SORRY!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 am

sean-- wrote:
Surfin Turf wrote:Chiming in a bit late but non the less ....
mad wrote:The irony is that one of Howards first actions when he first came to power was to dismantle ATSIC and 'assimilate' Aboriginal affairs.

Rudd's first actions is to say Sorry.

We really need this reconciliation as a nation so that we can move forward into our future.
Interesting :? ..... John Howard first said "sorry" in his address at the Reconciliation Conference in 1997 ..... however it's something that can't really be said enough ....
lateralus wrote:But I'll be fcuckedd if I will apologise for something that was done by other people before I was even born
This is a gesture expressing how the majority feels and what the majority would want previous governments to say if they were around to do so ...
ric_vidal wrote:Long, long way to go if you ask me.
True ... but I believe that generation by generation things are heading in the right direction if you consider where things were in the past, and the discussions, debates, rallies, protesting etc. serve well to keep the issues high on the agenda and are a constant education process for the newer and even the older generations ....
Howard said sorry to the stolen generation at the Reconciliation Conference did he ? I dont remember that. I do remember "deep and sincere regret " but not sorry.
Like I said the only time I ever heard Howard say sorry was after the interest rate rise in an attempt to save his political skin.
The prick got what he deserved anyway and the indignity of being only the second PM to lose his own seat.
He was out walking today. Nice to know he's looking after himself with his tax payer funded bodyguard.
yeah ... I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it back then .... but if memories fails his speach has only been played on almost every current affairs type TV and radio programme in the past week or so and he did say the word "sorry".... the difference seems to be that Howard appologised as PM and Rudd appologised on behalf of the parliment ....

Despite Howards speach being re-played so many times recently I suppose that like everything else, if Rudd doesn't say it , no one hears it ...

BTW Sean ... this ain't a debate about Howard and interest rates and he ain't the PM anymore ... and it really isn't a debate anyway's ...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:25 am

Chamberess wrote:I was reading in the paper this morning there was an apparent backlash to Rudd's sorry speech.

Alot of 'white' people are not happy he said it. They have asked why indigenous australians get such ready access to welfare compared to white children in equally disadvantaged situations. Another also asked why Rudd didn't say 'sorry' to the war veterans who helped defend this country against Japan.

I'm not sure if anyone else read about it but what i gathered from it was that there are alot of racist people in Australia even though we pride ourselves as being a multicultural nation.

Does anyone else share this feeling?
I'm surprised that you are surprised. Since when do we pride ourselves on being a multicultural nation? twerent too long ago that 'tolerance' was seen to be the acceptable avenue for progress, ffs, I 'tolerate' a toothache, or a blister from my new shoes, its ridiculous.

There are plenty of racists in Australia, most of them are ignorant arseholes and therefore I dont waste my time on them. I've struggled with trying to become non-racist, I was brought up in a racist household and went to a white christian school in the bible belt that is the hills district, it wasnt until I attended tertiary education that I realised what I was, to this day I struggle with it, 18 years of brainwashing is hard to reverse.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:28 am

Quick question. How many people have met and talked to, or had any personal interaction with people affected by the stolen generation :?:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:41 am

well pointed out smnsnsnsnstl.

theres black, theres white, then theres a sh!te load of grey.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 am

mad wrote:Quick question. How many people have met and talked to, or had any personal interaction with people affected by the stolen generation :?:
There's a bunch of folks that work in the factory where I work who where talking the other day before the speech about their family members who were effected and I was quite surprised to find that so many people had someone in their broader family network who were directly effected ... so none of them were directly effected but were talking about grand parents, parents, aunts and uncles etc. and it was certainly an emotional topic for them .... others at my work didn't really say much at the time and we later remarked that it wasn't really appropriate to chime in and discuss things and we really just listened in to those who wanted to make mention of their particular family situation .... at my work there was a general tools down so everyone to go and watch it ....

At both my daughters schools they were also assembled to watch .... unlike some other schools I believe...

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:52 am

sorry fellas
now how do we fix this?

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:20 am

Surfin Turf wrote:
sean-- wrote:
mad wrote:The irony is that one of Howards first actions when he first came to power was to dismantle ATSIC and 'assimilate' Aboriginal affairs.

We really need this reconciliation as a nation so that we can move forward into our future.
Interesting :? ..... John Howard first said "sorry" in his address at the Reconciliation Conference in 1997 ..... however it's something that can't really be said enough ....
Howard said sorry to the stolen generation at the Reconciliation Conference did he ? I dont remember that. I do remember "deep and sincere regret " but not sorry.
Like I said the only time I ever heard Howard say sorry was after the interest rate rise in an attempt to save his political skin.
The prick got what he deserved anyway and the indignity of being only the second PM to lose his own seat.
He was out walking today. Nice to know he's looking after himself with his tax payer funded bodyguard.
yeah ... I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it back then .... but if memories fails his speach has only been played on almost every current affairs type TV and radio programme in the past week or so and he did say the word "sorry".... the difference seems to be that Howard appologised as PM and Rudd appologised on behalf of the parliment ....

Despite Howards speach being re-played so many times recently I suppose that like everything else, if Rudd doesn't say it , no one hears it ...

BTW Sean ... this ain't a debate about Howard and interest rates and he ain't the PM anymore ... and it really isn't a debate anyway's ...
I think we need to get the history right on this.

At the Reconciliation Conference in 1997 John Howard refused to offer an apology for the stolen generations.

The audience turned their backs on him which really pissed him off.

Check the introduction in this link:

http://www.law.monash.edu.au/castancent ... paper.html

On 8/7/99 the GST bill passed through parliament with the support of the Australian Democrats.

In parliament on 26/08/99 John Howard expresses "deep and sincere regret that indigenous Australians suffered injustices under the practices of past generations, and for the hurt and trauma that many indigenous people continue to feel as a consequence of those practices".

You do the "math" on that one.

If anyone would like to read through the Bringing Them Home Report it can be found on this link:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rs ... oc/stolen/

To answer mad's last question, I've met Lowitja O'Donohue and had the honour of sitting with her in the public gallery during parliament.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 am

mad wrote:Quick question. How many people have met and talked to, or had any personal interaction with people affected by the stolen generation :?:
I haven't talked to anyone about being removed from their family, or anyone who's had someone taken, usually by tricks from what's said on TV :oops: .

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:47 am

There is grey area.
Last edited by kreepykrawly on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:56 am

Boozer wrote:
Surfin Turf wrote:
sean-- wrote:

I think we need to get the history right on this.

At the Reconciliation Conference in 1997 John Howard refused to offer an apology for the stolen generations.

The audience turned their backs on him which really pissed him off.

Check the introduction in this link:

http://www.law.monash.edu.au/castancent ... paper.html

On 8/7/99 the GST bill passed through parliament with the support of the Australian Democrats.

In parliament on 26/08/99 John Howard expresses "deep and sincere regret that indigenous Australians suffered injustices under the practices of past generations, and for the hurt and trauma that many indigenous people continue to feel as a consequence of those practices".

You do the "math" on that one.

If anyone would like to read through the Bringing Them Home Report it can be found on this link:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rs ... oc/stolen/

To answer mad's last question, I've met Lowitja O'Donohue and had the honour of sitting with her in the public gallery during parliament.

Oh F..F..F'ng...S .... :!:

I can look stuff up on the internet too ..... :?

Here's an extract from The Indigenous Law Bulletin and below that is an extract from Howard's speech (that he also gave on TV 2 years later ) .....

If you read what I originally said , Howard was critisised as he said it as PM and not on behalf of Parliment, as did Rudd .... so regardless of how it was not accepted he f'ing said it .... (my math's is fine :wink: )

I still don't get why this is a debate :?: :? ....

Extract ....
The Australian Reconciliation Convention took place from 26 to 28 May 1997, on the traditional land of the Kulin peoples in Melbourne, and was organised by the Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation. The Convention was the most significant gathering of indigenous and other Australians since 1788 and was a profound experience for everyone attending. Over the past few months leading up to the Convention approximately 10,000 people took part in regional meetings and at least 1800 people attended the Convention itself. There was noticeably strong participation from people working in churches, indigenous education, the arts, industry and law, keen to work for solutions together with indigenous people. The diversity of people present revealed an extensive and vocal groundswell within the Australian community against the recent emergence of strident racism in public debate and in government circles.

goes on, then ....

As the Stolen Generations Report was tabled on the first day of the Convention, Commissioners Mick Dodson and Sir Ronald Wilson were able to launch the Report and speak to its contents on the next day. In the face of the Commonwealth Government's refusal to provide compensation, the launch speeches of the Commissioners were momentous and compelling. Sir Ronald made the point that, whatever reasons people had had for being involved in the removal of children, these reasons are not relevant to the finding of genocide - the attempt to destroy a people, a culture. Mick Dodson criticised the 'personal sorry' that the Prime Minister had made on the first day of the Convention saying that this was 'simply not enough' and that, as leader of this nation, he must speak for this nation.

Extract from the speach ....

We are a vibrant and resourceful people. We share a freedom born in the abundance of nature, the richness of the earth, the bounty of the sea. We are the world’s biggest island. We have the world’s longest coastline. We have more animal species than any other country. Two thirds of the world’s birds are native to Australia. We are one of the few countries on earth with our own sky. We are a fabric woven of many colours and it is this that gives us our strength.

However, these achievements have come at great cost. We have been here for 200 years but before that, there was a people living here. For 40,000 years they lived in a perfect balance with the land. There were many Aboriginal nations, just as there were many Indian nations in North America and across Canada, as there were many Maori tribes in New Zealand and Incan and Mayan peoples in South America. These indigenous Australians lived in areas as different from one another as Scotland is from Ethiopia. They lived in an area the size of Western Europe. They did not even have a common language. Yet they had their own laws, their own beliefs, their own ways of understanding.

We destroyed this world. We often did not mean to do it. Our forebears, fighting to establish themselves in what they saw as a harsh environment, were creating a national economy. But the Aboriginal world was decimated. A pattern of disease and dispossession was established. Alcohol was introduced. Social and racial differences were allowed to become fault-lines. Aboriginal families were broken up. Sadly, Aboriginal health and education are responsibilities we have still yet to address successfully.

I speak for all Australians in expressing a profound sorrow to the Aboriginal people. I am sorry. We are sorry. Let the world know and understand, that it is with this sorrow, that we as a nation will grow and seek a better, a fairer and a wiser future. Thank you.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Think it's cos, as you can read in the extract, Howard put qualifications on the apology. As was noted yesterday in this thread Howard was a master at twisting definitions and explanations. This appealed to all the petty, small-minded pollies that laughed at his school-boy antics in Parliament. The result being cynical politics and any real change halted while we bickered over semantics.

He was our leader. We wanted him to speak for us. It was quite OK for him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq on our behalf. But he wouldn't issue a reconcilliation or an unqualified apology on our behalf. Even though the majority of our population were for it.

My contempt for that nasty little man hasn't reached bottom yet. What he did to this country will only become clear once we have the benefit of time to give his legacy perspective.

I was moved to see the photos of the old PM's in the same room yesterday. Old Gough even resting an arm on one time arch-nemesis Malcom Fraser. Bob and Paul sharing a joke. I never wish to see Howard in that company. Let him be remembered the same way that George Bush is gonna be remembered. A leader who brought out the very worst in people. Who ruled by fear and negativity. A misanthropic cycnic who only showed us what we should be scared of rather than the positive change we are capable of.

You might say that Kevin hasn't done anything lasting yet. So f*cken what?! No rational person expected immediate change. It's gonna take time. The seeds however, are planted...

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:48 pm

sorry for what? i didnt do anything.

Thats not to say i wish it had happened.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:Oh F..F..F'ng...S .... :!:

I can look stuff up on the internet too ..... :?

Here's an extract from The Indigenous Law Bulletin and below that is an extract from Howard's speech (that he also gave on TV 2 years later ) .....

If you read what I originally said , Howard was critisised as he said it as PM and not on behalf of Parliment, as did Rudd .... so regardless of how it was not accepted he f'ing said it .... (my math's is fine :wink: )

I still don't get why this is a debate :?: :? ....

Extract ....
The Australian Reconciliation Convention took place from 26 to 28 May 1997, on the traditional land of the Kulin peoples in Melbourne, and was organised by the Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation. The Convention was the most significant gathering of indigenous and other Australians since 1788 and was a profound experience for everyone attending. Over the past few months leading up to the Convention approximately 10,000 people took part in regional meetings and at least 1800 people attended the Convention itself. There was noticeably strong participation from people working in churches, indigenous education, the arts, industry and law, keen to work for solutions together with indigenous people. The diversity of people present revealed an extensive and vocal groundswell within the Australian community against the recent emergence of strident racism in public debate and in government circles.

goes on, then ....

As the Stolen Generations Report was tabled on the first day of the Convention, Commissioners Mick Dodson and Sir Ronald Wilson were able to launch the Report and speak to its contents on the next day. In the face of the Commonwealth Government's refusal to provide compensation, the launch speeches of the Commissioners were momentous and compelling. Sir Ronald made the point that, whatever reasons people had had for being involved in the removal of children, these reasons are not relevant to the finding of genocide - the attempt to destroy a people, a culture. Mick Dodson criticised the 'personal sorry' that the Prime Minister had made on the first day of the Convention saying that this was 'simply not enough' and that, as leader of this nation, he must speak for this nation.

Extract from the speach ....

We are a vibrant and resourceful people. We share a freedom born in the abundance of nature, the richness of the earth, the bounty of the sea. We are the world’s biggest island. We have the world’s longest coastline. We have more animal species than any other country. Two thirds of the world’s birds are native to Australia. We are one of the few countries on earth with our own sky. We are a fabric woven of many colours and it is this that gives us our strength.

However, these achievements have come at great cost. We have been here for 200 years but before that, there was a people living here. For 40,000 years they lived in a perfect balance with the land. There were many Aboriginal nations, just as there were many Indian nations in North America and across Canada, as there were many Maori tribes in New Zealand and Incan and Mayan peoples in South America. These indigenous Australians lived in areas as different from one another as Scotland is from Ethiopia. They lived in an area the size of Western Europe. They did not even have a common language. Yet they had their own laws, their own beliefs, their own ways of understanding.

We destroyed this world. We often did not mean to do it. Our forebears, fighting to establish themselves in what they saw as a harsh environment, were creating a national economy. But the Aboriginal world was decimated. A pattern of disease and dispossession was established. Alcohol was introduced. Social and racial differences were allowed to become fault-lines. Aboriginal families were broken up. Sadly, Aboriginal health and education are responsibilities we have still yet to address successfully.

I speak for all Australians in expressing a profound sorrow to the Aboriginal people. I am sorry. We are sorry. Let the world know and understand, that it is with this sorrow, that we as a nation will grow and seek a better, a fairer and a wiser future. Thank you.
That quote was not from the speech at the Reconciliation Convention to which Dodson referred.

This is the speech:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rs ... howard.htm

Specifically; "However, let me make this clear. Personally, I feel deep sorrow for those of my fellow Australians who suffered injustices under the practices of past generations towards indigenous people. Equally, I am sorry for the hurt and trauma many people here today may continue to feel as a consequence of those practices".

He's sorry they feel that way. Hardly an apology.

Here's all the speeches:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rs ... eeches.htm

And here's the TV interview transcript from 2000:

http://scatt.bilegrip.com/v4n14.htm#Howard

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Boozer wrote
I think if you can personalise it, it puts it all in context and even introduces shades of inadequacy with saying sorry, especially if you understand the significance of family and social structure to Aborigines.

Back in the late '80's my first teaching job was at this place called Jigalong where I met Molly Kelly (from Rabbit Proof Fence fame). She seemed like a sweet old biddy, quite happy for a cuppa, a chat and a joke, but she was something special and her mob knew she was something special. This was before sorry was an issue or Phil Noyce.
I've met other people since. If you get a chance listen to their stories

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:24 pm

^^^ Well put Reefer. I for one am feeling a real sense of optimism for this country. I'm thinking that there's a real possibility that the Rudd government can create a long lost sense of pride in Australia. Time will tell.

And as for YanksRUs (was wondering when you'd stick your head out of your hole), maybe you ought to apologize for being an imbecile. That'd be a start.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:34 pm

yanks r us wrote:sorry for what? i didnt do anything.

Thats not to say i wish it had happened.
:roll:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Boozer wrote: ... blah .... blah .... blah .......
now I'm sorry :roll: ... I'm sorry I had my say ... I started off in a positive vien and now I'm in a debate over which website says what ....

I'm happy to have helped you out though boozer .... ranting on about Howards short comings and my research abilities has obviously been a vent to blow out your steam ....

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 pm

TMC wrote:
Shaunm wrote:Pinhead,
as per Fong's comment & compensation.
Compensation is not just $, returning land is also a form of compensation.
Writing a cheque for $200M would be blood money, and also putting a price on freedom, beliefs, lives etc. Not that it's my place to say but $ could be used to fund housing health education etc improvements. Overseen, said communties manage funds. Encouragement to complete secondary and tertiary education so said people can run those services etc.
But start with returning of land, rights of management of other lands, right of title, and more opportunities for seats in parliment to represent various peoples.
But Shaum the question still stands. at what point do you say enough is enough

Furthermore who is to say what would be suitable compensation?
Nothing is suitable compensation, it's do the best can but my point was you cannot put a price on these things, different to military strategies where acceptable loss comes into it.
This is different to my relo's on Dad's side who didnt have a choice in deciding about coming here, any action would be against the English Govt not Aussie.
War vets whilst not always compensated, have a safety net for health housing and disability payments, etc in place. A big sorry could be offered to Nam vets re treatment upon their return.
As said a big fat cheque - wrong, funds set aside for projects and advancemet - worth a look. (Just my thoughts)

Some a you guys are lucky Puurri's away this week. :twisted: