litre tank.

got it cause its a wagon, toyotas are heaps reliable and they're common enough that parts are cheap..

if it were upto me i'd be going for a liberty wagon or outback (same car, just the outback is a higher off the ground)

there's always roofracks/softracks/occy straps...