lights on the beach at night

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

lights on the beach at night

Post by marcus » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:23 pm

heres an idea, ive been swimming at night for years, and the only time ive had company was on my 21st birthday when my mates joined me.
one way to beet the crowd problem could be for the councils to take some of those lights from footy fields and put them at the beach so everyone can surf any time of day they like.
the crowds would be smaller, and the wind conditions are almost always better at night.
only problem i see is the expence of electricity and legal issues if anyone drowns.
they did it at cronulla abot 10 years ago for a night comp, but the council complained.
i think it was because a surfer pissed on an influential persons front lawn.
cheers
marcus
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

walloper
regular

Post by walloper » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:28 pm

I remember a few years ago watching that night contest at Bondi, that was unreal, but it would never become a permanent thing. People these days love to complain about anything, there's always someone out there determined to spoil something that will be fun for someone else.

As for the crowds with night surfing, I think you'd find it would cause large crowds. Lights would only ever appear at some beaches if it happened, say Bondi, Manly, maybe a couple of others. With wind conditions at night often favourable, there's a good chance a lot of surfers would want to get on it. Pile all those people into a few small areas and you're probably likely to have 30 people per peak at any given time if there's a decent wave around.

I agree with you that surfing at night is good fun, I'm always keen for it, but like you it's hard to ever recruit anyone. Really does add another dimension to your surfing when you have to guess what the wave is doing.

chrisb
Owl status

Night surfing

Post by chrisb » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:10 pm

Interesting concept but what about the noahs? I'm paranoid about surfing in murky water, let alone completely black water. I recall TC saying after that night comp at Cronulla (circa 1987) that he was worried about what lay beneath. Remember "Jaws"?
As an aside I watched some locals night surfing (under moonlight) in Waikiki 3 years ago - they said to me that they didn't worry because they only had friendly about sharks there ???!!.
I reckon that public liability issues will (if they haven't already)destroy night surfing.

marcus
Owl status

night lights

Post by marcus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:21 pm

hey i forgot to mention,
my brother and i have duct taped dolphin torches onto our boards and or helmets a couple of times at a well known perfect reef down the coast at night.
it was soooo good, and when i got out of the water, i saw him going through a tube and lighting up the barrel, you should try it sometime.
a few of the guys that were out late after the arvo session had a laugh but some of them gave it a go and stayed out with us.
and for the walk back, which usually means stubbed toes at night, was fine as we had torches.

cheers
marcus

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:24 am

The fear of big fish means I don't make a habit of it, but have done it (night surfing) a few times. I remember once when there was a lot of phosphoresence about was pretty magical.

So do you worry about sharks or just put it out of your mind? I would have thought the risk was genuinely higher at night and not just a psychological factor but haven't actually seen any stats on it - though I'm pretty sure I've gotten more sharks at night when fishing.

jackjackjack

Post by jackjackjack » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:02 pm

well i reckon if you were surfing a reef that breaks right onto the rocks, you could set up your own flood lights. Get a set from Bunnings Warehouse, prop them up on the rocks and head out. Since the break is only 20-30 metres out, it'll be bright as day.

I have one particular spot in mind, but i'll keep my mouth shut.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:39 pm

How good would that be?!?! But you'd have to be careful where to put them up.... floodlights on the (probably good) surf would give out an open invitation to anyone with a view of the spot.

I know I'd bloody join ya!

toot

Nite

Post by toot » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:12 pm

I have heard of nite surfing at various beaches where the carpark is really close by. Get a bunch of mates to point their headlights out there and away ya go.

Dont forget ya jumper leads!

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:20 pm

Wonder if shark attacks would increase if night surfing became a regularity

marcus
Owl status

phospherescence

Post by marcus » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:01 am

oh hows that phosphoresence, i was watching huge shark island from the cliffs one night at about 4am and it was glowing green and blue on the foamball and whitewash, my mate called me on my mobile to say hed finished working at a night club, i told him to come down and check it out.
he didnt believe me, (even though weve surfed in the phospheresence at cronulla point a few times).
anyway he came down to the point and checked it out, and this biiiig barrel goes though surge (end of island) and the foamball and spit went all red with flouro green and blue lip and whitewash.
we were standing there screeming(stoked) like little girls, would have been anoying for the people living in the flats there to have grown men screeming outside at 4am, haha
cheers
marcus
ps, dont you love the way you can spit it out of your mouth and it goes flouro, and as for sharks, dunno, sometimes im scared but its worth it.
just put noahs out of your mind.like surfing a new out of the way reef, everyone will say its sharky untill its crowded.

I & I

Post by I & I » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:08 am

Seems like a bit of a concern with sharks so I can't imagine it would be too crowded with lit up night surfing . Sydneys so crowded at the moment I'd gladly pay a few bob for night lights .
I've surfed heaps of sharky spots and had to leave the water 5 times in a hurry . I'd feel way safer night surfing Sydney , than some of these other places at noon on a sunny day .
They say to avoid shark encounters avoid surfing at dawn and dusk .
Set lights up and so we can avoid these sharky times and get uncrowded waves !

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:36 pm

That night surf contest (the beaurepaires) at cronulla back in the 80's was fantastic. The surf was pretty crap - but because I was I surf crazed grommet, mum let me out at night and i got my first taste of herb, met heaps of girls and pissed on some lawns - a great start to life!
Night surfing is still pretty cool, but now I go for the super early, very first light at Sth Curly or DY Point because the lights at the pools also light up the line up!!

tube5
Grommet

Post by tube5 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:16 pm

I surfed at Cronulla for 2 nights before that Beaurepairs contest started when they were testing the lights........geeeez it was frigging nightmare. It was almost impossible to see the sets as they approached.....& the glare from the lights was blinding once you were on a wave. I was sitting out the back when they turned the lights off...ever tried surfing in the pitch dark?? Surfing under lights was an unusual experience I will always remember...but it wasn't THAT good.

Schwez
regular

Post by Schwez » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:03 pm

When Collaroy is working (yep, rarely), sometimes the light eminating off 'Flight Deck" is just enough to illuminate the area. Otherwise, once a month at full-moon time, the boys and I are out there and when its good, it shits all over day-surfing.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:05 pm

dont do this at home kids

one night i had some left over glow sticks from fishing and noticed a nice bank, so went home, grabed my booger, cut open the glow sticks and rubbed that glow stuff into my wax, went surfing and cut my hands on the board, seems the glow sticks have glass in them.
cheers
my board looked cool tho, didnt have to wear a leash as i could see it glowing it i lost it.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:47 pm

i think it was because a surfer pissed on an influential persons front lawn.
bunch of animals arent we!

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:28 pm

ive surfed perfect 6ft nias at night, the full moon was so bright it was easier than hittin it for the supa earls, f@#k, half the camp was on it! and ive also surfed bow way past midnight a few time when its been good for the late so we just stayed out. its hard to see the waves comin, but ya can just sit on surge and you can FEEL em comin in! then once ya up and ridin the lights of manly show the contours in the face really well......once when i did it i was a grom and got home sooooo late my mum was absolutely FREAKIN! she was about to call the cops and everything. and jackjackjack, f@#k mate thats a good idea eh!......ill chip in for the floodies eh!