SORRY!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:41 am

a momentous day. strong words, big promises.

let's see what comes of it.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 am

I have to say I'm a little ambivalent about the whole thing - which I'm not too happy about, but it's the truth.

Maybe in time we'll be able to look back and see it as the positive turning point we're all hoping for. I guess so much has been said and so much time effort and money spent already - and we're still facing massive social and cultural problems that seem to be as far from being resolved as ever.

But as a positive gesture it can only be a good thing. Now we just need some positive action to follow.

creased
Local

Post by creased » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:20 am

Nelson takes the party line and drags the moment into the mud. :x Little Jonny'd be chuffed

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 am

creased wrote:Nelson takes the party line and drags the moment into the mud. :x Little Jonny'd be chuffed
And abbott's barred up. scum.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:22 am

Not all of the children that were removed from their families were happy with their family, and in a large portion of cases, they were removed to good families and treated well.

And positive action? There has been a lot of positive action in recent times.

To the people that were removed from a loving family and unwittingly tortured, we say sorry.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:22 am

It was very emotional especially at the end of Rudds speech and He did very well.
The Stud started out well but lost it and as a result there was a lot of disapproval amongst those interviewed at Canberra.
At the end of the day it will be a wait and see if the actions mirror the words.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am

On another note I wonder how Howard would be feeling.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:29 am

First: SORRY

second: forget about "the action"; "what comes of it"; etc. It is not about what we want out of this moment, or some rational organisational process.

Let it be, for today ... celebrate. It is a great thing to begin ...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:37 am

Nick-W wrote:Not all of the children that were removed from their families were happy with their family, and in a large portion of cases, they were removed to good families and treated well.

To the people that were removed from a loving family and unwittingly tortured, we say sorry.
Unwittingly tortured.

You just won't see it or read it or anything will you. The removal of "half-caste" children was a deliberate attempt at social engineering based on racial grounds and encouraged by the prejudices of the times. Bite down on it hard. Yeah, that's what it tastes like.

You refuse to see the motive, the historical result, the damage. You defend the utterly indefensible on the spurious grounds that lots of white Australians in the mid 20th century thought it was OK. It wasn't OK then and it bloody well isn't OK now, which is why a lot of Australians of massively varied backgrounds really want to tackle it now, not excuse it.

Just f**ken own it the same way you probably own Anzac Day. And try your best not just to say sorry but to feel it.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:57 am

Well said Nick.
For those of you who have Koori mates or even aquaintances Dont just live vicariously through the PM's words
Say it, SAY SORRY - telephone , text, whatever -send your own message...owning this will take more of a shift in yourself than just feeling good while watching tonights news.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am

don't worry nc, nick-w is a half wit, always has been.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Nick-W wrote:Not all of the children that were removed from their families were happy with their family, and in a large portion of cases, they were removed to good families and treated well.

Unwittingly tortured.

You just won't see it or read it or anything will you. The removal of "half-caste" children was a deliberate attempt at social engineering based on racial grounds and encouraged by the prejudices of the times. Bite down on it hard. Yeah, that's what it tastes like.

You refuse to see the motive, the historical result, the damage. You defend the utterly indefensible on the spurious grounds that lots of white Australians in the mid 20th century thought it was OK. It wasn't OK then and it bloody well isn't OK now, which is why a lot of Australians of massively varied backgrounds really want to tackle it now, not excuse it.

Just f**ken own it the same way you probably own Anzac Day. And try your best not just to say sorry but to feel it.

Not that big on compliments just quietly but well put NC.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am

Well done to Rudd, as a symbolic guesture it is huge and well overdue. I have no problem with a Sorry at all.

Lets hope people see the tone in which it is intended. We have much to be proud of, but also a lot to be less so.

Unfortunatley over here in WA, there seems to be more people anti-sorry than over east. :cry:

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:07 am

^^
Go Nick!

Thought Rudd did really well, especially with his call for bipartisan action to tackle the ongoing problems in Aboriginal affairs.

So significant that the apology happened on the first full day of a new parliament and new government. This, and signing the Kyoto Protocol, has made the change of government worthwhile, whatever happens over the next three years.

Australia is already feeling like a whole new country now that Howard has gone and his legacy is being dismantled.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:13 am

My wife works at Killarney High and if you can believe it they actually had parents ringing yesterday threatening to keep their kids at home if the school was planning anything to do with today :?

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 am

fuck, hope she told them to do what they liked - be a proper name and shame if they followed through, unfortunately their kid would probably be shamed more.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 am

people with qualified 'sorrys' just (Nelson, Nick-w) just give me the sh*ts.

morons.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:25 am

Spoon wrote:My wife works at Killarney High and if you can believe it they actually had parents ringing yesterday threatening to keep their kids at home if the school was planning anything to do with today :?
Not sure if my kids got to got to see it at school today but I hope they did.
Every kid should have seen it. Its history.