Surf around Umina

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Patio

Surf around Umina

Post by Patio » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Realsurfers, long time reader, first time poster. I am going up to Umina next month, staying at a caravan park near the beach, for a family get together. I am being volunteered to do learn to surf for the nieces and nephews, ages 14 and under. Anyone know what the surf is like around Umina for the beginner surfer? Would the beach next the van park be suitable, given the surf ain't too large on the day or should we be looking somewhere a little north or south for a nice beginners corner, etc?

Thanks,

Patio

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Should be perfect if theres a little swell about. Do not look too far out to sea on the left or over to your right when on the beach.

Eski
regular

Post by Eski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 am

I think I have stayed at the caravan park your talking about. Been there twice and both times it was dead flat.

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:58 am

i dont think it gets swell unless the direction is perfect - between the headlands..

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 am

Potsie, if there is swell surf it on mid to full tide if you are on a bigger board.
N/E swell doesn't get through usually.
You may see some nice waves inside the head, unless you're super fit and have no fear of sharks forget it.
If it's a massive day you may have to go down the beach to the bend.
Watch out for this guy who's about 70 on a 10' board he's psycho.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 am

Shaunm wrote:Potsie, if there is swell surf it on mid to full tide if you are on a bigger board.
N/E swell doesn't get through usually.
You may see some nice waves inside the head, unless you're super fit and have no fear of sharks forget it.
If it's a massive day you may have to go down the beach to the bend.
Watch out for this guy who's about 70 on a 10' board he's psycho.
What's he look like?

When I've been there it is usually crap , but would suit a learner

Patio

Post by Patio » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like a good spot for the young ones to learn and have some fun. If there is some swell running and I can tire the little buggers out, I might just sneak off to Killcare or somewhere nearby.

Patio

bonka
Grommet

Kilcare

Post by bonka » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 am

If you want to tire them out take them to tallows - its a good day trip. No lifesavers but great if the swell is small. Its one beach south of kilcare in the national park - dirt road access not suitable for a lowered RX8 but the magna got up it without a scrape on Aus day (carpark up the top on the map). Make em surf till they are buggered and then march them back up the hill (pack water). When they turn sixteen they could find themselves hiking up the hill with an esky...

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:29 pm

If umina is flat take them to a little break called Box Head it is great for beginners..... :shock:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 pm

^^^yeah and won't IT be PUMPING if Umina Beach is flat

hey patio Umina is an ideal learner's beach, around 1/2 the size of the open ocean beaches in a ese swell, easy to check, just don't wander too far north.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Austeve he has grey hair (of course) rides a mal, very ungamely on his feet, natural footer and a real cnut. Takes off as it breaks only goes right :shock: and prefers the foam. He will like you up if he sees you, fractured skull (around eye socket) I took home as proof.

As others said, I've been there 50 times and surfed around 10 times. 2'+ and dropping tide go down south as you'll wear too many on the head.

Point down south requires a smaller board or lid and needs a reasonable skill level.

Avoid little box on W/E's too many fools on skis who have limited skill.

If N/E and small/medium go to Terrigal on a mid/full tide (not dropping) or McMasters :lol:

Avoca 1/2 way to shark tower from point may be another option unless tide is full.

(Now I wont be welcome up that way anymore)

Late edition: Watchout for mals, do not drop in unless you wear a helmet.
Some mal riders are good there despite rumours so you dont have as much space as you think, some are crap and cant turn too good amd often land on people.