Wait or is that Weight - I have a problem?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

miami13

Wait or is that Weight - I have a problem?

Post by miami13 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 pm

two years ago i suffered a partially ruptered anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee and endured a layoff from strenuous physical activity for about 8 months. In this period i unfortunately did not adjust my lifestyle and as a result gained about 10 kilos. Now i consider myself reasonably intelligient but it was not until the recent run of good swell that it dawned on me that this extra weight has all but neutralised the effectiveness of my quiver. Looking back it amazes me that i just did not realise that this was the source of 12-15 months of frustrating surfing and a real deterioation in the stoke i get from the ocean.

THe problem i need help with is that i am now 31 and it is proving very difficult to shake that last 5 kilos back to my pre-injury weight. I have tried all the usual methods that have keep me fit in the past to no avail. Any assistance or methods which have worked are most welcome.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 pm

my dog ruptured his cruciate ligament too.
he also surfs.
he rips.
he is also fat.

you two should meet.

now serious.
maybe just get a thicker board till you work em off, do a heap of paddling, yoga, whatever.
or lay off the fatty foods.

but a thicker board for sure.
ask Nick carrol

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Listen Miami13 - Why do you need to ask ? - 31 years old and going public for a 5k weight problem might be a fair indication of your self esteem mate -

Could you please get yourself bloody organised and get the f.ck up out of bed early every day for six months and go running up steep hills in barefeet, or try slogging a few miles up and down in the soft sand of whatever is your closest and longest beach (just keep away from north palm will ya, you will only get in the way)

and give the pies and beer and late night numbers a miss and HARDEN the F.CK UP !!!

or just keep loose, and buy a mal, and get in everyones way, and fatten up, and eat anything, and watch life go by.

31!!?? - What is it with you silly bastards lately, this is no place for serious guidance, and don't ask that fellow from Newport, that sedentary old bastard spends so much time writing his arse is butter

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Larry wrote:and don't ask that fellow from Newport, that sedentary old bastard spends so much time writing his arse is butter
:lol: :lol:

miami13

Post by miami13 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Point taken. But as i said i have been doing all the things that are recommended (eg dietry, exercise. I am back to running my 5 k circuit in similar times to pre-injuryetc) but it is the last 5 kilos which to me makes the boards i have not perform and i am reluctant to replace them. Just thought someone might have experience something similar.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 pm

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/DanmSilverSurferGotFat/

g_u_m_b_y wrote:my dog ruptured his cruciate ligament too.
he also surfs.
he rips.
he is also fat.

you two should meet.
:lol: awww funny stuffffff :lol:

sorry miami.....my honest advice is keep all your old boards but buy a mini mal.....the motivation is too surf the mal enough the weight come off and u can back on ya good boards :idea:

don't give up :!:

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:35 pm

Larry wrote: and HARDEN the F.CK UP !!!

Exactly what I was thinking when reading the title of the thread.

or just keep loose, and buy a mal, and get in everyones way, and fatten up, and eat anything, and watch life go by.

Riding a mal makes baby jesus cry. Or something like that...

31!!?? - What is it with you silly bastards lately, this is no place for serious guidance, and don't ask that fellow from Newport, that sedentary old bastard spends so much time writing his arse is butter

LOR!

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:03 am

That's gold Laz

Exactly right, face facts that your in your 30's bro.
I've done 10 kilos in 7 years and look on the bright side, I,m now a welterweigh who can punch through heavier lips.

And, the older I get the less I actually give a fuck what anyone else thinks about my body image. So long as your fit enough to surf for 6 hrs when it's epic who cares! Harden the fuck up son.

LOL

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:38 am

Lift weights at the gym.

They're good for burning off the fat, just don't overdo it. Smaller weights and more reps means you won't build up too quick but you will trim down.

And as Larry says HARDEN THE FCUK UP!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 am

5 kg, that’s nothing? Unless you are sitting on your board and waterline is up round your neck then I think it might just be your head that is doing you in m13. Meaning, unless the boards were on the limit before I don’t think it will make a huge difference. Could be wrong.

The amount of big blokes you see on tiny boards is testimony to what can be ridden.

Try and put it out of your mind somehow and just reinvigorate. :wink:

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:56 am

it's all about the gap between the amount of calories you take in, and the amount you burn.. basically you need to shrink the gap. So you can either eat less, exercise more, or both.

I think this one belongs in the surfing mums forum....

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 am

spongeInside wrote:it's all about the gap between the amount of calories you take in, and the amount you burn.. basically you need to shrink the gap. So you can either eat less, exercise more, or both.

I think this one belongs in the surfing mums forum....
Yes, and don't forget that muscles burn up more calories per day than fat.

What worked for me about 8 years ago was a book that recommended:-

1. super-slow (ie. 10-15 seconds) weight repetitions x 5 to 8 times for about 5-10 minutes a day. Reverse pushups (ie. pushdowns), sit-ups etc.

2. super-hydration being about 10-20 litres of ice-cold water per day. This burns calories and takes your mind off the lack of food (see 3).

3. cut the calories substantially and build up slowly over a 6 week period

4. go for a 15 minute walk after your evening meal

5. sleep well

The book was called someting like "A Flat Stomach in 6 weeks". I dropped 8 kilos in 6 weeks.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:41 am

You will have to excuse young smnmntl miami old sport, he suffers from a little rage in the mornings and remains unloved until he can get into the stockbrokers bar at about 10.30 am.

There are encouraging signs however, that his instability and fragile mental state is on the improve - although his lack of punctuation is dissapointing.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:54 am

Larry wrote:dissapointing.
:shock: :D

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 am

In dont like the way fat people look at me. I feel like a damn lamb chop around em. One even licked their lips at me at Warriewood shopping centre the other day.
It makes me sick !

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 am

pureley a ploye rico - entireley delliberate - I'm a busy man

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:25 am

OK.

a) what the HELL would Larry know about exercise, he struggles with a walking frame.

b) miami, sounds to me like you need to set yourself a challenge unlike any of your prior workout or diet regimes. Running 5k track times at your late 20s pace is all great but most forms of exercises tend to obey the Law Of Diminishing Returns -- in other words, keep doing the same thing and you'll get less and less out of it over time. Couple that with the slight changes to male metabolism that tend to occur around 30-odd and you've got that five kilos hanging round for as long as it wants.

The fact that you do run distances suggests to me that you're into challenges of some sort.

Here's a thought, physically what CAN'T you do? What haven't you had much of a go at -- or when you briefly have tried, you've been a bit crap at?

You're the bloke with the answers here, ya just haven't asked the question right yet.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:29 am

After each meal, stick your fingers down your throat and throw up any contents you just ate. It works for all you favourite Hollywood starlets. Purge that shit, you fat fcuk! Yeah!