Wait or is that Weight - I have a problem?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 am

Hi miami13,

Have you ever tried cycling (both road and mountain)? Road cycling is a good, non-impact method to get your heart rate up and work off the excess calories, especially when riding up big hills.

Are you based in Sydney? The Northern part of Sydney has got good rides with nice hills (Bobbin Head Road, Akuna Bay, Church Point, Galston Gorge, etc). And believe me, when you are half way up a hill struggling in your lowest gear, you'll definitely be wanting to be rid of those extra kilos!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 am

OK it's easy
For both weight and self esteme METH

Dislaimer: This is a temporary short term solution to a longer term problem and where the short term suposed benifits will be outweighed by loner term effects and is not endoresed or recommended by Realsurf or any forum members except KK

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:15 am

Larry wrote:pureley a ploye rico
figured as much, it wasn’t lost on me Laz. Guess my sign language missed the mark.

Waiter, another cream bun for KK!

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:19 am

chrisb wrote:
2. super-hydration being about 10-20 litres of ice-cold water per day. This burns calories and takes your mind off the lack of food (see 3).
:roll: That amount of water can kill you, puts stress on your organs , your blood thins and oxygen does not get to vital organs.

A couple of other people I know have died from this.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

They'd taken eccy's
I'd do 10L a day on chemo, 20 would not stay down

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:27 pm

You can exercise more or eat less.

I've got to that stage in my life where if I want to lose weight I try to eat less, because exercising more is just too much to contemplate.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 pm

You can buy all the fancy weight loss books, DVDs, fitness magazines etc, but at the end of the day, there's only one simple equation you need to bear in mind if you're thinking about weight gain and weight loss. It applies to all people except for those extremely rare ones with organic or other unusual causes for weight gain.

energy in - energy out = energy stored

In other words, you store energy (usually as fat) when you consume more energy than you expend.

Obviously enough, we consume energy when we eat food. We expend it both by physical activity, as well as just "being" (i.e. energy your body burns just to keep it functioning).

That equation is the fundamental science behind all weight gain and loss.

If you want to lose weight, you need to create the condition for an energy deficit, by adjusting the in / out part of the equation, or usually, both sides of the equation at once (i.e. eating fewer calories and increasing activity levels).

How you choose to achieve that is up to you, based on what activity you like doing and what works for you. If you need help to figure it out, just get a decent personal trainer for a few sessions to point you in the right direction.

5kg is nothing at all. With a proper plan and motivation, you could lose it in weeks - and I'm talking proper, sensible weight loss not crash yo-yo diet nonsense. You'll need to put in the hard yards though. If you're not sweating and hurting, you're kidding yourself.

ps - a 5km run is nothing and you shouldn't expect any serious results with it. You're probably only burning a few calories.

SMW1

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:07 pm

embrace the body you have ....

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm

Doing a brisk walk for 5kms would be better for you than running your 5kms as fast as you can.

By running you raise your heart rate up into the 80% range, that is cardio

By doing a brisk walk, you hit the 60% range, that is where fat is burnt. Fat burns from duration of exercise not intensity.

And super slow sets have been shown to do nothing extra. Just more pain and temporary pump.

Get a pedometer, it sounds silly, (why would you want to know how many steps you take?) but half of exercise is mental. A pedometer makes you aware of how much you are walking and so it gets you into a habit of walking more. They are cheap and are in chemists and most supplement stores.

All the powders like Horleys Ripped say that they work with carb blockers and stuff but i havent seen anyone shred fat from it so i wouldnt bother. Maybe try an isolate protein as a meal substitute, something like the horleys ice or the optimum nutrition 100% gold whey (tastes the best and mixes great). this will fill you a bit, just like a meal but because its an isolate they can reduce the fat content and sugar content. It has basically no fat! No matter what supplements you take, your base and most important factor is diet.

Maybe start a program or a chart in your office or kitchen or bathroom. Write out the exercise you want to do then highlight it (a fully highlighted chart makes you feel great). It should keep you focused and strict about how long you exercise for and what you do. Change the routine every 8 weeks for the same reason NC said.

If you do fun things, exercise isn't a chore, join a footy team or exercise with a mate. Heaps of older guys play for 5th grade rugby, it isn't rough at all, the tempo is low in comparison to others and its very social.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:00 pm

crooked wrote:
chrisb wrote:
2. super-hydration being about 10-20 litres of ice-cold water per day. This burns calories and takes your mind off the lack of food (see 3).
:roll: That amount of water can kill you, puts stress on your organs , your blood thins and oxygen does not get to vital organs.

A couple of other people I know have died from this.

Absolutely. Plus drinking alot of cold water slows / stops cell division within your body until your core temperature normalizes.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:12 pm

tootr wrote:This is a pisser!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nsP4QsMiFA

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm

chrisb wrote:
I don't mean to be argumentative, but that's plainly ridiculous.

I agree that proper hydration is important though. I try to get through 3 - 4L water/day when I'm training.

SMW1

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:50 pm

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:Absolutely. Plus drinking alot of cold water slows / stops cell division within your body until your core temperature normalizes.
No offense but your an idiot :wink:

pinhead
barnacle

Re: Wait or is that Weight - I have a problem?

Post by pinhead » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 pm

miami13 wrote:it is proving very difficult to shake that last 5 kilos .
I'm in Victoria, I put on an extra 5 kilos (worth of rubber) every winter. It is a bit arduous at first, but I seem to adjust. Maybe you should wait and see how your paddling fitness inproves. The period of inactivity would be a bit of a double wammy. Extra weight plus less strength to propel it across the water.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:40 pm

yanks r us wrote:
--++sunstroke++-- wrote:Absolutely. Plus drinking alot of cold water slows / stops cell division within your body until your core temperature normalizes.
No offense but your an idiot :wink:

I'll start listening when you learn to spell. No offense of course :wink:

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 am

Well i guess you have to stick by your words against yourself...there aint no word "alot".

Excuse me for now, im just gonna down a few ice cold waters which with stop my cells growing hence live longer. But i have to say drinking water that alters my core temp....hmmm nice one, where'd you get that :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 am

yanks r us wrote:Well i guess you have to stick by your words against yourself...there aint no word "alot".

Excuse me for now, im just gonna down a few ice cold waters which with stop my cells growing hence live longer. But i have to say drinking water that alters my core temp....hmmm nice one, where'd you get that :lol:
yanks do you comb these forums looking for someone to disagree with.

how about helping the guy who asked for help.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:25 pm

When I was a wee laddie and in PRIME condition, a couple of us worked out how to stay that way - despite work and family etc, and it is as follows

Park the car at Warriewood surf club
Run north along the beach and up the stairs, then along Cooks Tce, and down onto MV beach
Run to the pool and then do 12 laps

Retrace your steps back to the car, eggxzaccerly

Then continue south via the cliff base, swim over to the blowhole, continue on to the point

Run around the point and reach Turrimetta beach, run up to the track to the road

Continue up to the trig point on top of the point, kiss it

Run back down to the car

and remember - this is a Winter routine - gyms are for sissies